movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: movies

Post by lukethedrifter »

I saw Rudy Ray Moore do his standup at some club at that near abandoned mall in North County 15 or20 years ago. I’m not sure if I laughed once.

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

lukethedrifter wrote:I saw Rudy Ray Moore do his standup at some club at that near abandoned mall in North County 15 or20 years ago. I’m not sure if I laughed once.
Well then I guess the Dolamite is my Name movie captures his content accurately because I watched that and maybe smiled once or twice

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

letsgocards89 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I saw Rudy Ray Moore do his standup at some club at that near abandoned mall in North County 15 or20 years ago. I’m not sure if I laughed once.
Well then I guess the Dolamite is my Name movie captures his content accurately because I watched that and maybe smiled once or twice
I didn't find it all that funny. - Dolomite is my name and [expletive] up mother [expletive] is my game, is funny? It was decent period bio pic, obviously overglamourized.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I think--and I don't know, I'm just guessing--that it's like the first NWA album or something where it's like "oh this is radical!" In hindsight it's not that good, but it's radical at the time.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Parasite was good, but quite not what I was expecting. Directed by Bong Joon-ho. I loved The Host and Snowpiercer, and knowing a little about Okja I assumed some sort of sci-fi/fantasy conceit would materialize, but not this time. Sometimes not watching trailers backfires on you and I'd like to see it again with my expectations reset.

Still though, the same weird mix of humor, suspense and horror (the feeling, not the genre). Nobody else really makes these kinds of movies, though his stuff comes off sort of like high-concept Jim Jarmusch.

Also realizing that after this and Kingdom, I really need to watch more Korean stuff.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

33anda3rd wrote:I think--and I don't know, I'm just guessing--that it's like the first NWA album or something where it's like "oh this is radical!" In hindsight it's not that good, but it's radical at the time.
That's a terrible take in my opinion with regards to NWA. That is still my [stuff]!

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

ghostrunner wrote:Also realizing that after this and Kingdom, I really need to watch more Korean stuff.
Did you see Burning by Lee Chang Dong? It was my favorite movie of 2018 and is streaming on Netflix. 1-2 of his others have been popping up on the criterion channel lately too. Secret Sunshine was especially good.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

tlombard wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:I think--and I don't know, I'm just guessing--that it's like the first NWA album or something where it's like "oh this is radical!" In hindsight it's not that good, but it's radical at the time.
That's a terrible take in my opinion with regards to NWA. That is still my [stuff]!
"A B***c is a B***h" and "I Ain't Tha 1" and "Dopeman" take the casual misogyny introduced to the form by Slick Rick a decade earlier and elevate it to a violent unacceptable extreme and to me it just comes off as very dated in the worst way. I found it kind of funny that the biopic didn't include any of that. There's some stuff that still slaps too though. MC Ren on "If it Ain't Ruff" is just devastatingly good.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

33anda3rd wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Also realizing that after this and Kingdom, I really need to watch more Korean stuff.
Did you see Burning by Lee Chang Dong? It was my favorite movie of 2018 and is streaming on Netflix. 1-2 of his others have been popping up on the criterion channel lately too. Secret Sunshine was especially good.
Nope, but it's in my list now.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

ghostrunner wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Nope, but it's in my list now.
Train To Busan, on Netflix, is really fun if you like somewhat greusome action-thrillers with just a dash of melodrama.

If you like Burning* you'd probably have a really good time tracking down all the Lee Chang-Dong movies. He's made only six, and I haven't seen his debut which I don't think is available in the US, but the rest are all remarkable, three of them probably outright masterpieces. I would probably put Burning atop my list of favorite movies of the 2010s and both Secret Sunshine and Oasis would make my favorite 15 or so movies of the 2000s.

*and you're probably gonna love Burning it's truly remarkable and one of those movies that could have its own thread and we could discuss for days Just What The Holy Hell Happened Here? and What Does This All Mean? and Well What Would You Have Done In That Situation Because I'm Not So Sure I Can Say What I'd Have Done it's just do goddamn complex and subtle and patient in the way it tells the story and there's not one thing--acting, writing, directing, sound, light, costumes, not one thing--that isn't absolutely perfect. It's a perfect move. I probably thought about it for 3 weeks after seeing it the first time and just typing this makes me want to watch it again right away.