TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by mikechamp »

Is anyone watching the "Criminal Minds" reboot? I watched a trailer today, and it appears to have a lot of the same cast, even if they are looking a bit older.

I don't subscribe to Paramount +, nor do I have any plans to. I'm just curious if it's as good as/better/worse than it was when it departed from CBS.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

mikechamp wrote:
December 20 22, 1:00 am
Is anyone watching the "Criminal Minds" reboot? I watched a trailer today, and it appears to have a lot of the same cast, even if they are looking a bit older.

I don't subscribe to Paramount +, nor do I have any plans to. I'm just curious if it's as good as/better/worse than it was when it departed from CBS.
I don’t watch Criminal Minds, but I do watch Blaze and the Monster Machines, if not by choice. Just wait for the whole season to be out and a free ( or 99 cent) trial. They come along often enough. Somehow on one tv Paramount Plus is still working several months after I cancelled. I’ve checked everywhere I may still be being charged.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Oh my. The Bobs Burgers Christmas episode was the best half hour episode of tv I’ve seen in a long time. Wonderful.

‘The Plight Before Christmas.’

They’re in their 13th season. And to be honest, I still like it, but I really only half watch the show with my kid these days. I just don't expect to be surprised or impressed anymore. They did something great here.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Abbott Elementary is good. But it sort of jumped straight to the later seasons of Parks and The Office when the documentary premise was incredibly flimsy. Throws me off a little.

Reminds me of this episode of Modern Family, which I thought did a little but not much better than the others at being a documentary, when Mitch is mad at Cam for having their daughter in a commercial… so it’s a reality show about a dad who doesn’t want his reality tv daughter on tv?

Some one needs to make one of these where the ‘filmmakers’ and the construction of the show are part of it all. Maybe it would just be too hard to keep people invested unless it was really silly. I don’t know.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
January 9 22, 9:27 am
Just watched a bunch of Yellowstone. Season 1-2 were good. 3 was okay. 4 was stupid.
5 is idiotic. Really following the overall trajectory of game of thrones here and just getting worse and worse. Hopefully they pull the plug before everyone rides to the train station and drinks the koolaid.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Sheridan shows love to ratchet up the absurdity every season, so none of them are good after season 2/3. He's very much a product of the Kurt Sutter coaching tree that way. Good thing he's running like 17 shows right now.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
January 11 23, 10:52 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
January 9 22, 9:27 am
Just watched a bunch of Yellowstone. Season 1-2 were good. 3 was okay. 4 was stupid.
5 is idiotic. Really following the overall trajectory of game of thrones here and just getting worse and worse. Hopefully they pull the plug before everyone rides to the train station and drinks the koolaid.
ha...watching yellowstone this season reminded me of that popular GOT meme

It started out as must see tv, but this season, i just dvr'd and didnt even make a point in watching. I binged like 3 episodes at one point.

a couple things that really irk me about this show:

1) virtually every female character in the show is so cringeworthy, beth being the worst. the whole girlboss thing they are doing with her is way too on the nose and her one-liners are so insanely bad that i've considered completely giving up on the show. any scene she is in is a guaranteed trainwreck
2) take what i said about beth above and apply it to almost every character in the show at this point. the one exception perhaps being Kayce and that's really only because one has like 1 or 2 scenes a show

also, PSA to shows: quit with the mid-season finales. What is the point behind this? It's so dumb. Stop doing this.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

@go birds

I don't even mind beth or the characters so much. What's really bad is, well, the entire story.

So the AG can just make a speech about something that was done in plain sight, that the governor included largely in his platform to get elected, and all of a sudden he's about to get impeached? If it was so egregious, why did it take seemingly months, let alone a speech from the AG, to get this ball rolling? Stupid.

Jamie is such a weird character. Supposed to be this brilliant legal mind, but played like a 2 bit fiddle by some rando. Also, what happened to his kid and gf? Wasn't she going to stay with him if he got away from John? Eh, whatever.

The storyline of the ranch itself is just so stupid as well. The ranch is so big that they can't afford taxes on it? And, that's a new problem? How would they have acquired all this land if they weren't profitable enough to 1) purchase the property and 2) in turn make a profit on it? Now there is a disease and they're worried about their cattle getting it/having it, so the answer is to send them thousands of miles to the south to...get rid of said disease? Uh huh.

The entire storyline of summer being released from jail but having to stay with Costner is so stupid.

At least half of any show anymore is wasted portraying some grandiose vision of 'cowboying'. Oh look how cool this is, we're slamming the brakes on a horse and his back feet are sliding.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Prefacing this by agreeing that Yellowstone is an incredibly dumb show written by dumb people for dumb people. That doesn't mean I judge those who like it, because I like other dumb things that are more catered to my interests. That said,
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
January 16 23, 2:33 pm
The ranch is so big that they can't afford taxes on it? And, that's a new problem? How would they have acquired all this land if they weren't profitable enough to 1) purchase the property and 2) in turn make a profit on it?
A common trick by municipalities/govt is to raise property taxes on areas ripe for development, so that the expense/burden becomes great enough that the land owner is essentially forced to sell. This is very common with legacy family-owned ranches, farms, etc. Basically any business that requires a ton of land but doesn't have high enough profit margins to pay the rising tax on the land. That is actually one of the only realistic conflicts at play in Yellowstone. Families buy the land decades/generations before it's of any development value. Growth and development reaches their borders, which causes the land value and associated tax burden to sky rocket.

Even in these scenarios, the land-owning families become absurdly wealthy when they do sell, but for the families that don't want to sell/want to keep their farm or ranch going for the next generations/preserve their "way of life" the money isn't as attractive. They end up taking it because it's either that or default on their tax bill.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

In Texas you can get an agriculture exemption on your land as long as you have like 10 acres and a goat, and with it you pay like 1/10th the property taxes everyone else is paying. Great place to inherit a huge ass ranch. I should look into that.