TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Gypsy Lou
Everyday Player

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Gypsy Lou »

thrill wrote:
December 21 20, 8:43 am
I ultimately don't give a [expletive], but they should reset post-Return of the Jedi to begin with the beginning of Mando season 1, and then re-do another trilogy based on the Luke we just say at the end of the S2 finale. Obviously disney won't de-canonize the Abrams trilogy, ever, but they totally should. The Disney+ team has built a way more interesting and compelling universe by essentially building off of the lore from that Clone Wars cartoon I was too old to ever get into.
Wouldn't even have to do a trilogy of movies, how about a series about Luke training Grogu. I'd take anything like that because to me Star Wars is first and foremost about Luke Skywalker.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I must be alone in that I want Star Wars to get further away from the OT, and I'm a little non-plussed with how much of it is creeping into The Mandalorian. I pretty much never liked the old Luke as a character and don't love the Jedi as a concept. Light sabers and the Force is all good, but the Jedi order is boring. I watched Clone Wars with my kids - it's not that good until it gets to Ahsoka (who is annoying early on) and her leaving, so she's the one old element I was really happy to see. The part where she leaves voluntarily was the first time I've found anything to do with the Jedi interesting since I watched the original movies when they came out.

Seems like there's so much potential for other stories. Old Republic stuff would be great. Going to the future would be great, and keeping the stakes well below planets being destroyed.

Will say I did enjoy seeing Boba Fett come back, because for whatever reason like a lot of people my age he was my favorite character. They pulled that string just right.

Mostly I just want to see cool, weird [expletive] in space. Creatures, ships, blasters, etc. Apparently Star Wars is our chosen delivery system for that content. So ultimately I'll get over it and enjoy some if not most of this stuff they're cranking out.

Haven't seen much talk about how the ages on this show are all messed up. Boba Fett should be about Luke's age, but seems like he's in his 50s, while Luke is maybe 30? Bo-Katan is from Clone Wars and ought to have at least 10 years on Boba Fett, but Katee Sackhoff is about 40. Ahsoka is about right.

Also IRL Ming Na Wen is 57, which is [expletive] incredible.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

because Disney owns stars wars I can see them avenger-izing the star wars brand.

madalorian show, boba fett show, grogu show, etc...and then teaming them all up in a star wars movie. rinse and repeat.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Also - just got done watching The Night Manager, which is a few years old. Based on a John LeCarre novel, which is why i decided to finally watch it. I liked Constant Gardener, and his stuff ought to be right up my alley. Been thinking since he died I should really catch up. Night Manager is good, but it feels like it goes on a bit too long and there's a romantic subplot that feels like a hundred things I've seen before. Well acted overall, but Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston are the two leads and are just kind of there. They're not bad, but Hiddleston is undercover in Laurie's arms dealing organization and I don't think I hated Laurie as much as I should, and I didn't care as much about Hiddleston as I should. Olivia Coleman does a nice job though playing a smart, frumpy intelligence boss that I think might be boring on the page, but she manages to still be kind of charming. You're supposed to care about all this because Hiddleston does, but she's the one who really sells it.

Not sure if I ever mentioned Harley Quinn on HBO Max. Finished that a few weeks back, and it just hit me it's kind of like if Always Sunny were a superhero cartoon. Very shouty and crass, but really funny at times. They borrow Tom Hardy's version of Bane's voice, but he's chatty and insecure relative to the other supervillains. Pretty irreverent in that most of the DC continuity that I'm aware of (which isn't much) seems to be out the window. They also sprinkle in a bunch of oddball DC characters I'd never heard of - Kite Man, Sy Borgman, Calendar Man, Condiment King, Dr Psycho. Every time one of them came up I'd look them up and it turned out to be a real character from a comic.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

ghostrunner wrote:
December 21 20, 2:57 pm

Mostly I just want to see cool, weird [expletive] in space. Creatures, ships, blasters, etc. Apparently Star Wars is our chosen delivery system for that content. So ultimately I'll get over it and enjoy some if not most of this stuff they're cranking out.
This is what I want. Outside of comedies and body of the week shows, there sure isn't much content for adults that's going to tell you a story in an episode, but rather 1/150th of a story. The Mandalorian is about the best thing for it, and all the better because it's set in a very limitless (literal) universe. The second season had a little too much long arc stuff (which I also like), imo. More sandworms and frog humanoids and just light service to longer arcs and politics and universe building.

It would be cool if Amazon's LOTR show lets us see all sorts of crazy [expletive] in Middle Earth.

Basically I want more Reno Raines pulling into a new town's dive bar every week in my life. Years ago I wanted the opposite. I suppose binging and universe building are better for business. But I want more 30 and 60 minute stories.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

ghostrunner wrote:
December 21 20, 3:24 pm
Also - just got done watching The Night Manager, which is a few years old. Based on a John LeCarre novel, which is why i decided to finally watch it. I liked Constant Gardener, and his stuff ought to be right up my alley. Been thinking since he died I should really catch up. Night Manager is good, but it feels like it goes on a bit too long and there's a romantic subplot that feels like a hundred things I've seen before. Well acted overall, but Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston are the two leads and are just kind of there. They're not bad, but Hiddleston is undercover in Laurie's arms dealing organization and I don't think I hated Laurie as much as I should, and I didn't care as much about Hiddleston as I should. Olivia Coleman does a nice job though playing a smart, frumpy intelligence boss that I think might be boring on the page, but she manages to still be kind of charming. You're supposed to care about all this because Hiddleston does, but she's the one who really sells it.
I love every single LeCarre adaptation ever made. I'm just a sucker for ruminative espionage stories. I love The Night Manager. I'd be hesistant to recommend it to anyone who doesn't love LeCarre. It is slow and plodding at times. AMC's The Little Drummer Girl is also worth checking out. Similarly stacked cast. Similar pacing and themes.

Re: The Night Manager, name a single show or film where Tom Hollander is involved and doesn't make it 100 times better? He is an incredible, unlikable villain.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
December 21 20, 9:39 pm
Basically I want more Reno Raines pulling into a new town's dive bar every week in my life. Years ago I wanted the opposite. I suppose binging and universe building are better for business. But I want more 30 and 60 minute stories.
In case you are really pining for old "Renegade" episodes, it still airs once a week on the channel "Heroes & Icons". Saturdays at 3pm PT.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

mikechamp wrote:
December 22 20, 9:46 am
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
December 21 20, 9:39 pm
In case you are really pining for old "Renegade" episodes, it still airs once a week on the channel "Heroes & Icons". Saturdays at 3pm PT.
Part of me does sort of miss flipping through channels. I could see myself having Renegade on while I farted around on my living room guitar. Baywatch, too.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Expanse Season 5 is looking like maybe the best one so far. Last season had less of the solar system intrigue, but this season they seem to be going all in on that. The characters are all spread out but I’m guessing they’ll be mostly reunited soon. You can see they’ve got more money this year, even more so than last season after moving to Amazon. A lot more of those details they had in the first season that make it feel like they’re actually in space.

If the show was more popular, I’d love a spin-off series based on what’s happening to Mars.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »