Dogs

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
go birds
-go birds

Re: Dogs

Post by go birds »

has anyone ever seen their dog lick the top layer of the padding on one of their paws off?

to give you an idea of what im talking about, it looks to be the equivalent of when a human gets a blister, pops it, the skins dries and then just kind of hangs on by a thread.

my dogs been licking at his paw for the last week or so, so i took him to the vet and there wasnt anything noticeably wrong as he wasn't limping or bleeding. the vet said it's prolly just a small cut, like a papercut and my dog is doing nothing but continuing to irritate it because it doesnt know any better. plausible. it hasn't slowed him down or anything.

anyway, i was given a spray so ive been applying that. Not sure that it's working because ill catch my dog licking his paw. Today was when i noticed that the skin of his paw coming off.

i guess what im getting at here is....is this something that i should be _too_ concerned about? will that skin callous up? obviously i plan on taking him to the vet if this continues, but im just trying to gauge how concerned i should be.

Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star

Post by Bo Hart »

go birds wrote:i guess what im getting at here is....is this something that i should be _too_ concerned about? will that skin callous up? obviously i plan on taking him to the vet if this continues, but im just trying to gauge how concerned i should be.
I would call the vet. Sometimes the receptionists are quite knowledgeable, and can even arrange for the vet to call you back. It's kind of a nice intermediate option that's short of having to arrange a full trip to the vet and rack up a big bill. I did it once after my pet was running into issues post-spay, and I found it informative and reassuring.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Kyle wrote:
go birds wrote:i guess what im getting at here is....is this something that i should be _too_ concerned about? will that skin callous up? obviously i plan on taking him to the vet if this continues, but im just trying to gauge how concerned i should be.
I would call the vet. Sometimes the receptionists are quite knowledgeable, and can even arrange for the vet to call you back. It's kind of a nice intermediate option that's short of having to arrange a full trip to the vet and rack up a big bill. I did it once after my pet was running into issues post-spay, and I found it informative and reassuring.
he seemed fine today, so I'll give it another day or two before calling.

im just wondering if he burnt his paw on the pavement and it blistered up. because thats what it looked like...though im not sure if that's possible.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

There's a thing going round about how asphalt can get up to insane temperatures even when it's not super-hot; while it's almost certainly worst-case-scenario stuff, I guess it's not outside the realms of possibility that it might have aggravated a sensitive part of your dog's paw.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Licking paws can also be a symptom of allergies. Vets have suggested normal benadryl to me when confronted with that option, so that'd be a super cheap and low risk test to give it to them for a couple days to see if the licking persists. When in doubt though, call the vet.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

go birds wrote:
im just wondering if he burnt his paw on the pavement and it blistered up. because thats what it looked like...though im not sure if that's possible.
For sure they can on hot pavement.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I nearly killed the Big Galoot on the Ozark Trail a few years ago. Sharp rocks on trail for 12 miles ripped em up. Poor guy kept going and going. Then he stopped going and hundreds of ticks rained down on us. Such a bad oblivious friend I was that day. Vet bandaged the paws up and they do heal quick. He said he sees it a lot when dogs are around swimming pools or on docks.

Then a few days later diagnosed with some kind of tick borne disease that was caught in time.

He still plugging along.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Freed Roger wrote:I nearly killed the Big Galoot on the Ozark Trail a few years ago. Sharp rocks on trail for 12 miles ripped em up. Poor guy kept going and going. Then he stopped going and hundreds of ticks rained down on us. Such a bad oblivious friend I was that day. Vet bandaged the paws up and they do heal quick. He said he sees it a lot when dogs are around swimming pools or on docks.

Then a few days later diagnosed with some kind of tick borne disease that was caught in time.

He still plugging along.
God, I hope you're exaggerating.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:I nearly killed the Big Galoot on the Ozark Trail a few years ago. Sharp rocks on trail for 12 miles ripped em up. Poor guy kept going and going. Then he stopped going and hundreds of ticks rained down on us. Such a bad oblivious friend I was that day. Vet bandaged the paws up and they do heal quick. He said he sees it a lot when dogs are around swimming pools or on docks.

He still plugging along.
God, I hope you're exaggerating.
Not by much. It was hellacious.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

yea hes doing better. im guessing it was just a blister from the hot pavement. guess id just never given it consideration that a paw could blister up.

i am definitely more cognizant about it these days. poor guy. didnt phase him much but i could tell it was irritating him