movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: movies

Post by Jocephus »

go birds wrote:
May 3 22, 8:47 am
did i hear about the podcast The Rewatchables here? If not, it's a good podcast by Bill Simmons who is actually a pretty likable dude when he's not waxing poetic about boston sports.

Anyway, i'm listening to the Austin Powers episode and absolutely loving it because:

1) they talk about So I Married An Murderer--my favorite movie of all time that alot of people either haven't watched or even heard of
2) they drop an interesting nugget--apparently there was a huge rift between Mike Meyers and Dana Carvey that i had never heard of. in fact they apparently hated each other. Dr. Evil is based off of a Lorne Michaels impersonation that Dana Carvey would do behind the scenes of SNL. Also according to simmons, Meyers is very difficult to work with, which is something i found to be unexpected.

Anyway, interesting stuff.

i think i can see MM being difficult...or at least, he has his ideas on how things should be done

i've heard of the mike/dana tiff, partially 'cause howard brings it up every time DC is on the show

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Jocephus wrote:
May 3 22, 9:00 am
go birds wrote:
May 3 22, 8:47 am
did i hear about the podcast The Rewatchables here? If not, it's a good podcast by Bill Simmons who is actually a pretty likable dude when he's not waxing poetic about boston sports.

Anyway, i'm listening to the Austin Powers episode and absolutely loving it because:

1) they talk about So I Married An Murderer--my favorite movie of all time that alot of people either haven't watched or even heard of
2) they drop an interesting nugget--apparently there was a huge rift between Mike Meyers and Dana Carvey that i had never heard of. in fact they apparently hated each other. Dr. Evil is based off of a Lorne Michaels impersonation that Dana Carvey would do behind the scenes of SNL. Also according to simmons, Meyers is very difficult to work with, which is something i found to be unexpected.

Anyway, interesting stuff.

i think i can see MM being difficult...or at least, he has his ideas on how things should be done

i've heard of the mike/dana tiff, partially 'cause howard brings it up every time DC is on the show
good stuff. my main takeaway is that i couldn't tell the different between david spade and dana carvey

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Carvey and David Spade host a podcast now. They just had Mike on. It never stops being weird to me how insecure all those guys and everyone else (say, Will Smith) are. Famous people, they're just like us indeed, People magazine.

I know they're human and everyone poops and everything. It's just weird to hear your childhood heroes sound like you working up the nerve to ask a girl out in high school.

Anyway anything there was squashed.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Jesus.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i assume disney has a say in that. disney are real pricks when it comes to showing their pictures. they demand so much that only the big chains can really get away with putting them on all those screens and the small independent theaters get F'ed. disney is actually a terrible company all told.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

It's a 25 screen theater that has showings as late as 2 AM, and by my count tomorrow(a more popular theater night if people aren't just there for that specific new release) there are 26 showings. Seems like that should work for everyone.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Not to mention it’s been just hot garbage at the theaters lately anyways

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
May 5 22, 12:56 pm
It's a 25 screen theater that has showings as late as 2 AM, and by my count tomorrow(a more popular theater night if people aren't just there for that specific new release) there are 26 showings. Seems like that should work for everyone.
I checked my local AMC which doesn't get the movie until tomorrow, and our 20-screen theatre has 46 showings.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

So you can watch the Cardinals play out west and still catch a three hour movie at 2 am. Sweet.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Here's what kind of sucks about it - the studios are pushing the theaters to enable big first weekends. Almost kind of a pump and dump strategy. Get 60% of your money and press in the first weekend, and by 3-4 weeks from that date, everyone's forgotten and you're on to the next thing. Studio has made it's money in rentals from theaters, and they move on to On Demand and/or whatever streaming deal they made.

Meanwhile, theaters make more per screening the longer a movies shows. Anything that builds over time is good for them, or anything people like to see multiple times.

This is why your popcorn costs $8. Theater has to make money somewhere.

cardsfantx wrote:
May 5 22, 2:06 pm
Not to mention it’s been just hot garbage at the theaters lately anyways
I've seen the first 2 of these, one good and one great, and heard good things about the other 2. Maybe a bit more mixed on the Cage movie. All of them are still out.

The Northman
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
The Lost City