Let's Talk about sweet cars

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Let's Talk about sweet cars

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Popeye_Card wrote:
April 22 21, 11:45 am
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
April 22 21, 11:33 am
Popeye_Card wrote:
April 22 21, 11:17 am
April 22 21, 11:12 am
Buy a motorbike.
I have one.

But my wife can't ride it.
Selfish.

Cool bike!
She has some injuries from a previous car accident that exclude her from riding a motorcycle comfortably, even if I had a seat for her.

She would love the Vanderhall though. We drove a Slingshot a few years ago, and she loved that. But I don't really dig their looks. The Vanderhall has both sweet looks and the fun factor.
I always (which is maybe three times) think guys look silly in their helmets driving around Portland in their Slingshots. The Vanderhall looks much cooler (is a helmet required?), and seems like a great motorbike alternative or stripped down way for having fun on the road.

It would be interesting to have that much power so close to the ground.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Three-wheelers fall into a really weird category where I believe they are titled as motorcycles, but do not require a motorcycle license to drive it. The helmet requirement sounds like it is an Oregon thing - they are not required in Ohio for three-wheelers while they are for motorcycles.

Morgan still makes a three wheeler that look even sweeter. But they are expensive as hell ($45k), and less than half the power.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Curious, in your experience does the three-wheel experience feel like the naked or exposed feeling of riding your motorbike? It's a good feeling.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

April 23 21, 1:27 pm
Curious, in your experience does the three-wheel experience feel like the naked or exposed feeling of riding your motorbike? It's a good feeling.
My experience is fairly limited to this point, but I would say it is pretty different than a motorcycle. Much more like a go kart. Or like a Jeep with the doors and roof off, only way closer to the ground.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I've always been intrigued by the Can Am Spyder. But they're kinda pricy and don't get all that great gas mileage (IIRC). But I bet these are fun as hell to ride.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Michael wrote:
April 22 21, 6:17 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
April 22 21, 11:08 am

This thing looks cool, but how should it be used? If is fast or is it more about "the ride"? Can you take it out on a highway?

IMADreamer wrote:
April 22 21, 11:41 am

Audi RS7. I think it looks incredible and every review I've read/watched say it is. So I hope it is. We have to go Indianapolis to see it.
That's a "car guy" dream.

I always thought one of those three wheel jobs were cool. I can just imagine cruising on a warn fall day with the leaves turning.

As for the audi. It is definitely a dream car. I've always loved long and low sedans. It's such a stupid financial decision it we are in a great place financially so if not now then when? I'm excited to get it. We are going out west for two weeks this summer and I think the car will be awesome to go out in the mountains in. Anyway, headed to the dealer tomorrow morning.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I've owned this RS7 for almost a month now. I can say I and I swear it isn't hyperbole, it could be the best car ever built. Reliability is TBD, and I suspect it will be not great, but that's what extended warranties are for. It's just insanely comfortable, easy and fun to drive, the tech is super cool and it gets a reasonable 23mpg combined considering it's a 604hp rocket ship. On the highway it looks like I'm getting closer to 27mpg.

What surprises me the most is how many people ask me what I do for a living. It just happens randomly at a gas station, and it's happened twice in a drive through. Anyway, sometimes really stupid purchases are the best.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

IMADreamer wrote:
May 14 21, 9:16 pm
I've owned this RS7 for almost a month now. I can say I and I swear it isn't hyperbole, it could be the best car ever built. Reliability is TBD, and I suspect it will be not great, but that's what extended warranties are for. It's just insanely comfortable, easy and fun to drive, the tech is super cool and it gets a reasonable 23mpg combined considering it's a 604hp rocket ship. On the highway it looks like I'm getting closer to 27mpg.

What surprises me the most is how many people ask me what I do for a living. It just happens randomly at a gas station, and it's happened twice in a drive through. Anyway, sometimes really stupid purchases are the best.
You mind throwing up a pic....I gotta see that beast.

Was it easy to find? I figured you were going to have to order it

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Update on the Vanderhall. We went and test drove one a couple weeks ago. They really need to put a different engine in it. The turbo has good power, but it sounds just horrific, and the throttle response is just bizarre. The styling and fun factor are certainly there, but it would be better with just a naturally aspirated 4-banger, even if it was only pumping out 150 hp. That's still plenty of power for the weight.

And offer a real manual transmission. The manumatic with the bump shifter kinda sucked - there was a good 2-3 second lag, and it's just not the same without a clutch.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:
March 9 21, 9:22 am
Michael wrote:
March 5 21, 11:57 am
If my current car breaks down I'll likely get something like a Subaru Crosstrek or a Mazda CX-30. They seem to be really good practical small all-weather city SUVs.

However, if I ever decide to get a mid-life crisis car I'm likely going with a hot hatch. For whatever reason I've always loved them. The 2022 Golf R would be on the short list:

So fun and tossable.
Hot hatch?

Sporty hatchback? Looks like something out of a Euro thriller flick.
very happy with our Subaru crosstrek after 70k miles. I beat the hell out of it and transported 18ft SUP.and canoe on it at same time. I had two SUPs and 2 bikes on it once. handles the one or 2 significant snows we get every decade or so in Stl like a champ. been a few places I probably "shouldn't' have been with it with no problem. its still has a 15k fmv at least