Bowling.

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Bowling?

Yes
75%
No
8%
White Lion
8%
Shaddap Leroy
8%

Total votes: 36

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Bowling.

Post by lukethedrifter »

I don’t like bowling but i like bowling night so once a month i have a bowling night at tavern. Bowling attire is allowed but not required.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Leroy wrote:Wow, this is over 10 years old.

Odd thing is, I have been working at a bowling alley now for almost three years.

Man, I could tell you some stories.

And whoever said that about league bowlers, yes they can be. Probably one jackass out of every four or five, but the few make up for it in their level of jackassesness.
Many years ago (my mid to late 20s?) I was in a men's bowling league at Sunset Lanes when a friend of mine bowled a 300. Unfortunately I wasn't there because he was actually filling in for me since my broomball league started that night and our game was the early one which conflicted with bowling (the other start times did not). After we finished broomball I looked at my phone and saw a picture showing that the friend filling in for me bowled a 300. I accused him of editing the score before sending me the picture but he stuck to his story.

The next day I called the bowling alley from work to ask if somebody in the men's league the night before bowled a 300 and the guy who worked the desk sounded disgusted when he said, "Yeah, the guy with the 149 average." I just started laughing, said, "Thanks," and hung up the phone. I finally accepted that he wasn't lying at that point. When he got his ring and jacket from the ABA a few weeks later, it was really indisputable.

The league was full of old guys who took their bowling seriously and then us who didn't care one bit how we did. We were there to drink beer and have a good time. They gave my friend the stink eye and complained BARELY behind his back about how he didn't deserve to bowl a 300 because his average was only 149 and he didn't use his thumb. These old coots just couldn't handle it that the kid who didn't take the game seriously enough for them bowled a 300 when none of them ever have. About the only person in that bowling alley who liked us was the bartender. We probably accounted for 80% of his tips on the nights we bowled though.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

Documentary Now! had a bowling episode this season. I highly recommend.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

tlombard wrote:
Leroy wrote:Wow, this is over 10 years old.

Odd thing is, I have been working at a bowling alley now for almost three years.

Man, I could tell you some stories.

And whoever said that about league bowlers, yes they can be. Probably one jackass out of every four or five, but the few make up for it in their level of jackassesness.
Many years ago (my mid to late 20s?) I was in a men's bowling league at Sunset Lanes when a friend of mine bowled a 300. Unfortunately I wasn't there because he was actually filling in for me since my broomball league started that night and our game was the early one which conflicted with bowling (the other start times did not). After we finished broomball I looked at my phone and saw a picture showing that the friend filling in for me bowled a 300. I accused him of editing the score before sending me the picture but he stuck to his story.

The next day I called the bowling alley from work to ask if somebody in the men's league the night before bowled a 300 and the guy who worked the desk sounded disgusted when he said, "Yeah, the guy with the 149 average." I just started laughing, said, "Thanks," and hung up the phone. I finally accepted that he wasn't lying at that point. When he got his ring and jacket from the ABA a few weeks later, it was really indisputable.

The league was full of old guys who took their bowling seriously and then us who didn't care one bit how we did. We were there to drink beer and have a good time. They gave my friend the stink eye and complained BARELY behind his back about how he didn't deserve to bowl a 300 because his average was only 149 and he didn't use his thumb. These old coots just couldn't handle it that the kid who didn't take the game seriously enough for them bowled a 300 when none of them ever have. About the only person in that bowling alley who liked us was the bartender. We probably accounted for 80% of his tips on the nights we bowled though.
Cool details.

What should we have for dinner, honey?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

1. "The Ginger Assassin." If you believe it, you can do it indeed.

2. The other guy's name is Butturf. That's solid.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I think this highest score I've ever gotten without rails is 140. LOL

I still enjoy it, even though I totally suck at it.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

My bowling alley closed during the pandemic. 2020 just keeps taking.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

heyzeus wrote:
April 12 21, 12:22 pm
Mine closed several years back. It was doing "ok-ish" but the family that ran it just didn't want to deal with it anymore. Sad.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

GeddyWrox wrote:
April 12 21, 12:28 pm
heyzeus wrote:
April 12 21, 12:22 pm
Mine closed several years back. It was doing "ok-ish" but the family that ran it just didn't want to deal with it anymore. Sad.
My bowling alley had the best greasy enchiladas in the entire city, and a bar run by a gruff and filthy mouthed older lady named Janet who was hilarious. And the drinks were all absurdly cheap (like $2.25 for well drinks). But alas, Covid shut them down, and the land the alley sits on in central Austin is probably now worth at least $10 mil.