TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Jocephus »

Check out the trailer for HBO Original, Chernobyl: The Lost Tapes, which takes a deep-dive behind the 1986 disaster of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. Watch never before seen footage and get real-life accounts of the horrific accident. Coming to HBO Max June 22.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

I can't tell if I'm just getting old and impatient (for what?) but I'm really kind missing the good 45 minute episodes of [expletive].

I watched the first part of stranger things and it was fine. I like that they are taking a half step out of what they did in two and three; and I think the kid actors are incredible. I think the Duffer Brothers are C level visual and pacing story tellers who got struck by lightening? But they seem to have at least heard some of the criticisms of the last two seasons?

I want to see where it but I'm glad there's not another season.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

vinsanity wrote:
June 5 22, 6:05 pm
I can't tell if I'm just getting old and impatient (for what?) but I'm really kind missing the good 45 minute episodes of [expletive].

I watched the first part of stranger things and it was fine. I like that they are taking a half step out of what they did in two and three; and I think the kid actors are incredible. I think the Duffer Brothers are C level visual and pacing story tellers who got struck by lightening? But they seem to have at least heard some of the criticisms of the last two seasons?

You mean after Season 5?

I've watched as much as I can, and I enjoyed this season to this point. Not quite as much as I did when it was this cultural phenomenon, but still a lot. The bloated episode times can be tough to bear, and they aren't getting better from what I've heard, with the final episode of the season clocking in at more than two hours. From what I've read about Season 5, there won't be as much ramping up, and it will be more straight to the action.

I think the biggest problem with Stranger Things, and more of a problem with prestige TV, is the long waits between seasons. COVID happened, not their fault, but even before that, it's hard to wait a year and a half between seasons.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 6 22, 6:55 am
vinsanity wrote:

You mean after Season 5?

I've watched as much as I can, and I enjoyed this season to this point. Not quite as much as I did when it was this cultural phenomenon, but still a lot. The bloated episode times can be tough to bear, and they aren't getting better from what I've heard, with the final episode of the season clocking in at more than two hours. From what I've read about Season 5, there won't be as much ramping up, and it will be more straight to the action.

I think the biggest problem with Stranger Things, and more of a problem with prestige TV, is the long waits between seasons. COVID happened, not their fault, but even before that, it's hard to wait a year and a half between seasons.
I thought what you're referring to as season five was being called season 4 "part two"?

As for the delays there's been some good think pieces on how "binging" is bad for TV. Something like Barry or Better Call Saul seem to be benefitting from the weekly episodes. Having time to digest episodes, fewer nonsense cliffhangers and the ability to spend a week ruminating on an episode and discussing it makes it stick around longer.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I thought Season 2 of ST was better than Season 1, up until the end. Liking this one better than 3 so far. The Hopper plot is a bit too goofy for my taste though.

The long episodes are tricky. It's almost movie length, and the reason I often watch shows instead of movies is runtime. So in this case it's a show all but my youngest has watched or is interested in, so we have to wait for him to go to bed. Family movie nights have typically been on weekend because people need to shower, get to bed... We're just going to have to break up those two longer ones when they come out.

Definitely think Netflix should go to the weekly releases. It's their thing, but their shows have ended up at a disadvantage. Their whole production side seems like a mess.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

vinsanity wrote:
June 6 22, 8:14 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 6 22, 6:55 am
vinsanity wrote:

You mean after Season 5?

I thought what you're referring to as season five was being called season 4 "part two"?

As for the delays there's been some good think pieces on how "binging" is bad for TV. Something like Barry or Better Call Saul seem to be benefitting from the weekly episodes. Having time to digest episodes, fewer nonsense cliffhangers and the ability to spend a week ruminating on an episode and discussing it makes it stick around longer.
I think Season 4 Part 2 is the last two releases to come in July, with a Season 5 release sometime likely late next year.

https://news.yahoo.com/stranger-things- ... cH4mQFfcbU

I guess I go back and forth on the binging aspect. It probably wouldn't hurt to do weekly releases. Still, I think BCS did suffer quite a bit from the long layoff. Certainly, many circumstances out of anyone's control, but I don't think our brains are meant to have that long of a layoff.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I remember Sopranos had some really long waits. Seems like there was another HBO show that had them too. Curb of course, but I think that's less of a big deal. Thought there was another more serialized/cliffhanger kind of a show.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 6 22, 8:38 am
vinsanity wrote:
June 6 22, 8:14 am
I think Season 4 Part 2 is the last two releases to come in July, with a Season 5 release sometime likely late next year.

https://news.yahoo.com/stranger-things- ... cH4mQFfcbU

I guess I go back and forth on the binging aspect. It probably wouldn't hurt to do weekly releases. Still, I think BCS did suffer quite a bit from the long layoff. Certainly, many circumstances out of anyone's control, but I don't think our brains are meant to have that long of a layoff.
Oh damn, didn't know that. I thought the final parts of this season were the end. Guh.

I do agree the long COVID layoffs don't work well for entertainment. It's worse when it's not just COVID. But I never have to watch re-caps of shows I watch weekly (like Barry) but always do for shows I binge, like Stranger Things.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

its been about a year since i cancelled my netflix. i remember at the time thinking "well, i'll probably re-up when stranger things is back" and i couldn't have been more wrong. in hindsight, 1st season was good and they've gotten "worse" each season. then you see how they are dragging this out to keep those monthly payments going (not even talking about weekly vs dumping them all out, i mean splitting the season up, dragging it out etc). plus netflix just getting worse in general.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

glad to see my losing interest in ST is being validated.