TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by ghostrunner »

thrill wrote:
March 17 21, 2:29 pm
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/justif ... 234905405/

Justified back?!
Oh [expletive]. I'm more excited by this than is probably rational.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I just started Raised By Wolves and I don't think I've ever seen this kind of deep deep sci-fi on tv before. Usually with futuristic shows there's an attempt to ground it in our current world so you can either game out how things might have gone or see obvious remnants of our current society, like The Expanse. This does none of that. Things have just progressed beyond recognition. No mention of countries, just references and flashbacks to a presumably worldwide atheist/religious cult conflict that forces people to flee Earth.

Reminds me a lot of old Asimov and 50s era sci fi stories and visually reminiscent of the cover art for those kinds of books. Ridley Scott directed the first two episodes which are the ones I've seen, so I'm curious to see if there's a dropoff in quality going forward.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

My wife and I were talking last night and we both realized we hardly watch netflix anymore. Is it me, or has the prestige tv taken a back seat? When I look at their top 10 list it's a bunch of poorly reviewed movies and stuff made for teenagers. Personally, I'm finding myself watching more stuff on Hulu and Amazon. I also got a year sub from Peacock for super cheap (it mostly sucks, but whatever).

I was one of the first waves of people to sign up to their streaming service back in the day, but today I decided to cancel. I likely be back in 6-12 mos if they build up some good content. I suspect HBO Max is more of what I'm looking for.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote:
March 24 21, 11:17 am
I likely be back in 6-12 mos if they build up some good content.
Honestly I think this is just the move for all services now, which is why Amazon's remains the most essential. You get other stuff that would prevent you from cancelling when you run out of stuff to watch and they bill yearly.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I do wish Netflix would focus a bit more on quality than quantity. It has been a long time since they have come out with a new show where the first season has been fantastic. Other than the limited runs like Queen's Gambit.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Michael wrote:
My wife and I were talking last night and we both realized we hardly watch netflix anymore. Is it me, or has the prestige tv taken a back seat? When I look at their top 10 list it's a bunch of poorly reviewed movies and stuff made for teenagers. Personally, I'm finding myself watching more stuff on Hulu and Amazon. I also got a year sub from Peacock for super cheap (it mostly sucks, but whatever).

I was one of the first waves of people to sign up to their streaming service back in the day, but today I decided to cancel. I likely be back in 6-12 mos if they build up some good content. I'm suspect HBO Max is more of what I'm looking for.
I cancelled Netflix for the same reason about 4 months ago. You'll soon start getting emails begging you to come back and offering you a discounted monthly rate if you do.

As I've posted elsewhere, my move now is to pay for 1 streaming service at a time and watch that until I get bored, cancel it, and sign up for another one, watch the [expletive] out of their library until cancelling it, and so on.

Paying for a half-dozen streaming services at a time is a waste. Just one has more content that you could watch in 10 lifetimes. If I have too many options I find myself aimlessly scrolling through each, unable to get excited about any of their shows. It's like going to a restaurant with a 20 page menu. It's overwhelming and I can't make up my mind.

G. Keenan

Post by G. Keenan »

thrill wrote:
March 24 21, 11:55 am
Michael wrote:
I likely be back in 6-12 mos if they build up some good content.
Honestly I think this is just the move for all services now, which is why Amazon's remains the most essential. You get other stuff that would prevent you from cancelling when you run out of stuff to watch and they bill yearly.
I cancelled Amazon's ass too. Granted, I'm only 4 days in to my "no prime" experiment, but so far, still alive.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Popeye_Card wrote:
March 24 21, 1:30 pm
I do wish Netflix would focus a bit more on quality than quantity. It has been a long time since they have come out with a new show where the first season has been fantastic. Other than the limited runs like Queen's Gambit.
Did you watch Bojack Horseman, and if not, could you do so now please?

G. Keenan

Post by G. Keenan »

heyzeus wrote:
March 24 21, 9:00 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
I tried, but just couldn't get that into it. I think I made it maybe halfway through the first season, maybe a bit further. Does it get better?

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

heyzeus wrote:
March 24 21, 9:00 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
I sure did. And you are sorta making my point - they haven’t come out with a show like that in a while.