movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: movies

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

X is a very good movie. One of the best I've seen in some time.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Jocephus wrote:
March 23 22, 7:45 am
Finally watched this. It's good. But he full on looks like The Crow in some scenes. Honestly, saying this without irony, I would have rather seen Lin Manuel Miranda's vision here. It would be far more subversive at this point. Also, now that malls are dying, where do goth kids hang out? In their Crow shirts?

Again, good movie. I just don't like the directional choice. Lame in its lack of creativity. Maybe the new Bond movies can be fun. With gadgets and entendre. But I'm expecting forty dialog free minutes of 007 in a gulag.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
April 18 22, 12:19 pm
Went to see it a couple weeks ago. Won't go that far but I enjoyed it. Took my oldest son which felt a little weird, but he's a mature kid.

If you stayed until the end and saw the trailer for the prequel, which I thought was just a random fun thing, apparently they're really doing that.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

ghostrunner wrote:
April 19 22, 9:07 am
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Went to see it a couple weeks ago. Won't go that far but I enjoyed it. Took my oldest son which felt a little weird, but he's a mature kid.

If you stayed until the end and saw the trailer for the prequel, which I thought was just a random fun thing, apparently they're really doing that.
Meant to say best slasher/thriller* I’ve seen in sometime.

I found it to be very original. It had the A24 Red Rocket/Florida Project vibe too.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
April 19 22, 9:50 am
ghostrunner wrote:
April 19 22, 9:07 am
Big Amoco Sign wrote:

Meant to say best slasher/thriller* I’ve seen in sometime.

I found it to be very original. It had the A24 Red Rocket/Florida Project vibe too.
Wow. Never mind what I said about the prequel. I guess it was already made. They had a 2 week break due to Covid issues, so he wrote it along with the lead actress, who's playing the younger version of the old lady and A24 OKd it while they finished filming X.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

The Batman is my favorite super hero movie of all time. *chef kiss*

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Michael wrote:
April 25 22, 6:01 pm
The Batman is my favorite super hero movie of all time. *chef kiss*
Really? I liked it... Didn't love it. I thought the acting was all well enough. Penguin portrayal was better than I expected.

One thing in the beginning irked me and I had trouble moving on.
[SHOW]
They kept showing everyone running in fear from the bat signal. Then he shows up in the subway with the joker gang and they ask him who the hell is he supposed to be? So is he feared or unknown? Hard to be both.

I also think we deserved a follow up with that game initiate showing that he has been scared straight and turned away from a life of villainy but I digress on that part

Superorganism
Veteran Player

Post by Superorganism »

I think the Riddler started strong then fizzled out. Knock off Se7en feeling. Movie was too long. But I enjoyed most of it. RPatt did a great job.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

The Riddler really felt like a horror/suspense thriller trope. Also, I don't know where my mind was at, but I really thought that opening scene where he straddled the mayor was about to get... uh... blue. There's a long extended clip with the Joker you can watch and he's basically the same kind of thing. I also couldn't get behind Something in the Way playing a few times in the background. "It's okay to eat fish 'cause they don't have any feelings." Isn't that just like Gotham City, when you think about it.

What could Tina Fey and Robert Carlock do with Batman? Or Taika? Or the guys from Everything Everywhere All at Once? Dark and gritty don't have to be the only vessels for Batman. Noir?

10 GRB cryptocurrency tokens says the sparkly vampire (I'm taking cheap shots, he was good), has to cut off an ear, finger, or toe to escape an Arkham cell in The Batman The 2. I'm honestly looking forward to Lego Batman 2 far more. My kids will love it, and movies can be fun. This is allowed.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Yeah, I love The Batman. I agree that the Riddler performance wasn't great once the mask came off, but that's just about my only quibble.

The Batman is the best origin story of Bruce Wayne I've seen in a movie. I LOVE that they brought back "weird/awkward bruce" like Michael Keaton in Batman '89. I also loved the more grounded/brutal combat mixed in with actual detective work - it's the perfect mix for the Batman universe. Additionally, I'm a sucker for movies with great cinematography and The Batman is easily the best looking super hero movie of all time. Gotham has never looked so good. Oh... and the batmobile is the best ever.

Before this movie Batman 89 was my favorite Batman movie. I can understand liking Nolan films more and I think they are good, but IMO they are mildly overrated. The Nolan films are more action oriented and the pacing is tighter, but The Batman is the better *batman* film. IMO the highs of The Batman are way higher than any highs in the Nolan films. Maybe the Nolan Joker scenes are on par but that's about it.