TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by ghostrunner »

All of the Marvel Netflix shows have 13 episodes per season and nearly every season* has runs of maybe 3 episodes that are good to great, and then there will be a lull of 3 to 6 episodes where not much interesting happens, then it picks up again and may or may not fall off again after. But there's at least one lull.

The Punisher season 1 and Daredevil Season 3 are the only ones that managed to stay compelling the whole way through. I'm on Punisher Season 2 and after 3 episodes it just hit the lull. There was an actual shopping montage. An online shopping montage. That could be ok and a funny diversion for a show like this, but... they did not pull it off.

*I haven't seen Luke Cage Season 2 or any of Iron Fist, due to both word of mouth and lack of interest.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Daredevil season 3 actually felt like it should have at least one more episode. The ending felt rushed, and it ended up so silly that it almost ruined a fantastic season.

I felt Luke Cage season 2 was fairly good overall. You'll need to power through the first couple of episodes, as they are pretty rough. The whole Shades/Mariah couple thing feels forced the entire time, but other than that it is pretty solid.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Jessica Jones Season 3 is the last of these apparently. Netflix has canceled all of them, likely due to Disney wanting the rights back. Doesn't sound like they'll come back on Disney in their current form, but it's up in the air.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

for those interested in conans new format

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I'm willing to start a gofundme to get Jocephus through the Conan shutdown.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Episode 3 of Season 3 of True Detective has me worried it's about to become a muddled, cliched mess again.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

heyzeus wrote:Episode 3 of Season 3 of True Detective has me worried it's about to become a muddled, cliched mess again.
I haven't watched this yet because I've decided that the best way into a show like this is via binge-ing it. I feel like if I start at the beginning, I'll watch ep 1, then come back for ep2, then when ep 3 is kinda bad I still come back the next week for ep 4, and ep 5, and then when it's really bad by ep 6 I'm still watching because now I'm invested and before you know it I've wasted 12 hours on Westworld. If I let it go a few weeks then binge-watch the from the top, if by the middle of ep 3 or 4 it's no good, I'm out. I can break up with a one-night stand of a TV show easier than I can a show I've been dating for a month and a half. And I've given away too much time to bad TV that I couldn't break up with.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

33anda3rd wrote:
heyzeus wrote:Episode 3 of Season 3 of True Detective has me worried it's about to become a muddled, cliched mess again.
I haven't watched this yet because I've decided that the best way into a show like this is via binge-ing it. I feel like if I start at the beginning, I'll watch ep 1, then come back for ep2, then when ep 3 is kinda bad I still come back the next week for ep 4, and ep 5, and then when it's really bad by ep 6 I'm still watching because now I'm invested and before you know it I've wasted 12 hours on Westworld. If I let it go a few weeks then binge-watch the from the top, if by the middle of ep 3 or 4 it's no good, I'm out. I can break up with a one-night stand of a TV show easier than I can a show I've been dating for a month and a half. And I've given away too much time to bad TV that I couldn't break up with.
This is a good strategy. Season 3 does a lot of withholding. It deals with a protagonist with memory issues, so each episode alludes to secrets that the show intentionally withholds. For now. It's only once the season is over that we will know whether all the withholding and unreliable narrator stuff proved to be meaningful.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I am not concerned about where they're going at all, but that is definitely the best way to watch True D. The only reason I don't is so I can watch The Ringer's after show every week. It's definitely better as a binge tho.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »