TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by tlombard »

Did anybody watch The Riches when it was on years ago? I just discovered it on Hulu over the weekend and watched the first season along with the first couple of episodes of the second season. I got hooked quickly and need to find time to watch the rest but baseball occupies my evenings during the week. Maybe I can finish Thursday night.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Succession is shockingly un-trashy for something so superficially soap-opera trashy. I kinda love it, and find that if you read it as very dark humor it's even more enjoyable. I found it easy to ignore on first viewing of Season 1 Ep 1-2, but then went back and binged it because people said to try it again and am glad I did.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

tlombard wrote:Did anybody watch The Riches when it was on years ago? I just discovered it on Hulu over the weekend and watched the first season along with the first couple of episodes of the second season. I got hooked quickly and need to find time to watch the rest but baseball occupies my evenings during the week. Maybe I can finish Thursday night.
Yes, The Riches was excellent. Be warned though, the series got the plug pulled mid season, so you don’t get anything approaching closure of the story.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
tlombard wrote:Did anybody watch The Riches when it was on years ago? I just discovered it on Hulu over the weekend and watched the first season along with the first couple of episodes of the second season. I got hooked quickly and need to find time to watch the rest but baseball occupies my evenings during the week. Maybe I can finish Thursday night.
Yes, The Riches was excellent. Be warned though, the series got the plug pulled mid season, so you don’t get anything approaching closure of the story.
#@$%@#$%@#$% Dang it. That is really disappointing. I knew it didn't make it past the second season but I figured they at least finished it out. Ugh.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Now having seen the second season, Mindhunter strikes me as The Wire, but with the FBI and serial killers. Lots of plot threads that dead end or don't necessarily end up playing into the larger story, a peek into the cops' personal lives even if it isn't ever a major arc, and an effort to portray the cops and killers as real people with good and bad sides. I kind of hate how much the show makes me like Kemper.

I didn't realize until about halfway through the season that they'd dropped Holden's personal life altogether in favor of Bill's (interesting but a little belabored) and Wendy (mostly well-covered ground for cop shows, but I still found it engaging and liked how it handled her sexuality). I like the BTK vignettes.

Once an episode or more, Holden will look at Bill like something mind-blowing has just happened or been spoken by the killers they're interviewing, and then it just... passes. It started to annoy me at some point last season, but I've come to understand it's just a character quirk.

And I don't understand why Anna Torv isn't in more things.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

ghostrunner wrote: I don't understand why Anna Torv isn't in more things.
Yeah, she's something. Great at portraying the duality of a fragile strength.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I really like Broadchurch, but my god there are too many storylines.

angine
Single A Minor League Player

Post by angine »

Started I am the Night with Chris Pine, true crime story based on the Black Dahlia, very enjoyable so far only 2 episodes in, but liking it so far

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

The 36 different things that I pay $9.99/mo for were getting stale so I signed up for a 37th, hulu, so I could stream PEN15 and Shrill then hopefully remember to cxl before my free trial ends.

I'm halfway through PEN15 and it. is. AMAZING. So delightfully absurd, and I think the visual of the two of them being obviously 30 years old and standing a half a foot taller than the actual children playing the rest of the parts, and also being intimidated by little kids, will never get old or be un-funny.