Cronos passed away

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Kyle
Perennial All-Star

Cronos passed away

Post by Kyle »

Cronos - real name Paul Deatherage (https://www.facebook.com/paul.deatherage.3) - passed away from complications with pancreatitis a couple weeks ago. This is just something I happened to see on his twitter account (https://twitter.com/Cronos006/status/12 ... 4177448961 - see the top reply).

Paul was one of the long-time members of this board, registering all the way back in 2006. Although he didn't come around much anymore, he still has the 9th-most posts in GWB's history. He was obviously a big part of the community.

Very tragic news, especially considering he was only in his late 30's. I think I first got to know him back on the STL Today message boards.

RIP Paul

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Cronos passed away

Post by JoeMcKim »

So sad that someone so young could die of cancer like that. If someone was in their 80s it would still be sad but acceptable that he's lived a full life. Condolences to his family.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Oh my god, I had no idea. I’ve met Paul and chatted with him numerous times, as I’m sure many of us here have. He was a profoundly good and kind person. I’m heartbroken.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the New GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

No words. Godspeed old friend.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

Post by Radbird »

Incredibly sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Paul, both in St. Louis and when he traveled to Colorado a few years ago and we met him at the Mountain Sun Brewery in Boulder (sound familiar, zeus?) - always enjoyed our conversations. He was a thoughtful, intelligent, humble guy. Somewhere there are pics, probably lost on an old phone or in the ash heap of photobucket, but I’ll check through my backups and see what I can find.

RIP, my friend. 💔

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

Post by Radbird »

Found this post from the NLCS game 2 GDT last year.
Cronos wrote:
October 13 19, 1:02 am
Despite the outcome, Mama Cronos and I had a great time attending it.

[SHOW]

We're not giving up yet. Nor should you.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

I'm not one of the ones who got to meet him, but I still feel like I've known him for 14 years. What a strange feeling. RIP.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

wow, awful and shocking news. i saw this post late last night but didn't know what to think or say. i think he was around my age, mid/late 30s. he always seemed like a regular dude. RIP

I found an obit - https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/stlto ... &fhid=5885

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I was thinking about him just a couple of days ago and wondering what was up with him. I often think of him when I go to the Main Post Office in Louisville, because he got into a big feud several years ago with some guy from Louisville whose Lutheran church was near there. I often laugh when I pass that church.

I really enjoyed Cronos' posts over the years. Didn't he earn a Master's in Psychology several years ago? I assumed he was busy working as a counselor or therapist somewhere.

I never got a chance to meet him, but I still have an incredibly generous private message from him. I am so sad to learn that he died at such a young age, with so many possibilities ahead for him, and so much to offer others.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Got a drink with him in Phoenix when he was in town visiting his brother like 10 years ago. Great guy. Still have a "Paul - Cronos" contact in my phone.

He freaking loved the Cardinals and one of my most hilarious vivid memories as a moderator was in 2011. That wild postseason ride was too much for him to handle and we had to temporarily lock him out because he was just out of control emotional and was lashing out at posters. I unbanned him right before the end of game 7 because we never wanted him to leave, we just wanted him to survive that crazy rollercoaster of emotions the team put us through by giving him a little break.

Rest in peace, Paul. You loved trying to understand people and worked hard to help them when they couldn't help themselves. Smart, kind, and passionate about the Cards, for sure. This is a huge loss for the online Cards fan community. Flashchat legend!