Let's Talk about sweet cars

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Let's Talk about sweet cars

Post by IMADreamer »

Michael wrote:
March 5 21, 11:57 am
If my current car breaks down I'll likely get something like a Subaru Crosstrek or a Mazda CX-30. They seem to be really good practical small all-weather city SUVs.

However, if I ever decide to get a mid-life crisis car I'm likely going with a hot hatch. For whatever reason I've always loved them. The 2022 Golf R would be on the short list:

So fun and tossable.

Hot hatches are so cool. That golf R would be a blast.

and Rad, that sounded like a pretty sweet fringe benefit. lol

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

Richie Allen wrote:
March 5 21, 9:27 pm
Never thought I'd voluntarily admit to driving such an old person's car and I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to say it qualifies as sweet but I love our 2019 hybrid Camry. It was only about $5000 more than the comparable Prius, which we test drove for a block and turned around after having driven the Camry. Gets about 45 to 50 miles to the gallon on the highway and around 55 to 60 in town. But the key to this being a fun drive is that it's one of the most responsive cars I've ever driven. I haven't had race cars in the past but I've had a Camaro and a Fiat Spider and this car is much more fun to accelerate than either of those. I've heard the negative arguments about hybrids but I'm not out to save the planet driving this thing but It's nice to go 500 miles on $25 of gas and the battery apparently plays a major role in the car's acceleration. Image
It hurts a little to say this but I like the new Camrys alot. Especially the TRD, but I am kind of a secret ricer so there's that.

https://www.toyota.com/imgix/responsive ... o=compress

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Michael wrote:
March 5 21, 11:57 am
If my current car breaks down I'll likely get something like a Subaru Crosstrek or a Mazda CX-30. They seem to be really good practical small all-weather city SUVs.

However, if I ever decide to get a mid-life crisis car I'm likely going with a hot hatch. For whatever reason I've always loved them. The 2022 Golf R would be on the short list:

So fun and tossable.
Hot hatch?

Sporty hatchback? Looks like something out of a Euro thriller flick.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

My brother has been a dedicated VW R driver for years. He loves it.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Richie Allen wrote:
March 5 21, 9:27 pm
Never thought I'd voluntarily admit to driving such an old person's car and I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to say it qualifies as sweet but I love our 2019 hybrid Camry. It was only about $5000 more than the comparable Prius, which we test drove for a block and turned around after having driven the Camry. Gets about 45 to 50 miles to the gallon on the highway and around 55 to 60 in town. But the key to this being a fun drive is that it's one of the most responsive cars I've ever driven. I haven't had race cars in the past but I've had a Camaro and a Fiat Spider and this car is much more fun to accelerate than either of those. I've heard the negative arguments about hybrids but I'm not out to save the planet driving this thing but It's nice to go 500 miles on $25 of gas and the battery apparently plays a major role in the car's acceleration. Image

Toyota used to have the blandest cars on the market, but they've really improved in that area. Compared to other mass market brands I think their cars/suvs are solidly above average looks wise. That's a massive improvement from the same company produced this ugly thing:

Toyota's current designs with their awesome reliability is a great combo.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Jocephus wrote:
March 9 21, 11:09 am
edit - ha ha I misread "stream" vs "steam"

Hearing these things drive is wild. Not surprisingly they sound like trains.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

The new Camrys are nice.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

Toyota has another car I'm interested in down the road. The new Supra. "enthusiasts" meaning idiots on the internet who will never be able to afford one hate it, however it's a really good car and while I don't think pictures do it justice they look amazing in person. I definitely think there is investment potential there.
I'd like to pick up a 2020 or 2021 sometime around 2026 and see what happens. Image