TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by heyzeus »

Anyone else finish out Ozark and wanna talk about it?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

heyzeus wrote:
May 23 22, 8:57 am
I did.

Ending sucked big time.
[SHOW]
Zero justice for Ruth. Bad guys win. Not a fan. The originality aspect of the ending seemed more tryhard than creative. The show was already Dime Store Breaking Bad and we knew people were getting killed off. I just didn't feel satisfied with any of them. They created this mess though with so many auxiliary characters.
I do love talking to all my friends not from the Ozarks about how wrong and stupid a lot of the show is. Not to mention that it's CLEARLY Georgia and not Missouri. Don't get me started on that paddleboat nonsense.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
May 23 22, 10:41 am
heyzeus wrote:
May 23 22, 8:57 am
I did.

Ending sucked big time.
[SHOW]
Zero justice for Ruth. Bad guys win. Not a fan. The originality aspect of the ending seemed more tryhard than creative. The show was already Dime Store Breaking Bad and we knew people were getting killed off. I just didn't feel satisfied with any of them. They created this mess with some many auxiliary characters.
[SHOW]
I agree. The last season was just a convoluted mess of back-and-forth. "The bad guys win" is not wrong, but also not a particularly salient point for a show to make. We know. At least with like The Wire and Breaking Bad, we see and learn the institutions that ensure that's the case. Ozark was a family drama at its core, but the actions and motivations of its family made no real sense. The Byrde kids were set to leave their parents, and in the very next episode, were willing to kill the PI to protect them? And yeah, they couldn't figure out any other way to end the Ruth story. Not a great show, by any stretch.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

I will play devil's avocado to a degree
[SHOW]
I agree that the last season got a bit messy, and in particular I think they were fast and loose with how strong a given antagonist was in a given moment for the sake of plot convenience. I also didn't love exactly how Ruth's arc ended, I think they didn't do enough to illustrate that she was done fighting for her acceptance of her fate to feel earned. The Byrde's however feels like an appropriate end to their trajectory. Yes, 'bad guys win' isn't super profound, but 'bad guys run out of rope' isn't exactly earth shattering either. We also didn't end with the Byrde's in control of their fate moving forward, just with the latest crisis successfully whack-a-moled. The turnaround with the kids was a little fast, but they also had a pretty harsh realization through grandpa that their parents weren't unique in how self-serving they are, but at least the parents truly cared about their well being. That's probably not enough to make Jonah putting a shotgun blast through the PI to be the most logical thing to do right away though.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Ozark
[SHOW]
i hated that Ruth died, but i actually appreciated the fact that they killed her off. Most shows would have had her getting out of her situation and moving onto greener pastures so it was refreshing was that standpoint. Nothing much else to like about the last season though. It seemed rushed and messy. I really wanted to see wendy get her comeuppance. Horrible character.

Also, please stop with the whole "leave it up to the audience to decide what happens". hate that [expletive].

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
May 23 22, 10:41 am
[SHOW]
Zero justice for Ruth. Bad guys win. Not a fan. The originality aspect of the ending seemed more tryhard than creative. The show was already Dime Store Breaking Bad and we knew people were getting killed off. I just didn't feel satisfied with any of them. They created this mess though with so many auxiliary characters.
[SHOW]
Pretty sure Ruth got perfect justice since she was a cold blooded killer. The Byrde's didn't convince her to steal cartel money; they didn't electrocute her uncles; the Byrde's didn't convince her or Wyatt to get in bed with Darlene; the Byrde's didn't convince her to shoot Javi. Julia Garner was great in the role, the character was a great source of entertainment and intrigue but let's not pretend like she's an innocent victim here.

Overall, I thought the ending was fine the BB rip-off shot of Ruth's death and the Sopranos rip off with the cut to black were groan inducing for me. I think the final season could have been a little more streamlined to get where it was going to be more consistent but it felt like a reasonable conclusion to the story, for me.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Better Call Saul.

Insane.

What I think will happen if anyone gives a [expletive] and FWIW:

SPOILER WARNING
[SHOW]
Double spoiled in case you messed up.
[SHOW]
Howard ending didn't surprise me. This made sense. The sneak preview last week gave clues that the PI was in on it too, given the need for the college kids and pictures. There was no more need for Howard in this story.

-Lalo is playing the long game with Gus. Wants to make it really hurt. Gus is always playing 12-D chess. Mike said they won't leave the posts and he pulled all men from low level jobs. This also means they don't catch Lalo at Saul/Kim's. Kim knew about Lalo, Jimmy didn't, thus why Kim is handling it better. But this is the beginning of the end of Saul and Kim. I don't know what the taxi driver and Gene have to do with each other but it seems clear Kim is going to pop up in this life. Nebraska connection.

- License plates from flashback scenes showed Nebraska. We know Gene world is in Nebraska. Seems clear this is where Kim and Saul meet later in the final episodes. I've been surprised but Gilligan is usually only surprising end off auxiliary characters and not main ones. He usually telegraphs how main characters will go out.

-Lalo has to die by Gus somehow in some epic-y way. Gus tells Hector in BB he's the last Salamanca to go.

-BB world overlap in at least one episode. Some Walt/Jesse moment in between demise of Saul and BB and Gene. Tuco back. Walt back. JEsse back. Crazy 8 potentially. There's got to be one "fun" episode like that in store.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Maybe I've forgot, but don't understand why in BCS:
[SHOW]
Kim and Jimmy are afraid of Lalo.

I mean, he somewhat threatened them before but Jimmy's never done anything except represent Lalo successfully, got him out on bail, and muled his bail money across the border.

Jimmy didn't know about the plot to kill Lalo and has only a tangential relationship with Mike that Lalo knows about, no?

Also, how did Lalo realize his phone call was intercepted to Hector?

ETA: Just went to reddit to see others ask that question and learn what an idiot I was for not knowing drug kingpins are dangerous and their mere presence is reason to be scared [expletive]. Regardless, still don't understand the sheer horror they had when seeing him. Hell, 99% of Jimmy's business is because of helping him. Presumably, that good publicity is coming from him. No?
Anyway, yeah, the slow burn finally went boom and it was enjoyable.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
May 24 22, 1:43 pm
[SHOW]

I mean, he somewhat threatened them before but Jimmy's never done anything except represent Lalo successfully, got him out on bail, and muled his bail money across the border.

Jimmy didn't know about the plot to kill Lalo and has only a tangential relationship with Mike that Lalo knows about, no?

ETA: Just went to reddit to see others ask that question and learn what an idiot I was for not knowing drug kingpins are dangerous and their mere presence is reason to be scared [expletive]. Regardless, still don't understand the sheer horror they had when seeing him. Hell, 99% of Jimmy's business is because of helping him. Presumably, that good publicity is coming from him. No?
[SHOW]
Lalo heard the static/artificial noise that tipped off the line was tapped.

As for why they're afraid, you can start with the fact that the cartel boss(who Jimmy thought was dead) walked through their door without warning. The number of good/non-dangerous reasons for that pale in comparison to the bad outcomes.

But maybe more on Jimmy's mind is that he only succeeded in getting Lalo's bail money from the desert with Mike's help, and he knows that Lalo and Gus aren't pals, so he can be very worried about even the faint whiff of perception that he's associated with Gus. Especially since he's already lied to Lalo about this.

In addition, Jimmy already accidentally slipped Lalo's name in the courthouse that drew additional scrutiny on Lalo(and Jimmy).

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
May 24 22, 2:53 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
May 24 22, 1:43 pm
[SHOW]

[SHOW]
Lalo heard the static/artificial noise that tipped off the line was tapped.

As for why they're afraid, you can start with the fact that the cartel boss(who Jimmy thought was dead) walked through their door without warning. The number of good/non-dangerous reasons for that pale in comparison to the bad outcomes.

But maybe more on Jimmy's mind is that he only succeeded in getting Lalo's bail money from the desert with Mike's help, and he knows that Lalo and Gus aren't pals, so he can be very worried about even the faint whiff of perception that he's associated with Gus. Especially since he's already lied to Lalo about this.

In addition, Jimmy already accidentally slipped Lalo's name in the courthouse that drew additional scrutiny on Lalo(and Jimmy).
[SHOW]
Lalo knows Saul worked with Nacho and Gus. So he's possibly there about that. But he's likely there to force Saul to help him get in the laundry building. How and in what way? I am not sure. The laundry building/lab/operation and Gus is Lalo's sole focus.

Btw Kim is less afraid. Mike already filled her in. But she doesn't know Mike's guys had been pulled off (Mike said this in the high school gym to Gus)

I do not know what he plans to do with evidence of the lab and Eladio. It seems he's not going to fall into a Gus trap, as the tapped line indicates he knows it's a trap. Hector said "proof" with the bell ringing phone call to Lalo. So that's the immediate goal it seems.

Back to Gene world: he’s in the hospital at the beginning of Season 4 with the heart attack. But there’s a weird significance to the cab driver who takes him home. That whole few scenes were almost Lynchian. Then he confronts at the mall. There’s almost some things in the house at the beginning of the season that seem significant. Oh well I’ll just wait.

We still don’t know where Gene gets the diamonds! Possible the cab driver is interested in that. Somehow. Or is Kim-affiliated.