Let's Talk about sweet cars

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: Let's Talk about sweet cars

Post by Michael »

Thanks but mid size SUVs are too big for my garage.

I may get a hybrid Lexus NX but I hate spending money on cars. The city destroys them

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Michael wrote:
January 30 22, 10:02 pm

I may get a hybrid Lexus NX but I hate spending money on cars. The city destroys them
Did you like the Prius that you test drove? I had one a few years ago and really liked it. Shocking amount of room to haul [expletive] around with the back seat folded down and the hatchback. I'd probably just pick up a used one if I were in your situation and not worry too much about it.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

haltz wrote:
January 30 22, 11:17 pm
Michael wrote:
January 30 22, 10:02 pm

Did you like the Prius that you test drove? I had one a few years ago and really liked it. Shocking amount of room to haul [expletive] around with the back seat folded down and the hatchback. I'd probably just pick up a used one if I were in your situation and not worry too much about it.
I loved the Prius. More then I thought I would. We drove from the Grand Canyon to Vegas in it. The seats got a little uncomfortable after sitting in it for 4 hours and the acceleration is sluggish, but overall I was really impressed. We got around 55 MPG on our drive. It's a legit excellent city car due to its size. The Prius knows exactly what it is and has no pretense about it. However, in the winter it would be a problem in our alleyway. In fact our neighbor has gotten one stuck pretty bad in the snow. That's why we would prefer a crossover with a higher ground clearance and AWD.

The upcoming Corolla Cross Hybrid (the Hybrid version is coming this year) is likely the best city car that will fit all our needs. Smaller for the city, reliable, great gas mileage, good price , etc. However I was hoping to get something a little bit nicer and a bit bigger. The Corolla is an economy car and my wife might use it to drive around clients. I don't need Lexus level but I was hoping to get a near loaded compact crossover like the CX-5, RAV4, Forester, CR-V, etc. However, the Lexus is tempting because the dealer is willing to sell a Hybrid at MSRP and I have a deposit down. If that's the case it would be a pretty good deal in this market. RAV4 Hybrids are going for something like 5k over MSRP around here. At that point I might as well get the Lexus. The RAV4 shares the same platform as the Lexus NX. It would be a little big for our garage, but at this point I feel like I'm running out of options. Subaru's are ridiculously supply constrained and are selling for way over MSRP.

The car market is so annoying right now.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Remember when this thread was about sweet cars and not CX5's and Priuses? We should take that talk to the "Let's talk about cars that provide good value and are surprisingly better than their boring reputation might indicate" thread.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Ha ha so true. You can blame me. I did start my post with "Not a sweet car discussion" but...", but point taken. Mentioning Toyota and Lexus is particularly unsweet. They scream "I see cars as a tool not something to enjoy". The middle aged seat discussion was particularly galling.

Although, at this point any car you can find for around MSRP is pretty dang sweet.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Michael wrote:
January 31 22, 10:22 am
Ha ha so true. You can blame me. I did start my post with "Not a sweet car discussion" but...", but point taken. Mentioning Toyota and Lexus is particularly unsweet. They scream "I see cars as a tool not something to enjoy". The middle aged seat discussion was particularly galling.

Although, at this point any car you can find for around MSRP is pretty dang sweet.
This is so true it's sad.

Don't sleep on Lexus though they have some great cars that tend to fly under the radar because of the Lexus stigma. The RCF, LC, ISF, GSF, etc are all awesome vehicles. I am sure the hybrid NX is fantastic.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

IMADreamer wrote:
January 31 22, 10:59 am
Michael wrote:
January 31 22, 10:22 am

This is so true it's sad.

Don't sleep on Lexus though they have some great cars that tend to fly under the radar because of the Lexus stigma. The RCF, LC, ISF, GSF, etc are all awesome vehicles. I am sure the hybrid NX is fantastic.
Lexus can make excellent enthusiast cars, but the NX ain't it. The hybrid version has a CVT transmission ha ha (hybrid's have to). It's a luxury commuter vehicle. It's really great for that purpose, but I'm not going to fool myself in to thinking folks like you are going to respect it.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Michael wrote:
January 31 22, 8:52 am
The upcoming Corolla Cross Hybrid (the Hybrid version is coming this year) is likely the best city car that will fit all our needs. Smaller for the city, reliable, great gas mileage, good price , etc. However I was hoping to get something a little bit nicer and a bit bigger. The Corolla is an economy car and my wife might use it to drive around clients. I don't need Lexus level but I was hoping to get a near loaded compact crossover like the CX-5, RAV4, Forester, CR-V, etc. However, the Lexus is tempting because the dealer is willing to sell a Hybrid at MSRP and I have a deposit down. If that's the case it would be a pretty good deal in this market. RAV4 Hybrids are going for something like 5k over MSRP around here. At that point I might as well get the Lexus. The RAV4 shares the same platform as the Lexus NX. It would be a little big for our garage, but at this point I feel like I'm running out of options. Subaru's are ridiculously supply constrained and are selling for way over MSRP.

They just keep getting bigger. The latest iteration of the RAV-4 appears to be about the same size of my old 2002 Highlander.

From a size perspective, have you considered the Subaru Crosstrek? It shares a platform with the Impreza so would solve your garage issue. Seeing the empty new car lot and showroom at our local dealer, I understand your concern regarding Subarus. They keep asking me if I want to sell our ‘20 Legacy back to them.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Radbird wrote:
February 2 22, 6:50 pm
Michael wrote:
January 31 22, 8:52 am

They just keep getting bigger. The latest iteration of the RAV-4 appears to be about the same size of my old 2002 Highlander.

From a size perspective, have you considered the Subaru Crosstrek? It shares a platform with the Impreza so would solve your garage issue. Seeing the empty new car lot and showroom at our local dealer, I understand your concern regarding Subarus. They keep asking me if I want to sell our ‘20 Legacy back to them.
That was the car that was originally on the top of my list. Then I noticed the Forester wasn't any wider then my current car and a bit shorter. It also seemed a little bit nicer and more practical. That got me looking at other compact crossovers like the CX-5, Rav4, etc. Subaru is one of the most supply constrained brands on the market right now and their cars are going for way over MSRP. At this point I'm driving myself crazy.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

The kid has a 2017 Forester and loves it.