TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by ghostrunner »

Love Death and Robots on Netflix is good. Never watched the first season but landed on it the other day and it was doable since the episodes are just short films. Played some random episodes and it its a nice change from the usual formulas. Better than most of Netflix’s other original stuff.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

There's an awkward moment at the end of this clip:
News anchors freeze after ‘inappropriate’ moment: ‘Jessica, we are live’

The internet has picked up the phrase “Jessica, we are live,” thanks to a viral faux pas between two newscasters.

Squabbles and frustrating moments between coworkers are nothing new. It just so happens that when presenters Elmarie Kapunda and Jessica Kaimu, from Namibia, had theirs, it was broadcast live. During an airing on the Namibian Broadcasting Corporation, Kapunda introduced Kaimu’s sports segment. But Kaimu was not having it.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/news-anchors ... 16628.html

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

ghostrunner wrote:
April 15 21, 8:17 pm
@thrill and whoever else was watching - Warrior is being brought back to HBOMax for a third season.
I started watching this. I've watched a few Bruce Lee movies in the last few months and always love a good good guy v bad guy righteous ass kicking. Especially when in reality Asian businesses are bing vandalized in blue Portland, and old Thai ladies are being assaulted at bus stops.

It's a good show. Hitting Trump era themes in a provocative ways. Cool fights.

I watched this doc once about Asian actors and how they were marginalized to Kung Fu guys making stereotypical noises and sex kittens in movies and tv. I'm glad there are lots of Asian industry people behind the scenes and in exec roles. But there are an awful lot of sex kittens and nameless hee-yah Kung Fu guys in this show. I just started season 2. I hope they find ways to subvert this more than they do so far.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
June 15 21, 2:38 pm
ghostrunner wrote:
April 15 21, 8:17 pm
@thrill and whoever else was watching - Warrior is being brought back to HBOMax for a third season.
I started watching this. I've watched a few Bruce Lee movies in the last few months and always love a good good guy v bad guy righteous ass kicking. Especially when in reality Asian businesses are bing vandalized in blue Portland, and old Thai ladies are being assaulted at bus stops.

It's a good show. Hitting Trump era themes in a provocative ways. Cool fights.

I watched this doc once about Asian actors and how they were marginalized to Kung Fu guys making stereotypical noises and sex kittens in movies and tv. I'm glad there are lots of Asian industry people behind the scenes and in exec roles. But there are an awful lot of sex kittens and nameless hee-yah Kung Fu guys in this show. I just started season 2. I hope they find ways to subvert this more than they do so far.
There are those, but I feel like the context is a bit different, meaning rather than in a mostly white show this one has a lot of producers and actors of Asian descent. I think the time and setting don't leave room for a lot of options, though I'd say they do get beyond that a bit in the 2nd season.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I didn't need to go full Helen Lovejoy there. You have the setting and you also have the blood and boobs genre. It's great that there's a show with Asians as principles in front of and behind the camera. But for every complex character there are five 'Prostitute 7's and 'Gang Tough with Scythe's. I'd like to see them find ways to chip away at that or call it out. A throwaway line here or there or something.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
June 16 21, 9:05 am
I didn't need to go full Helen Lovejoy there. You have the setting and you also have the blood and boobs genre. It's great that there's a show with Asians as principles in front of and behind the camera. But for every complex character there are five 'Prostitute 7's and 'Gang Tough with Scythe's. I'd like to see them find ways to chip away at that or call it out. A throwaway line here or there or something.
The nature and "tropiness" of the romance in the first season was probably the thing that bugged me the most, but that gets better in season 2.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Speaking of tropes, I'm getting a little tired of the punch where you're jumping one way and punching against the direction of your body's movement. I don't know that I explained that well. But it's in every fight scene filmed for anything these days. It does look cool, but it seems like it would be a terrible fight move, and it's getting old.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Did anyone else watch Bo Burnham's "Inside" on Netflix? I've loved him for some time, but man, it was better than I ever imagined.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 16 21, 7:45 pm
Did anyone else watch Bo Burnham's "Inside" on Netflix? I've loved him for some time, but man, it was better than I ever imagined.
Heard great things about it and planning to at some point