TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Jocephus »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
March 25 21, 1:53 pm
Jessica Walter (Lucille Bluth) died. Dammit.
bummer. she was so damn good.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

Michael wrote:
March 25 21, 12:48 pm
redbirdjazzz wrote:
March 25 21, 12:38 pm
Michael wrote:
March 25 21, 12:35 pm
thrill wrote:
March 25 21, 12:05 pm
Yeah that is certainly a take, Michael.

Remember that episode where Martok and Worf get captured by the gem hadar and Worf fights his way through them like it's an all you can beat buffet?
Remember how TNG totally beta'd Worf? He got beat up in just about every fight he was in. DS9 did him much better.

DS9 is by no means perfect and I love TNG, but DS9 is the best all trek around show. The DS9 cast is tops by far.
There's a TV Trope for that: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... WorfEffect
Hah! Thank you!

TNG is better pure sci-fi, but DS9 is the better show. For example, Nog's character arch is way beyond anything TNG ever did with a minor character. Hell most of the main cast in TNG didn't have an arch as good as Nog's.
They fill different needs for me. DS9 definitely has a better through-line and characters with more compelling arcs (Nog, but maybe even more so Rom, high up on that list), but TNG is king for nostalgia (both for itself and for TOS), and for the ease and reliability as drop-in/drop-out entertainment. I'm much more likely to to reach for TNG when I feel an urge for some Star Trek, and I'm much more likely to binge DS9. Not that I haven't binged TNG or watched an isolated episode of DS9, from time to time.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

Jocephus wrote:
March 25 21, 1:58 pm
I just saw that. I don't see how Archer can continue now. So good in everything.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

redbirdjazzz wrote:
March 25 21, 2:06 pm
Jocephus wrote:
March 25 21, 1:58 pm
I just saw that. I don't see how Archer can continue now. So good in everything.
"Mother!!" - Archer

Yeah, that definitely throws the next season of Archer into chaos. I wonder if they will kill her character off. It would seem to fit, given the theme/setting of the show.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

redbirdjazzz wrote:
March 25 21, 2:05 pm
Michael wrote:
March 25 21, 12:48 pm
redbirdjazzz wrote:
March 25 21, 12:38 pm
Michael wrote:
March 25 21, 12:35 pm
thrill wrote:
March 25 21, 12:05 pm
Yeah that is certainly a take, Michael.

Remember that episode where Martok and Worf get captured by the gem hadar and Worf fights his way through them like it's an all you can beat buffet?
Remember how TNG totally beta'd Worf? He got beat up in just about every fight he was in. DS9 did him much better.

DS9 is by no means perfect and I love TNG, but DS9 is the best all trek around show. The DS9 cast is tops by far.
There's a TV Trope for that: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... WorfEffect
Hah! Thank you!

TNG is better pure sci-fi, but DS9 is the better show. For example, Nog's character arch is way beyond anything TNG ever did with a minor character. Hell most of the main cast in TNG didn't have an arch as good as Nog's.
They fill different needs for me. DS9 definitely has a better through-line and characters with more compelling arcs (Nog, but maybe even more so Rom, high up on that list), but TNG is king for nostalgia (both for itself and for TOS), and for the ease and reliability as drop-in/drop-out entertainment. I'm much more likely to to reach for TNG when I feel an urge for some Star Trek, and I'm much more likely to binge DS9. Not that I haven't binged TNG or watched an isolated episode of DS9, from time to time.
I like the cut of your jib

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Michael wrote:
March 25 21, 11:55 am
Deep Space 9 is the best star trek series. I hope you are loving it.
This is a common opinion, at least in media I consume. Twitter, different podcasts.

I’ve been thinking about watching it, but it’s so many episodes. On the plus side I can watch it around both kids.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

ghostrunner wrote:
March 25 21, 5:28 pm
Michael wrote:
This is a common opinion, at least in media I consume. Twitter, different podcasts.

I’ve been thinking about watching it, but it’s so many episodes. On the plus side I can watch it around both kids.
It's definitely a worthwhile watch. TNG remains my favorite but there is appeal of each series.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

TNG is not only my favourite Star Trek, but close to being my favourite TV show ever. DS9 is fine, but after watching it when it was initially broadcast, I don't have any desire to watch it again.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

DS9 as the best trek is a very online hipster opinion, which means in order to maintain supremacy in this hipster hot take arms race, I have no choice but to declare that Voyager is actually the best trek. I look forward to this conversation in 5 years when Enterprise will be the best trek.

JK.

1) TNG
2) Original Cast Movies
3) DS9
4) Voyager
5) TNG Cast Movies
6) Picard
7) Original Series
8) Discovery

I have not watched Enterprise

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

That's a very reasonable list. Of what I've watched:

1) DS9
2) TNG
3) TOS
4) Picard
5) Voyager (I've watched like 20 episodes)

I'm not sure where the movies fit in all of this. I haven't watched one in about 15 years. I'm kind of surprised original cast movies so well on your list considering TOS is #7 on your list.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN

edit -
ghostrunner wrote:
March 25 21, 5:28 pm
Michael wrote:

The first season is just "ok". After that it gets really good.