Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

lukethedrifter wrote:
August 3 20, 6:04 pm
I just got back from an epic trip to Montana. It was fantastic. I need to retire.
Wondered where you got off to.

Where? I used to visit my sister in Hamilton. Blow-you-away beauty. There is a lot of that up there.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Kayaked, hiked, camped (in a camper), drank beer, saw lots of critters but no bears, watched Gardiner MT nearly burn to the ground.

Glacier NP, Gates of the Mountains/Mann Gulch, Missouri Headwaters, Butte, visited some step family in Missoula. Plus a bit of S Dakota.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

What’s the best photo sharing site these days- figuring I’ll have to pay?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

thrill is going to take me fishing some time.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

lukethedrifter wrote:
August 3 20, 6:15 pm
Kayaked, hiked, camped (in a camper), drank beer, saw lots of critters but no bears, watched Gardiner MT nearly burn to the ground.

Glacier NP, Gates of the Mountains/Mann Gulch, Missouri Headwaters, Butte, visited some step family in Missoula. Plus a bit of S Dakota.
We are heading that way next year. We've decided to do two weeks and try and hit the Tetons and go north up through Montana. We are sorting the details still. I'm so excited, it can't come quick enough.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Btw Freed is a beast on that stand up paddle board

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

lukethedrifter wrote:
August 3 20, 6:17 pm
thrill is going to take me fishing some time.
Come down for Cards spring training and we'll hit the Everglades or the Keys.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

been wondering about freed, glad he's chillin

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Jocephus wrote:
August 11 20, 4:36 pm
been wondering about freed, glad he's chillin
All good (or mostly) -which counts for all in today's scheme. Just got back from trip to Colo (Breck) -state seems busy with tourism , and wildfires. Hope you haven't been to affected by it, and the Covid effect on colleges.

Had to take a GRB break, for all good reasons - new grandbaby, spent 37 days in NICU during COViD to get going , but she is now all healthy and then some (5 months) - my daughter is a single mom and my wife and I help her all we can. i never stopped work working in Covid. Virtual GRB had to take a backseat.

my wife got stuck between career jobs when covid hit, and like a bad ass works night shifts at a hardware retailer. With my wife's night shift and us helping with grandbaby, every now and then I am the lone person taking care of an infant overnight. I forget how hard, but great this is. (props to GRBrs with infants,/small children)

Anyways, like a lot of people my priorities and perspective has changed in last 6 months .

outdoors stuff has been great safe and fun for me...it is a logical outlet. Roadtripped to Seattle with my brother to deliver my niece's car to her (she was travelling nurse (on Covid floor) who decided to stay there. lot of fun, my first time thru Montana, Idaho. My niece was awesome tour guide. definitely going back to Washington state

we got away early Summer to Greers Ferry Lake and Heber Springs Arkansas -and that area is cool and beautiful. (but dry for like 50 miles) . Way prettier than lake of the ozarks or table rock area IMO

Threw myself into paddling the SUP. like Biking, a lot people are paddling more these days. I paddled the MR340 on a SUP my friend built (you have 85 hours to cross Missouri on a paddle craft) . Become a river rat. Hope all is well with GRBers!

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Getting the family outdoors this summer:

1) This counts as serious glamping, but we did a houseboat in Voyaguers National Park a couple weeks ago. It was my first time there because why deal with motors when the BWCA is next door? It was interesting, and I'd consider it again. It was originally supposed to be a BWCA trip, but we switched to the houseboat to accommodate my in-laws, who are no longer able to do the BWCA.

2) Actually heading to BWCA this coming weekend. I was supposed to be doing a father-daughter 3-day weekend on the Superior Hiking Trail. I wanted to give my daughter a taste of backpacking because I think she'd like it. Plus, I wanted to use it as a warm up for taking her to Isle Royale next summer. We were going to go with another father-daughter combo, but unfortunately, her friend has a leg injury. A 3-day weekend with a pack on is against doctor's orders. So we had to scrap that plan, but we were lucky enough to find an entry permit for the BWCA on short notice. So, we're making the most of it. After going often to the BWCA pre-kids, I've realized how infrequently I've gone since then. Looking forward to some paddling for a few days.

3) We postponed a trip to Glacier last year for all the obvious reasons, but have it rescheduled for this year. I missed some camping reservations in the park, but am banking on nabbing a first-come, first-serve site after we get there. Looking forward to day-hikes there.