Dogs

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Dogs

Post by Freed Roger »

Since I am being forced to tell dog stories...

Most recent example relative to crate use was my daughter's ex Bf who crated an Aussie in apt while he went to work or out Dog was cute, super smart, and impressive with speed and jumping. Ultimately We'd watch it or let it out some, and it was a neurotic mess, pissing and jumping on you and knocking things over. No projecting there. It just wasn't a plausible set up for that breed.

With our dogs, been fortunate not to need a crate.
The lab , Big Galoot, would have been a candidate for it, as he was 3ish, and been trained for obedience. As mentioned, when we got him he was hesitant to leave his dog bed space, or enter thru doorways until waved thru.

At first I thought it was kind of cool and interesting as I had never had a dog like that.

Then I lost interest in the novelty since it wasn't needed in our set up. I better disclaim, circumstances vary for others.

Big Galoot came with an igloo shaped dog house. We tried it for while, Whenever we put him outside he would get up on it and stand on the little rounded top peering in the window at us.
For a while, when we took him on walks, people would say "OMG, is that the dog that stands on the Igloo?"
cardsfantx wrote: I'd question you/your behavior if your dog hates being in a crate.
Oh You would, would you? I could have elaborated instead of being flippant, - didnt know 'dems were fightin words I were's saying about crates.

Dogs are trainable, they typically aim to please, and seem to get satisfaction out of it. I.e. Worker dog breeds relish having a task. Service dogs that are trained to help people, typically aren't gallivanting around like my lab did. Yet, they seem content/happy as the Big Galoot.
like I said in my experience, they love their kennel.
Dogs also love sniffing each other's butts. Whoop dems fightin words again.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Freed Roger wrote:Since I am being forced to tell dog stories...

Most recent example relative to crate use was my daughter's ex Bf who crated an Aussie in apt while he went to work or out Dog was cute, super smart, and impressive with speed and jumping. Ultimately We'd watch it or let it out some, and it was a neurotic mess, pissing and jumping on you and knocking things over. No projecting there. It just wasn't a plausible set up for that breed.

With our dogs, been fortunate not to need a crate.
The lab , Big Galoot, would have been a candidate for it, as he was 3ish, and been trained for obedience. As mentioned, when we got him he was hesitant to leave his dog bed space, or enter thru doorways until waved thru.

At first I thought it was kind of cool and interesting as I had never had a dog like that.

Then I lost interest in the novelty since it wasn't needed in our set up. I better disclaim, circumstances vary for others.

Big Galoot came with an igloo shaped dog house. We tried it for while, Whenever we put him outside he would get up on it and stand on the little rounded top peering in the window at us.
For a while, when we took him on walks, people would say "OMG, is that the dog that stands on the Igloo?"
cardsfantx wrote: I'd question you/your behavior if your dog hates being in a crate.
Oh You would, would you? I could have elaborated instead of being flippant, - didnt know 'dems were fightin words I were's saying about crates.

Dogs are trainable, they typically aim to please, and seem to get satisfaction out of it. I.e. Worker dog breeds relish having a task. Service dogs that are trained to help people, typically aren't gallivanting around like my lab did. Yet, they seem content/happy as the Big Galoot.
What do you have against butt sniffing?

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

go birds wrote:
Shes a bernedoodle--i sound so manly when i say that.

There's no doubt she will warm up to it, but it's the interim i'm worried about. Sound carries throughout this building.
The Berne part is Bernese Mountain Dog, right?
They had them guarding the Alpaca farm we visited on vacation. Sign gave the history. Cool looking dogs- and sign expressed these dogs are doing a job, guests shouldn't try to pet/socialize.

They had a real solid woof.

My brother's dog -mostly Antolian shepherd -it was dog that was bred to notify and guard farms too. Dog was great but my bro never solved the barking nuisance, especially at night. I think he even gave the collar thing a try for a while, to no avail. But then he never had any prowler problems.

Maybe there are some tips out there for barking.
If I recall, you try to teach some sort of stifle command for the dog. But it has to be done timely, which makes it hard to implement. I wonder if you could have one of those listening devices (Google home) programmed to issue your stifle command when gone.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Freed Roger wrote:

huh? you started it/this is what you said...
Freed Roger wrote:Dogs are smart enough to size up choices -they see option B is whatever [a scolding, whoopin, or hanging out for undisclosed times in the Texas heat] they will take to the cage option all day long.
you were basically insinuating that the only reason a dog would want or choose to go in a kennel, is if the other option was something horrible like scolding, whipping, being left outside.

they don't...it may not be YOUR experience/what you believe, but backed by freaking nature/science/basically any trainer you'd take a dog to, they would tell you that you need to have a kennel/cage/den area for a dog to be able to go to. his/her area to get away and be by themselves. not a dog pillow/bed next in your room, or your bed...their own "room"/area they can go to. just like you and your kids have...their room.

again, I'm not talking about punishing the dog or leaving it there with the door locked all day. ours is unlocked all day except for the couple hours 1x a week when the cleaning lady is there. other than that, the door is open and he can come/go as he pleases. and he sleeps in there every night (goes in by himself; he's not locked in there) and goes in several times a day to nap/get away from everyone/look out the window (our "kennel" now is actually built into our house. when we built our home/custom, it's got a "dog house" in the laundry room that has it's own window and has heat/air conditioning in it)

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Obligatory

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Freed Roger wrote:
go birds wrote:

There's no doubt she will warm up to it, but it's the interim i'm worried about. Sound carries throughout this building.
They had them guarding the Alpaca farm we visited on vacation. Sign gave the history. Cool looking dogs- and sign expressed these dogs are doing a job, guests shouldn't try to pet/socialize.

My brother's dog -mostly Antolian shepherd -it was dog that was bred to notify and guard farms too. Dog was great but my bro never solved the barking nuisance, especially at night. I think he even gave the collar thing a try for a while, to no avail. But then he never had any prowler problems.

If I recall, you try to teach some sort of stifle command for the dog. But it has to be done timely, which makes it hard to implement. I wonder if you could have one of those listening devices (Google home) programmed to issue your stifle command when gone.
the dog we have now is a Bernese Mountain Dog; our dog before him was an Anatolian Shepherd.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

go birds wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Guilty. Supposedly as a baby I would crawl over and lay in Snoopy's dog bed. (Ah [expletive] there goes 1/3rd of my security question answers).

And all my dogs have had middle names and multiple nicknames.

And our current pair does a family howl with me to mark occassions.

That all said- Does it get more anthropomorphic than "my dog loves it's cage"? Other than my "my dog loves mushy ribs?"

Also, back to Go Birds- dogs are trainable to do a lot of things - I suspect any dog that can be crate trained can also be trained to live in home sans crate without destroying the place.

What sort of breed Go Birds? Some types just don't go for it.

my wife wants a bernedoodle next; we have a Bernese Mountain Dog now...thing is the worst shedding dog we've ever had (and we've had some shedders), and the bernedoodle is supposed to not shed...so you kind of get the Bernese Mountain Dog look without all the shedding.

the only thing holding us back is the size; think they only get about 75ish pounds, and we only really have had huge dogs/wife particularly only wants large...the Bernese is the smallest one we've had, and he's 120 lbs (and may have some room to grow/3 years old)

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

cardsfantx wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
go birds wrote:

the dog we have now is a Bernese Mountain Dog; our dog before him was an Anatolian Shepherd.
Barking issues?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

cardsfantx wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:I hate crates. Just my opinion.
I've seen the videos...you seemed to enjoy yourself.
I meant for dogs. What consenting adults do for money or free is their business.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

cardsfantx wrote:
go birds wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Guilty. Supposedly as a baby I would crawl over and lay in Snoopy's dog bed. (Ah [expletive] there goes 1/3rd of my security question answers).

And all my dogs have had middle names and multiple nicknames.

And our current pair does a family howl with me to mark occassions.

That all said- Does it get more anthropomorphic than "my dog loves it's cage"? Other than my "my dog loves mushy ribs?"

Also, back to Go Birds- dogs are trainable to do a lot of things - I suspect any dog that can be crate trained can also be trained to live in home sans crate without destroying the place.

What sort of breed Go Birds? Some types just don't go for it.

my wife wants a bernedoodle next; we have a Bernese Mountain Dog now...thing is the worst shedding dog we've ever had (and we've had some shedders), and the bernedoodle is supposed to not shed...so you kind of get the Bernese Mountain Dog look without all the shedding.

the only thing holding us back is the size; think they only get about 75ish pounds, and we only really have had huge dogs/wife particularly only wants large...the Bernese is the smallest one we've had, and he's 120 lbs (and may have some room to grow/3 years old)
let me be the first to say the non-shedding thing is a myth. my older dog is a goldendoodle and sheds worse than any dog you would ever imagine.

but, i'm paying the price for getting a wavy haired doodle. and i'm fine with that because im definitely not a fan of the curly haired doodles. the curly doodles are the ones that don't shed as much though, so that'd something to keep in mind.

always like bernies and would have loved to have gotten one but they do get huge and my GF cannot walk both monsters at the same time. the new pup is a mini and will supposedly top out at 35 pounds (runt of the litter) so it was a nice compromise. She's 9 pounds at 3 months, so there is hope.

Anyway, hadn't even thought of the collar approach. Maybe i'll look into that.

We actually just hired a trainer that will come out and train her, so maybe that will help.

The good thing about this trainer is that we will be getting training for two dogs for the price of one.

The aforementioned goldendoodle is about as sweet as can be around humans but is super territorial and will be aggressive towards other dogs. No bueno in a condo building. I've managed to handle any situation that arises, but my GF isnt equipped to handle two dogs, especially one that can be aggressive.

That's definitely on me though, cause i didn't do the best job with training him in that respect. Hopefully we can teach this old dog new tricks.

Oddly enough, he seems to be getting along with the new pup. and by getting along, i mean tolerating. He's only snapped at her a couple times and as rambunctious as she's been, i consider that a win.