movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: movies

Post by Jocephus »

well instead of watching "the wrong missy" i watched "fun with dick and jane" (the jim carrey one) and "scary movie".

"Fun with..." wasn't very good, other than a couple moments of jim carrey being jim carrey. Tea Leoni...I never know what to think of her. She's not bad or anything but also not really unique.

then with "scary movie"...I don't think I'd ever seen any of these actually all the way through. I liked it more than "fun with...", at least it was kinda like a naked gun/slapstick movie of just jokes on jokes on jokes...some land and some don't. part 2 is on netflix as well so i may watch that today for something to do...what a life.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Fun with Dick and Jane will forever get a thumbs up from me, if only for the scene where Alec Baldwin pivots from using Walden Pond as the reason for the company going up in flames, to yelling at Dick to step away from the helicopter he’s fleeing in.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

^baldwin is probably one of my favorite actors but he's barely in "fun with...". if he didn't show up at the end i would have forgotten he was in the beginning.

i watched "scary movie 2" and it was terrible. well, there was one scene between chris elliot and david cross, which i'd seen before and liked, and i still liked it again but the rest of the movie was a chore. not that scary movie 1 was some high bar, a great comedy classic but this was [expletive]. the kind where you start doing other things half way thru.

i see that "uncut gems" has been added to netflix. i want to watch it but i get antsy when the program (tv or movie) is just stress, stress, stress.

GeddyWrox
Perennial All-Star

Post by GeddyWrox »

Watched Melancholia over the weekend. Visually stunning in parts. Clearly a lot going on. I found most of the characters insufferable some/most of the time. But I think that was by design. The "science" behind it bugged me in parts too but I can look past it. I was interested in the apparent connection between Kirsten Dunst's character and the new planet, and was kind of disappointed it didn't go into that more.

In reading about it after watching, I see it is as much as study of depression and anxiety as it is a sci-fi movie. So that clears some of the writing/plot choices that landed flat for me. I may go back and watch it again with the new-found perspective. And I may just hit pause for a while when Kirsten Dunst is laying on the river bank :-)

mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Post by mikechamp »

Watched "Another Earth". It features Brit Marling. If you know nothing about her, she tends to work on quirky, independent films with a message. This was certainly one of them. There are a couple of plot holes, with one being pretty big, but overall not too bad. A lot of the story deals with the guilt of accidentally killing people (via car accident). While you see the other Earth in the sky, the movie never actually takes you there, so don't get your hopes up.

But the last 10 seconds of the movie leave you wanting more... and also leave you with a couple questions.

At only 90 minutes of run time, I give it a 7 out of 10.

mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Post by mikechamp »

For those who are excited about the upcoming movie "Tenet":
Christopher Nolan Says He Crashed a Real 747 in ‘Tenet’ Because It Was Cheaper Than Using CG

Christopher Nolan isn’t giving away any secrets about his latest film “Tenet,” but he was proud to boast about a stunt in which the crew blew up a real 747 plane because he said it would actually be cheaper than doing the same stunt with CGI.

The latest trailer for “Tenet” concluded with a scene in which a grounded plane crashes into a hangar, and Nolan explained in a recent interview with Total Film that the stunt wasn’t a model or a replica and especially wasn’t digitally made.

“I planned to do it using miniatures and set-piece builds and a combination of visual effects and all the rest,” Nolan told Total Film. “We started to run the numbers… It became apparent that it would actually be more efficient to buy a real plane of the real size, and perform this sequence for real in camera, rather than build miniatures or go the CG route.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/chr ... 56023.html

andymoor
AA Minor League Player

Post by andymoor »

Galveston 2018 - 7/10

I quite enjoyed this. Nothing new or spectacular, but held my interest for most of the film and some good performances.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Post by mikechamp »

A little bit of news on Matrix 4. I'm tentatively excited as of now. And I had to laugh at Moss's quote, considering the fate of her character in Matrix 3.
Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss Tease ‘Matrix 4’ Return: ‘Never Thought It Would Happen’

It’s been nearly two decades since Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss played Neo and Trinity in “The Matrix” trilogy, and not even the actors thought they’d ever be back as their legendary movie heroes in a fourth “Matrix” movie. “I never thought that it would happen,” Moss tells Empire magazine about “The Matrix 4” in a new interview. “It was never on my radar at all.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kea ... 00933.html

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Jocephus wrote:
June 9 20, 7:51 am
Watching that all I can think is that it sucks getting old.