TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Succession is delicious and torturous in equal measure. I truthfully couldn't handle it in 2020, being a snowflake and all. But I'm glad I fired it back up. It gets a little absurd in a couple spots in a way that doesn't seem to work. But it's a really good show that I love and hate.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
May 5 21, 2:49 pm
Succession is delicious and torturous in equal measure. I truthfully couldn't handle it in 2020, being a snowflake and all. But I'm glad I fired it back up. It gets a little absurd in a couple spots in a way that doesn't seem to work. But it's a really good show that I love and hate.
Precisely. I think it's a show that asks its viewers: "Is this a comedy?" It is without a doubt a satire of a certain industry and class, if not just the Murdochs specifically. But in its short run so far, it's given us so many indelible moments: Jeremy Strong rapping, Cameron from Feris Buehler's vanity run for president as an outsider pseudo-intellectual libertarian, and specifically the line "in order to make a tomlette, you have to break some gregs."

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

First run through I enjoyed it but really wanted them all to die. Second run I settled in and enjoyed it a lot more. It's a thrilling, invigorating bummer. Greg is the one decent person, but the show seems to suggest decency only happens when there's no outlet for ambition. Deadwood is optimistic by comparison.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

It is very cynical. But somehow the tone of it allows me to engage in a way where I hate it but it doesn't piss me off.

Rewatching Ted Lasso has been a good antidote.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I got a little tired of The Boys so I started watching AP Bio on Peacock. I really like it. Its another B+ show for me.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

By the way, I also tried the new Michael Schur (Parks & Recs/The Good Place) show, Rutherford Falls. I was pretty excited because the reviews are excellent and I consider Parks & Recs and The Good Place place to be top ten shows. Unfortunately I think the show is pretty terrible. Ed Helms has no business being a leading man and most of the jokes don't work. I couldn't even make it past the first episode.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I can't do Ed Helms.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Michael wrote:
May 12 21, 6:55 am
I got a little tired of The Boys so I started watching AP Bio on Peacock. I really like it. Its another B+ show for me.
Season 2 is amazing.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I just finished season 1 of "Resident Alien". I think they spread too little plot over the ten episodes, while having characters who the showrunner claims are central to the plot (Sam the doctor's wife; Linda Hamilton) almost never onscreen. It was okay, and the central core of characters were excellent, but I think they need to do some fairly serious retooling for season 2.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

thrill wrote:
May 12 21, 10:42 am
I can't do Ed Helms.
That's what she said!