Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by lukethedrifter »

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... 452&ev11=1

CYBERDEAL19 discount code gets this one into your ballpark. Close anyway.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Was thinking a garmin inreach would be cool way to spend this upcoming load of REI dividends. Not sure of my need for it ...it would be a maaajor upgrade to my safety communications on solo journeys , maybe too much so.

Currently my communication -it is sometimes having cell service and sometimes remembering to share my journey plans and ETAs with my wife. Which is generally fine for the 1-2 days in areas I am usually familiar with.

'
Roam far and wide without worrying your loved ones. The Garmin inReach Explorer+ satellite communicator is a GPS tracker, navigation tool, 2-way satellite messenger and SOS device all in one
I guess I'd have to do MR340, to keep in crew contact, to make it worth the purchase

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Freed Roger wrote:Was thinking a garmin inreach would be cool way to spend this upcoming load of REI dividends. Not sure of my need for it ...it would be a maaajor upgrade to my safety communications on solo journeys , maybe too much so.

Currently my communication -it is sometimes having cell service and sometimes remembering to share my journey plans and ETAs with my wife. Which is generally fine for the 1-2 days in areas I am usually familiar with.

'
Roam far and wide without worrying your loved ones. The Garmin inReach Explorer+ satellite communicator is a GPS tracker, navigation tool, 2-way satellite messenger and SOS device all in one
I guess I'd have to do MR340, to keep in crew contact, to make it worth the purchase
My wife uses the free RoadID app whenever she goes for a long run. You set it up with phone numbers for contacts and it will send occasional text updates to those numbers along with a link to track their route. If more than a defined period elapses with no movement (i.e. you've been injured), it sends alert messages/phone calls and whatnot.

Granted, you have to stay in cell coverage for everything. But it's also free.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Swirls wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Was thinking a garmin inreach would be cool way to spend this upcoming load of REI dividends. Not sure of my need for it ...it would be a maaajor upgrade to my safety communications on solo journeys , maybe too much so.

'
My wife uses the free RoadID app whenever she goes for a long run. You set it up with phone numbers for contacts and it will send occasional text updates to those numbers along with a link to track their route. If more than a defined period elapses with no movement (i.e. you've been injured), it sends alert messages/phone calls and whatnot.

Granted, you have to stay in cell coverage for everything. But it's also free.
The limitations of RoadID app would cause too many false alarms for my use. And I don't take a cell on most routine things But glad to know about it. I wouldn't mind my daughter trying that.

Garmin Inreach's messaging is satellite GPS based, rather than cell. At least that is my understanding. Again, it is probabaly more than I need for typical use. (Unless Mrs Freed wants to find what tavern I paddled or rode to) hoping to do some longer multi-day adventures in upcoming years -that would be great. Wouldn't hurt to be able to send out a text at night though, a lot of Ozarks arent covered by cell.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Running Wild Bear Grylls show on Nat Geo - he goes to Swiss Alps with Alex Honnold. Fun stuff. Hmmmm what is this upcoming Brie Larson episode.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Fellow fisherman--i am seeking advice.

I will be taking a long weekend in the mountains of Colorado and am looking to get back into fishing.

However, I've never fished for trout before.

What i need advice on:

1) can i bank fish for trout? I most likely will not be getting into the water as it may be moving to fast, but will consider pending the current.
2) a buddy of mine made recommendations on a rod/reel--can anyone make a recommendation on a type of line and flys/lures? If anyone is familiar with colorado, I'll be fishing in the Platte River and i believe there are various different types of trout--rainbow and brown.
3) any tips on catch/release? I've read that's extremely important (though i dont even expect to catch anything LOL)
4) any other tips on equipment

I fished as a child, but mostly for bass/catfish so i'm not too unexperienced. This will be strictly recreational as in i plan on just sitting outside the door of my cabin and casting my line into the river.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

So, much like bass fishing, what you're looking to do is understand structure/habitat and feeding patterns.

Colorado trout this time of year are going to be biting like crazy from like a half an hour before dawn to an hour after. During the heat of the day, they go deep, into cooler water and generally stop feeding. As the sun starts to set, the feed kicks in again about an hour before sunset. At night the big boys still come out to feed, so you could have some fun with a headlamp and a rod.

I could give you wayyyyyyy more advice about how to catch them on the fly, but generally speaking if you're looking to keep it simple you'll grab a couple simple spoon lures and you'd fish it a lot like fly fisherman fish streamers (flies tied to imitate baitfish).

Here are the most important things:

1) time/temp - you'll catch way more in the most productive times I mentioned above, but you'll have some luck any time if you can figure out where the fish are in terms of depth. During non-peak hours seek out shade! As the temps heat up, fish conserve energy or move to cooler water (deeper, near springs, or in the shade) and won't spend any energy coming to your lure when resting, so you pretty much have to drift it in front of their nose.

2) structure/habitat - Can't go wrong casting ahead of and letting it drift in close to logs, boulders, overhanging vegetation, overhanging cutbanks, or essentially anywhere you would hide if you were a fish who wasn't trying to get eaten by a hawk or other predator but still wanted to feed as much as possible. When you get to the river and start paying attention, you'll start to get a feel how the currents are basically food conveyor belts by being patient for a while and just watching. You'll see rising fish keying in on specific channels or funnels where the natural current carries insects through the water.

3) presentation - You don't want to fling your lure and have it splash close to the fish, you want to lead it like a wide receiver. Cast above where you think the fish is by 10-12 feet and use the current to carry your lure into the place where you think they might laying up. When imitating a bait fish like you are with a lure, small minnows and other prey fish can get swept into currents through these likely feeding zones and recognize they're in danger and will struggle against the current to get back out into more open water where they can flee from trout. So a great technique when you've identified a spot where you know or suspect a trout is, cast above the spot, drift the lure into the spot, and then begin reeling in trying to imitate what a struggling, potentially wounded minnow would look like trying to get away. Think herky jerky, quick bursts, but not sustained, long retrieves.

4) youtube - I guarantee there are a ton of tutorials on the Platte. It's very, very famous in trout fishing circles. I'm certain there will be many quick tutorials about fishing the platte you can check out in advance.

Gear will be easy. You just need a fairly typical rod with typical line that you would use for bass and a few spinner lures. Doesn't have to be fancy and you can probably use whatever you already own. Fly fishing is all about imitating the local food sources while spin fishing is more about triggering a predator response using movement and flash. Another fun thing I always like to do is visit a local fly shop, spend a few bucks, and try to get local intel. Fly fisherman are much more guarded about giving that away. I bet you can go to pretty much any sporting goods store in the area and get some good lure recommendations. You won't need any waders, nets, or any of that crap if it's just a fun, low key trip.

Have fun! I'm v jealous.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

thrill wrote:
July 9 20, 12:38 pm
So, much like bass fishing, what you're looking to do is understand structure/habitat and feeding patterns.

Colorado trout this time of year are going to be biting like crazy from like a half an hour before dawn to an hour after. During the heat of the day, they go deep, into cooler water and generally stop feeding. As the sun starts to set, the feed kicks in again about an hour before sunset. At night the big boys still come out to feed, so you could have some fun with a headlamp and a rod.

I could give you wayyyyyyy more advice about how to catch them on the fly, but generally speaking if you're looking to keep it simple you'll grab a couple simple spoon lures and you'd fish it a lot like fly fisherman fish streamers (flies tied to imitate baitfish).

Here are the most important things:

1) time/temp - you'll catch way more in the most productive times I mentioned above, but you'll have some luck any time if you can figure out where the fish are in terms of depth. During non-peak hours seek out shade! As the temps heat up, fish conserve energy or move to cooler water (deeper, near springs, or in the shade) and won't spend any energy coming to your lure when resting, so you pretty much have to drift it in front of their nose.

2) structure/habitat - Can't go wrong casting ahead of and letting it drift in close to logs, boulders, overhanging vegetation, overhanging cutbanks, or essentially anywhere you would hide if you were a fish who wasn't trying to get eaten by a hawk or other predator but still wanted to feed as much as possible. When you get to the river and start paying attention, you'll start to get a feel how the currents are basically food conveyor belts by being patient for a while and just watching. You'll see rising fish keying in on specific channels or funnels where the natural current carries insects through the water.

3) presentation - You don't want to fling your lure and have it splash close to the fish, you want to lead it like a wide receiver. Cast above where you think the fish is by 10-12 feet and use the current to carry your lure into the place where you think they might laying up. When imitating a bait fish like you are with a lure, small minnows and other prey fish can get swept into currents through these likely feeding zones and recognize they're in danger and will struggle against the current to get back out into more open water where they can flee from trout. So a great technique when you've identified a spot where you know or suspect a trout is, cast above the spot, drift the lure into the spot, and then begin reeling in trying to imitate what a struggling, potentially wounded minnow would look like trying to get away. Think herky jerky, quick bursts, but not sustained, long retrieves.

4) youtube - I guarantee there are a ton of tutorials on the Platte. It's very, very famous in trout fishing circles. I'm certain there will be many quick tutorials about fishing the platte you can check out in advance.

Gear will be easy. You just need a fairly typical rod with typical line that you would use for bass and a few spinner lures. Doesn't have to be fancy and you can probably use whatever you already own. Fly fishing is all about imitating the local food sources while spin fishing is more about triggering a predator response using movement and flash. Another fun thing I always like to do is visit a local fly shop, spend a few bucks, and try to get local intel. Fly fisherman are much more guarded about giving that away. I bet you can go to pretty much any sporting goods store in the area and get some good lure recommendations. You won't need any waders, nets, or any of that crap if it's just a fun, low key trip.

Have fun! I'm v jealous.
great stuff thrill--thanks!!

yea i did go to youtube first but the problem is that it can be somewhat overwhelming. really i'm just looking to do some bank fishing and was wondering if that was possible for trout, considering thats *most likely* what will be most abundant where i will be fishing.

Good to know i dont need any sort of fancy get-up. There's a shop down the street form where i'll be and had planned on visiting, but my worry was getting roped into taking a class and i'm not really interested in that at this point. Though, i do want to get into fly fishing so i plan on taking a couple classes on that.

anyway--good advice--i'm looking forward to getting back into it. the are we will be staying is so pristine and amazing so i'm pumped.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I just got back from an epic trip to Montana. It was fantastic. I need to retire.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

What did y’all do, where’d you go, any pics?