TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by vinsanity »

ghostrunner wrote:
May 17 22, 10:58 am
Episodes feel really quick for being an hour long too. Every time I'm shocked it's over. The one worry I have is how it ends, and I'm almost worried they've explained too much because I'm not sure how you maintain that and not end up with a big mess. It's not quite like David Lynch or something, where he clearly doesn't care how much sense it makes.

I've heard the season finale is good though.
Am I the only one who thinks Adam Scott's makeup looks horrendous in that show? I wasn't all that impressed but I binged it and wasn't sotally tober.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

vinsanity wrote:
May 17 22, 11:56 am
ghostrunner wrote:
May 17 22, 10:58 am
Episodes feel really quick for being an hour long too. Every time I'm shocked it's over. The one worry I have is how it ends, and I'm almost worried they've explained too much because I'm not sure how you maintain that and not end up with a big mess. It's not quite like David Lynch or something, where he clearly doesn't care how much sense it makes.

I've heard the season finale is good though.
Am I the only one who thinks Adam Scott's makeup looks horrendous in that show? I wasn't all that impressed but I binged it and wasn't sotally tober.
I think it's intentional. I mean, he's aged, and the lighting is also very office-like, but it seems like they're drawing a contrast btw his in-office/out of office self. Lighting is also more flattering out of the office. He's usually clean-shaven when he goes in and has a bit of stubble on the outside. More sardonic/less nerdy.

Was going to spoiler the above, but this is more or less the official synopsis.
A sinister technology corporation, Lumon Industries, uses a "severance" medical procedure to separate the non-work memories of some of their employees from their work memories.
I knew nothing about it going in, just that it was highly recommended. You can start poking holes in it pretty easily but I'm enjoying how the characters deal with the reality as they understand it.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Oh [expletive]. I wrote something like this in a short story during a depressing stretch of unemployment. A startup would give you superhuman focus via implant with the guarantee of employment at the cost of certain aspects of your personality. The story wasn't very good. There was a lot of truth in it, with the soul crushing business of resumes/applications/interviews.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

A couple more episodes in. Haven't been this bowled over by a show in a long time. Never seen anything quite like it. It's a little Black Mirror-like but those episodes are only an hour or so and they're done. Normally I'd say that's better for this sort of thing, but the premise here is full of weird little corners of darkness and humor they're still exposing. There's a character who's new to this company/world and that just gets more and more interesting, while also being a bit bleak and depressing. John Turturro and Christopher Walken have a fun side story going on and they're both just great as they always are.

They're starting to get into the way the outties (the people when they're outside the building) regard the existence of their innies (when they're inside) and that part is increasingly chilling and interesting. You start thinking about how life is for each half, and what it would entail. As implausible as it is, it's also fascinating and I can't stop thinking about it.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

The Halo show on P+ is kinda bad, but I enjoy it anyway.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

One more P+ find - a few weeks ago I popped an edible and watched old episodes of Strangers with Candy. It's a hilarious parody of after school specials. The show stars Amy Sedaris as a junkie prostitute runaway returning to high school as a 46 year old freshman. It's even weirder then it sounds. It also stars a young Stephen Colbert. The writing is surprisingly sharp and holds up really well. A lot of people who wrote for the show went on to do bigger and better things. I know a lot of people from the Daily Show started their writing career on SWC.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Michael wrote:
May 19 22, 12:53 pm
The Halo show on P+ is kinda bad, but I enjoy it anyway.
I keep looking at that and thinking eeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh maaaaaaybeeeeeee oh not today.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jocephus wrote:
May 20 22, 4:18 pm
Haven't watched SNL much since Hartman died.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Jocephus wrote:
May 2 22, 12:34 pm
I watched Part 1 this weekend, and it's excellent. I think it's fair to say Carlin was a huge influence on me.