movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: movies

Post by ghostrunner »

vinsanity wrote:
August 25 22, 11:39 am
ghostrunner wrote:
August 25 22, 11:12 am
vinsanity wrote:
August 25 22, 9:35 am
Has anyone heard anything about 3000 Years of Longing yet?
Going to see it with the wife this weekend. Didn't really know much about it until today and saw that George Miller directed it. Had no idea. Thought he was busy with Furiosa this whole time.
Reviews seemed mixed; contributors seem stellar; I am still debating about going tonight to the cool Dolby Atmos theater at 8pm. I probably will.
Kan Kan? That place is great. That's where we're going.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

ghostrunner wrote:
August 25 22, 11:59 am
vinsanity wrote:
August 25 22, 11:39 am
ghostrunner wrote:
August 25 22, 11:12 am
vinsanity wrote:
August 25 22, 9:35 am
Has anyone heard anything about 3000 Years of Longing yet?
Going to see it with the wife this weekend. Didn't really know much about it until today and saw that George Miller directed it. Had no idea. Thought he was busy with Furiosa this whole time.
Reviews seemed mixed; contributors seem stellar; I am still debating about going tonight to the cool Dolby Atmos theater at 8pm. I probably will.
Kan Kan? That place is great. That's where we're going.
For some reason I first thought you meant Flix; I do the $20/month AMC and will hit up AMC 17 (free Imax is nice). I've not been to Kan Kan, do they have one of those special dolby rooms there, too? I probably need to keep an eye on them for smaller releases and older showings, short bike ride. Good call.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

2 of the screens are a bit small but it's a nice joint and they really do a great job. They film their own intros for some of the movies.

I have the AMC A-list thing but should probably turn it off. I like to support theaters though, even if it is a corp.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

3000 Years of Longing

Really different than what I expected from the guy that did Thunderdome and Babe: Pig in the City.

I wasn't immediately blown away but it was interesting. I'll be curious what @ghostrunner has to say about it.

No plot spoilers but I know some like to go in totally blind.
[SHOW]
It felt like it started a little slow. I'd say if you liked Cloud Atlas, you'll like this. If you didn't like Cloud Atlas....you may still like this.

I'm not usually a big effects critic but since this wasn't going for hyperrealism and the effects were fitting, I wish they would have done more to make it more visually interesting.

It's kind of a story about stories which seems to be a kind of common theme lately. I feel like there are some pieces there I probably missed. An interesting watch if you like those kinds of movies.

Minus 1 point for not saying "Welcome to Thunder dome, [expletive]" or "That'll do pig". Missed opportunities.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

vinsanity wrote:
August 25 22, 8:59 pm
3000 Years of Longing

Really different than what I expected from the guy that did Thunderdome and Babe: Pig in the City.

I wasn't immediately blown away but it was interesting. I'll be curious what @ghostrunner has to say about it.

No plot spoilers but I know some like to go in totally blind.
[SHOW]
It felt like it started a little slow. I'd say if you liked Cloud Atlas, you'll like this. If you didn't like Cloud Atlas....you may still like this.

I'm not usually a big effects critic but since this wasn't going for hyperrealism and the effects were fitting, I wish they would have done more to make it more visually interesting.

It's kind of a story about stories which seems to be a kind of common theme lately. I feel like there are some pieces there I probably missed. An interesting watch if you like those kinds of movies.

Minus 1 point for not saying "Welcome to Thunder dome, [expletive]" or "That'll do pig". Missed opportunities.
Seemed like the effects scaled down as it went. I loved the first flashback scene and I suppose I did hope for more like that once I saw it. Though there was also a theme of magic being less necessary and present over time.

I think the ending bugged me a bit just because it felt like it had 3 of them. Maybe Miller got up in his thoughts and feelings writing this one and wasn't sure how to end it. Still enjoyed it though. Honestly surprised it got made, because it's not a big action movie but clearly cost some money. But I guess if you deliver Fury Road you get some favors. Glad he was able to take advantage.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Cheap day at the movies coming up if you have a participating theater:

Thinking about going to see Jaws on the big screen, since there's nothing else playing at AMC that day that I'm interested in

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i had had some interest in this but watching this i guess its more like a drunk history version of a biography

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I respectfully disagree. This is the only way I'm interested in this, though honestly the old one with Aaron Paul has got to be plenty for this. I just couldn't picture Al getting serious about anything like this. It's gotta be silly. Sometimes too stupid to be funny. Sometimes absolutely hilarious: that's Weird Al. My kids are in a big Weird phase right now. It's fun. Still too many food songs though. God I love Weird Al.

Your comment made me think of his battle with Jenna on 30 Rock.
Jocephus wrote:
August 29 22, 1:00 pm
i had had some interest in this but watching this i guess its more like a drunk history version of a biography

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
August 29 22, 1:53 pm
I respectfully disagree. This is the only way I'm interested in this, though honestly the old one with Aaron Paul has got to be plenty for this. I just couldn't picture Al getting serious about anything like this. It's gotta be silly. Sometimes too stupid to be funny. Sometimes absolutely hilarious: that's Weird Al. My kids are in a big Weird phase right now. It's fun. Still too many food songs though. God I love Weird Al.

i love weird al too and im not expecting it to be super serious but at the same time, just instantly from the trailer i know so much is [expletive]. i dont think his parents were that mean, dr. demento wasn't int eh audience when he was "found" (Al was sending demento his tapes), all the madonna stuff, pushing away the band...all that stuff is just tropes to make something that weird isn't/wasnt. i realize there's gotta be drama, and this could be some meta 4d chess on the whole movie biography thing and al's getting a good laugh but i dunno. al's obviously involved in it so i respect it, and some actors i enjoy etc, but it just comes off as a drunk history episode to me.

my drunk history claim would seem to have some merit as looking this up on wikipedia and the movie is produced by funny or die.