TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by tlombard »

33anda3rd wrote:Back to teevee, I recently started The Good Place and marathoned my way to the current ep pretty quickly. I'm utterly in love with Janet. That most recent episode where D'Arcy Carden plays each character in the body/voice of Janet was pretty wonderful. This show doesn't really go anywhere--there's no mystery to solve, there's no pot of gold at the end--but there are these small little bits of character development along the way told through these micro-lessons in ethical philosophy that make it so good.
I don't think there has ever been a bad episode of The Good Place. I love that show. Everything is just done so well down to the smallest detail. And while I agree that it didn't have as much character development as the other shows (or any that I can think of), I think the story arc of the entire series took a pretty good jump/shift at the end when it became obvious that somebody has rigged the scoring system.

I appreciate that they couldn't just do it in a two minute bit so they used D'Arcy Carden imitating all of the other characters to fill in some space while Michael and Janet worked to prove to the accountants that the system has been compromised. I think her impression of Jason was my favorite but she pretty much nailed everybody.

Now the rest of this season will be spent tracking down who is responsible for rigging the point system which will be revealed at the last moment and set things up perfectly for something different and interesting for the series to explore in Season 3!

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i really only know the good place from the rave reviews it gets here (and elsewhere) but i know/knew mike schur was involved with it. what an excellent career he's had.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Jocephus wrote:i really only know the good place from the rave reviews it gets here (and elsewhere) but i know/knew mike schur was involved with it. what an excellent career he's had.
I have email exchanges arguing with him about David Eckstein.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

tlombard wrote:I appreciate that they couldn't just do it in a two minute bit so they used D'Arcy Carden imitating all of the other characters to fill in some space while Michael and Janet worked to prove to the accountants that the system has been compromised. I think her impression of Jason was my favorite but she pretty much nailed everybody.
Carden playing Eleanor disguised as Jason in the body of Janet was pretty incredible.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

33anda3rd wrote:
tlombard wrote:I appreciate that they couldn't just do it in a two minute bit so they used D'Arcy Carden imitating all of the other characters to fill in some space while Michael and Janet worked to prove to the accountants that the system has been compromised. I think her impression of Jason was my favorite but she pretty much nailed everybody.
Carden playing Eleanor disguised as Jason in the body of Janet was pretty incredible.
Yes! I had forgotten about that. I am going to have to watch the episode again tonight or maybe at least find that part when I get a spare moment.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I was up really early yesterday morning and decided to try and find something new (to me) on Netflix. I ended up watching the entire first two seasons of 'Nailed It' straight through. I can't wait for the new season. That show if freaking hilarious. There were times that I was tearing up while laughing.

If you aren't familiar with it, it is a Netflix original that is a baking competition. The difference is that the contestants aren't professional bakers or even good amateur bakers and there are three judges (Nikki something who is a comedian, a regular judge who is a professional pastry chef and then a guest judge who could be anybody). They are generally pretty bad but still love to bake anyway.

Then there are two rounds where the bakers are supposed to duplicate some insanely intricate and fancy thing that was baked by a really talented professional. The first round is routinely cupcakes where they have 45 minutes and the second round is a full blown cake that probably took a professional 8 hours to do... but they have 2 hours.

They are set up for failure from the start and it is hilarious. Everybody knows it and they keep a good attitude when the judges make fun of them during the process and most of them even make fun of themselves while failing. If you have Netflix and some time to kill, I highly recommend giving the show a shot. These people have NO idea how to create most of the stuff necessary and end up getting pretty creative in the process because they don't know how to do it, don't have the time to do it right or a combination of both. I'd seen pictures on the web of some of the failures and they are hilarious but just seeing the pictures without the process of how they got there doesn't do it justice because the process (and their thought processes as they explain them) are even funnier than the end result.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Nicole Byer is the best tv host. Nailed it is very good.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Almost done with all 331 episodes of ER. Roughly 15 to go

A real tearjerker at times.

Corky
Fringe Major League Player

Post by Corky »

Don’t know if this belongs here, but since a “TV Thread”, and since I am in Pennsylvania and in the tv market area for Comcast Mid Atlantic, I get the Pirates, Nationals and Orioles games. I can watch the Cardinals when they play any of those teams plus when they are on MLB Network, which I have, plus on any National tv, ESPN, Fox etc. Just thought I would throw this out. A mod can move it if it is wrong here.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

That's a pretty darn good mix of available options. I would love to have that mix of teams as long as one of them was the Cards!