TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
go birds
-go birds

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by go birds »

Has anyone watch Ares on netflix?

I saw something come across my newsfeed about it--people claiming it is so scary that they couldn't finish. Might have been hyperbole, but i watched the trailer and not sure i see what the big deal is.

I'll probably still watch it because i like the genre, but the dubbing does give me pause. Not the biggest fan of that.

Also, Unsolved Mysteries on netflix has been a nice nostalgic trip down memory lane. Kinda loses its luster without Robert Stack providing nightmare fuel though.

While on Unsolved Mysteries, Hulu has the old seasons and let me tell you, the creepiness holds up but the re-enactments are hilariously dated.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

go birds wrote:
July 8 20, 10:42 am

I saw something come across my newsfeed about it--people claiming it is so scary that they couldn't finish. Might have been hyperbole, but i watched the trailer and not sure i see what the big deal is.

I'll probably still watch it because i like the genre, but the dubbing does give me pause. Not the biggest fan of that.

Also, Unsolved Mysteries on netflix has been a nice nostalgic trip down memory lane. Kinda loses its luster without Robert Stack providing nightmare fuel though.
I was very bummed there's no host. Seems like a perversion of the memory without the smokey alley host, and a cheap play at the true crime bonanza right now. There's got to be some actor with a deep voice to put in a trench coat. I remember watching that show at the neighbor's house across the street and sprinting home absolutely terrified in the dark--a few times.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
July 8 20, 10:49 am
go birds wrote:

I was very bummed there's no host. Seems like a perversion of the memory without the smokey alley host, and a cheap play at the true crime bonanza right now. There's got to be some actor with a deep voice to put in a trench coat. I remember watching that show at the neighbor's house across the street and sprinting home absolutely terrified in the dark--a few times.
The content itself is still pretty interesting though. I was completely fascinated by the Xavier DuPont episode. It sucks they are only 40-50 minute episodes as i would like to see extended versions of them, especially the DuPont one.

I looked to see if there were any other documentaries on it, but couldn't really find anything.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

I love Watchmen. I have to turn away sometimes because it is seriously [expletive] up.
I only have one episode left and I will miss needing to turn away.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

July 8 20, 10:49 am
go birds wrote:

i just finished the 1st episode of the new unsolved mysteries reboot and imagine i'll binge this the rest of the day. also noticed that the robert stack version is also free on Tubi

https://tubitv.com/series/3046/unsolved ... bert_stack

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I know it’s the name and entire point of the show, but it’s super frustrating that they’re still unsolved at the end of every episode.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
July 11 20, 5:44 pm
I know it’s the name and entire point of the show, but it’s super frustrating that they’re still unsolved at the end of every episode.
hah yep. just finished the 3rd episode (french family) and i'm like, where is he?!

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

i think the fact they are still unsolved is what makes them so creepy, otherwise it'd just be another dateline episode.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

May 29 20, 10:24 am
Upload is good not great, IMO, but very watchable. The lead played guitar for Prince, and figuratively played guitar for Prince in bed, possibly--which adds tons of intrigue, for me at least. The concept is great. But it's not quite as sharp as I wanted. Greg Daniels' best shows were headed by Amy Poehler and Steve Carrell. Maybe this show would have been better with that kind of talent and with more of an ensemble feel--and a tighter story. But it's worth a watch. If they tighten the screws, Season 2 could be excellent. The Office and Parks and Rec both took off in Season 2.
I'm currently watching Upload and I pretty much agree. It's a good show, but isn't great. It's like a poor mans The Good Place. It sounds like I'm down on the show, but I'm not. I really like it.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

docellis wrote:
July 9 20, 8:47 pm
I love Watchmen. I have to turn away sometimes because it is seriously [expletive] up.
I only have one episode left and I will miss needing to turn away.
We get a docellis driveby and nobody even takes note? GRBe slippin'.

Watchmen was just about a perfect show even before current events made it all too relevant. It's enigmatic, compelling, timely, and reveals its mysteries in a perfectly paced, satisfying way.
[SHOW]
Also, when Senator Keene explodes into a blood puddle after giving his big white supremacy speech, it was pretty [expletive] rad.