The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by IMADreamer »

Finally got my corn planted so I have some time to play the show. I guess I haven't played an official baseball game since maybe the days of PS2. Needless to say I was blown away. I can't believe how good it looks, how fluid the player motions are, etc. Also the classic stadiums are awesome. Wish there were more. The game is really fun too. Admittedly I've done a lot of home run derby so I can sort of explore the stadiums but I have played a few exhibition games as well and last night started a road to the show.

A buddy of mine landed an extra Series X this week so I told him I'd take it. I'm going to get it later in the week so I'm curious to see how it improves the graphics if any.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

It's frustrating how bad I'm hitting in this thing, which is no different from the old 2k days honestly. I've tried all the modes. Also how good some people online are. I struggle to complete a lot of those missions/moments. There's a Shohei Ohtani mission where you have to pick up 6 hits and 3 xbh over 3 games and I just can't get it.

I do seem to do better just picking a spot and trying to pass up on everything else. I'm [expletive] at reacting to anything though when it's 0-2 or whatever. Sliders and curves off and below the plate fool me every time.

It's so nice though to be able to just play for 15-30 minutes and not have to invest in an hour long game.

Stoutdude04
Single A Minor League Player

Post by Stoutdude04 »

ghostrunner wrote:
May 10 21, 12:16 pm
It's frustrating how bad I'm hitting in this thing, which is no different from the old 2k days honestly. I've tried all the modes. Also how good some people online are. I struggle to complete a lot of those missions/moments. There's a Shohei Ohtani mission where you have to pick up 6 hits and 3 xbh over 3 games and I just can't get it.

I do seem to do better just picking a spot and trying to pass up on everything else. I'm [expletive] at reacting to anything though when it's 0-2 or whatever. Sliders and curves off and below the plate fool me every time.

It's so nice though to be able to just play for 15-30 minutes and not have to invest in an hour long game.
I haven't played The Show in a few years, but have you tried changing the camera angles? Some of the angles make it a real challenge to see the pitches. I can't remember which one I liked best, but there were only 1 or 2 that seemed any good. Sitting on high fastballs and low curves or sliders is typically a good way to beat/compete online. I usually looked low early in the AB and high fastball late in the AB and just tried to foul pitches off when I got to 2 strikes.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

im in 2022 in my RTTS. i'm on diamondbacks and we are 27-43. i'm a SP/RF 2 way player.
i'm 7-1, 91IP, 0BB, 208K, .59 era, .26whip, 24 hits allowed, 6ER, 20.57 k/9, -1.29FIP (you can have negative fip?).
In 162ABs, I have 66 hits,14 2B, 24 home runs, 44 rbi, 26 runs, .407/.405/.938, 1.343ops, 0BB, 6Ks, 1.000fielding.
I'm at 6.6 war.

im yelling at my agent to get me out of here.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i suppose it was obvious to happen but still...1 game, 3 console generations. cant even imagine how much money they've made from shark cards

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

They reckon they're going to re-release it for PC with the enhanced graphics (like, built using the RDR2 engine?) Not sure.

Anyway, we people playing the current game are getting a ton of new race content soon - a bunch of new stunt tracks and an underground car meet place, with no guns allowed.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i ended up uninstalling gta5 about a month ago. rockstar patched something i didn't care for. on xbox, you could basically perform some actions to get into gta online, in a solo lobby thus being able to complete certain tasks (that must be done in a public lobby) without having [expletive] completely ruin your fun. it harmed no one but xbox decided to patch it out.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Stoutdude04 wrote:
May 12 21, 1:02 pm
ghostrunner wrote:
May 10 21, 12:16 pm

I haven't played The Show in a few years, but have you tried changing the camera angles? Some of the angles make it a real challenge to see the pitches. I can't remember which one I liked best, but there were only 1 or 2 that seemed any good. Sitting on high fastballs and low curves or sliders is typically a good way to beat/compete online. I usually looked low early in the AB and high fastball late in the AB and just tried to foul pitches off when I got to 2 strikes.
There's a generally recommended angle which is basically as close as you can get behind the plate and that seems to be the best option.

I think I've gotten better. There's this one moment/mission which probably took me 50-some attempts to complete and I think it actually helped me stop swinging at junk. Tatis Jr hitting for a homer against Trevor Bauer and Bauer throws crap off the plate constantly. Finally just stopped swinging after 2 strikes until it got to 3-2 and then once I settled into that groove I hit a first pitch for a home run. Sliders running off the plate are still hard to pass up though. More about knowing when they're going to throw them. Seems like the CPU is easier to predict but online players are easier to adjust to mid-swing. The pitches look slower somehow, but maybe I'm imagining it.

A month in and I feel like I'm just getting the hang of where all the different missions and options are.

Stoutdude04
Single A Minor League Player

Post by Stoutdude04 »

Yea, I remember feeling overwhelmed a few years ago. I can only imagine how much more in depth it has got.

I used to only play online and would play guess pitch off with HOF or Legend difficulty, so I got pretty good at recognizing pitches, but still struggled to hit the low slider that starts a touch inside and high fastballs that are a ball or 2 higher than the zone. I did always like the weekly hitting matchup thingy they did where you only get 3 outs and there are point multipliers for stuff. Not sure if they still do that or not where the person that takes first that week wins a signed baseball/hat/whatever that weeks prize was. Best I finished was like 11th one week and I was thrilled. Won no prize though. ha

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Jocephus wrote:
May 18 21, 12:25 pm
i ended up uninstalling gta5 about a month ago. rockstar patched something i didn't care for. on xbox, you could basically perform some actions to get into gta online, in a solo lobby thus being able to complete certain tasks (that must be done in a public lobby) without having [expletive] completely ruin your fun. it harmed no one but xbox decided to patch it out.
On PC, there's a solid 20-30% chance of any lobby you join having at least one modder spoiling everyone's fun, so I understand your frustration.