movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: movies

Post by ghostrunner »

Box office mojo has been incorporated into IMDB, redesigned, and several features have been restricted to IMDB Pro. I can see they've tried to make it more mobile friendly, but a lot of the associated links (rank among other sci-fi movies, for example) are now pro features, and you've got to hunt through menus to find things.

The old site was maybe "ugly" but I have a fondness for text/link heavy sites.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

My wife and I agree on a Movie - "Rocketman" it sucks.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Saw “The Lighthouse”

Not sure if it was about 2 men going mad, or one. Or whether anything supernatural was occurring or not.
Knowing either isn’t that important but as to whether I liked it I’m not sure about that either. Have to think about it some more but I think I land somewhere around “ok”. Wasn’t ever especially engaged with the characters, but appreciated some aspects of it. I didn’t hate it.

Also think there were some projection issues, which I’ve read is a big problem with chain cinemas. When you’re not in the Dolby or IMAX theater, they don’t take as care to be sure it’s shown correctly. It’s a dark movie but the contrast was poor. I’ll probably try to watch again at home when it’s available.

The square aspect ratio was an interesting choice. I assume there’s some claustrophobic effect intended. Might be the first time I’ve encountered that in a theater.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Midsommar.

Like Hereditary, it was just OK. Anyone who says otherwise is just being pretentious. He's quickly becoming the wes anderson of his genre.

I will say the subject matter of his movies is original, and his ability to tie mental disorders into his movies as a central theme without shoving it down your throat is somewhat impressive.

The problem with his movies is that draw you in to search for deeper meaning but then quickly fall flat. Both times i was left feeling unfulfilled.

I dunno, maybe i'm a simpleton (which I am), but i think i'll pass on his next project.

/rant

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I tried watching Mission Impossible Fallout, but I couldn't get through it. I stopped around 2/3 in. There was a lot going on but it didn't make much sense and the stakes always felt super low. It felt like an action movie made in a test tube. All the elements were there but it completely lacked a soul. I have no idea why it reviewed so well.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Michael wrote:I tried watching Mission Impossible Fallout, but I couldn't get through it. I stopped around 2/3 in. There was a lot going on but it didn't make much sense and the stakes always felt super low. It felt like an action movie made in a test tube. All the elements were there but it completely lacked a soul. I have no idea why it reviewed so well.
This feels like a criticism you could make of most of the Mission Impossible movies, they've always kinda relied on forward momentum and novel/gimmicky operations to drive the plot to the big reveal and climax.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Michael wrote:I tried watching Mission Impossible Fallout, but I couldn't get through it. I stopped around 2/3 in. There was a lot going on but it didn't make much sense and the stakes always felt super low. It felt like an action movie made in a test tube. All the elements were there but it completely lacked a soul. I have no idea why it reviewed so well.
This feels like a criticism you could make of most of the Mission Impossible movies, they've always kinda relied on forward momentum and novel/gimmicky operations to drive the plot to the big reveal and climax.
I'm sure you're right. I hadn't seen one in ten years, but due to the reviews I decided to check it out. Popular movies now a days make me feel like an old man yelling at the clouds.

<shakes fist at MCU>

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

enjoyed "I am Dolemite" It's entertaining.
[SHOW]
enjoyed it not knowing it was based on true story, which makes it better. I spoiler because I don't know if your supposed to know it's based on real person
Re-watched "Winter's Bone" damn is that a good movie. Jennifer Lawrence is just great.

I remember someone here saying it is a form of Noir - JL21 perhaps - and that struck me as odd then. But not so much anymore. The little touches - the looming military service as a way out, her siblings on the trampoline. Junk everywhere. The dive bars and C-stores.

Watching that movie I can't help but relate to my little excursions in the Ozarks - how the place (and people) can be extremely beautiful
in a certain light or season, and appear harsh and stark in another light.