Our financial system is crumbling this week.

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
haltz
Hall Of Famer

Re: Our financial system is crumbling this week.

Post by haltz »

They know if they push it, consumers will be on to the next dumb beer trend before they can sell what they're sitting on.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I think beer just isn’t as noticeable since it has already nearly doubled in price over the last 10 years. At least for everything other than your domestic standards (Bud/Miller/Coors). Despite their bro re-branding, Stag remains a bargain.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

strictly about groceries, feel like they've been going up since like, 2018 or 2019

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Arthur Dent wrote:
January 17 22, 4:29 pm
G. Keenan wrote:
January 17 22, 4:19 pm
Beer, weirdly, has not gotten more expensive which I would expect it to considering everything that goes into a beer/can like aluminum, grain, hops, gasoline to ship it, etc. Those all seem super vulnerable to supply chain problems and inflation. Maybe they have gotten more expensive but these urban hipsters realize that $12.99 - $15.99 for a 4-pack of hazy IPA was already an act of insanity and don't want to push their luck any further.
I’m telling you, we need more conspiracy thinking about this. Surely, in Chicago, the Nation of Islam is on the case?
Biden secretly invoked the Defense Production Act in FISA court to cap beer prices lest the masses lose our favorite opiate.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I haven't noticed any grocery hikes either, but I'll admit I don't pay a ton of attention to it unless it's egregious. I don't think I'd notice cereal going up 20 cents or whatever. Milk is the same, but I know groceries also keep milk low on purpose.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

In college econ 101 classes, they tell you that in a free market, shortages never occur because it is in the interests of sellers to raise their prices to the point where they can sell without shortages. It’s kind of fascinating to watch the real world example where many retail sellers seem to impose some kind of non-legal restraints on themselves regarding large price hikes and seem to actually prefer shortages and rationing (buying limit of no more than 3 of this item, etc) over big price hikes.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Arthur Dent wrote:
January 18 22, 10:52 am
In college econ 101 classes, they tell you that in a free market, shortages never occur because it is in the interests of sellers to raise their prices to the point where they can sell without shortages. It’s kind of fascinating to watch the real world example where many retail sellers seem to impose some kind of non-legal restraints on themselves regarding large price hikes and seem to actually prefer shortages and rationing (buying limit of no more than 3 of this item, etc) over big price hikes.
I wonder if social media is a factor there. In the old days it might be easier to pull off, but today you can imagine someone taking pictures of receipts or price tags.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

microsoft buying activision blizzard will benefit me in the short term but ultimately this is more bad capitalism and will end up harming the consumer

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Supply chain problems about to get a lot more interesting now that Omicron is in China. They still have a zero Covid policy so are locking down entire cities & regions. Shutting factories completely for weeks on end. You leave your house and you go to jail. That kind of lockdown.

American companies need to stop making everything we buy in China. It's becoming super problematic on like every front.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

G. Keenan wrote:
January 19 22, 1:37 pm

American companies need to stop making everything we buy in China. It's becoming super problematic on like every front.
yes but you can't maximize profits with american workers in american towns