The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I like last year's version of The Show (2020) still. Wonder if I can use live rosters for that?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

ghostrunner wrote:
April 22 21, 8:26 am
Man, I was playing last night and I'm a little overwhelmed with the amount of options and modes in this game. Then there's Stubs which let you buy cards and other stuff, but I don't know what it's for. I assume it's for online play but I don't really know.

I wish there was a bit more help/explanation available within the game. The practice option and hitting/pitching/fielding explanations are really helpful though.
yeah i imagine there's gonna be a lot i dont even bother with. in my prior baseball video gamin' i'd always just do a season as the cardinals and play each game over the course of time, etc. now...i dont know...i think i'll play that "road to the show", where you create yourself and just play your way up from the minors etc. a streamer i'll watch plays the show sometimes and does that mode and looks like it really streamlines things, where you only "play" when your character is actually involved, the rest is simmed. seems like i also saw a "simulation" mode, which i assume is like, from manager or GM perspective. might give that a shot...but actually just playing a season, like i used to. i dunno. plus, the cards team isn't that great so it wouldn't be all that fun probably hah.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

As someone who has never played nor owned The Show, I'm curious: in GM mode, how hard is it to execute trades?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

omg, i just started the "road to the show" mode...all i said in the setup to my "agent" was i wanted to play for a national league team. short little cutscene and it shows the diamondbacks calling my cell. then it cuts to real video, of mlb network guys talking about this draft pick. jonathon mayo says "i was surprised, i thought he was a 3rd rounder"...F you mayo. then jim callis was like positive. i laughed.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Lol. Now that I’ve gotten some time with it I’m liking the overwhelming variety of options. The Challenge of the Week is good for practicing. Really liking the Conquest mode which is like a board game almost but you still have to play 3 inning games which is also nice when you don’t have time to play a whole 9 innings.

Still couldn’t tell you how to get to any one mode without going through the menus.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i'm a two way player in the road to the show. pitching is easy but my hitting was starting to slack bad...until i switched to the right joystick hitting method. that definitely simplifies it and makes it more fun. i'm also bad at the minigames for pitching, batting, etc increases you can play inbetween games. and i hate baserunning. i try to just let the AI do the running but sometimes they just stop at 1B instead of going to 2nd on a clear double, etc....so then i try to manually adjust but then i'm being thrown out at 2nd. then, my guy is a power hitter but sometimes i'm on 1st and the manager says "steal a base"...i'm always out by miles...i dont know why that happens but if i dont attempt the steal its like i failed it or whatever. i made my character a freak, he's like 6'10. and i'm a real A-hole on the bases when i hit a homer.

i recently told my agent "i wasn't expecting to be in the diamondbacks organization". will see if i can slide over to StL, 'cause why not. that said, some amazing double AA stadiums i'm playing in with tremendous back drops.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

ive heard there were leveling up/progression issues but that a patch, last week, has corrected that. i didn't know what the timeline normally is (in RTTS) so i didn't necessarily notice other than my guy was destroying AA and AAA and still not being called up, etc. that said, after the patch i got called up and finished out the 2021 year...the dbacks didn't make the playoffs, we were like, 10 games under .500, the padres won it all. its weird to see the rosters in this universe. rizzo is on the giants, aaron nola and buxton are on the padres to name a few.

in the 2022 season, as a starting pitcher, ive logged about 30 innings and have like, 80 strikeouts. as a batter, my ops is near 1.000 but its all slugging...never walk. its too tempting to swing. my homerun trot animations would get me killed but they are hilarious. there is one animation where you literally fly like superman for the last few steps across home plate.

still some technical issues i see. granted im on xbox 1 but game can feel real laggy/sluggish at times, since it always wants to be online, i.e. bad servers. they give you the option to press A to kinda speed up cutscenes, keep things moving but it seems you can overload it 'cause sometimes it just can't keep up, etc. i hate the whole opening of packs, getting players and all that crap, though i dont really ahve to deal with that playing RTTS. that's just a gross part of sports games nowadays though. since i'm a 2 way player, i have 2 player loadouts 1 for hitting and 1 for pitching. it *usually* gives me the option to select loadout before each game but i notice it doesn't always apply...'cause when i'm pitching and throwing 85, i know it didn't apply my pitching loadout (my guy should throw his fastball at around 98). baserunning is pretty bad in my opinion and the camera angles can really F you over in some instances... as a hitter, sometimes i cant tell if its a double, a homerun, a caught ball etc and as a fielder sometimes the camera just does not cooperate. and if you happen to go in on a ball for just a second but then have to start peddling back, you can just be absolutely screwed over. these are mostly minor things, still fun to have a proper baseball game...but the game aint perfect thats for sure.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I find pitching easier but I've improved at hitting. I like the Zone hitting, but it's frustrating that that changes depending on what mode you're in. Same for baserunning. Some modes don't use buttons for advancing on the bases, and I jump around a lot and can't keep track of which modes use that or the left stick.

Also really sick of Mark DeRosa, and you can't seem to turn off announcing unless you just turn the volume all the way down. Probably what I'll end up doing.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

Audio clips don't take up that much space. I'm surprised you still have to stick to one announcing duo anymore. You'd think they could release DLC with more announcers.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

AdmiralKird wrote:
May 6 21, 1:00 pm
Audio clips don't take up that much space. I'm surprised you still have to stick to one announcing duo anymore. You'd think they could release DLC with more announcers.
More a time consumption/pay issue I would guess. They must spend hours recording it.