Dogs

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: Dogs

Post by tlombard »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
tlombard wrote:I am playing in a kickball tournament to benefit an animal rescue foundation (can't remember which one). Some friends of mine are putting it on in memory of a girl they played kickball with who passed this last summer and she did a lot of work with this foundation so they want to raise money in her memory. I recently found out that as part of the event they will be bringing in adoptable puppies to play with all day. Drinking around adoptable puppies is probably not a good idea for me. I am going to have to be really careful to not walk away with a new puppy.
I assume you live alone. You seem way too busy to give a puppy or a dog the attention it deserves. Keep that in mind...
I absolutely know that I should not have a dog at this time and I will not be adopting one Sunday. When I had Bailey I was living up by the airport in a house that had a backyard that was big enough for me to throw a ball for her to chase over and over again (her favorite thing to do) and a roommate who could let her out on the nights I had something after work and would be home late. My schedule was also a lot more open other than softball two nights a week. I didn't randomly stop by a bar to watch a game or just randomly go to baseball games after work like I do now. I actually had a reason to want to go home right after work.

There are people in my neighborhood who have dogs and I don't know how they do it with no back yards. Sure it isn't a problem to go for a nice walk a couple of times a day when the weather is nice but it has to be terrible when it is freezing cold or storming.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

tlombard wrote:
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
tlombard wrote:I am playing in a kickball tournament to benefit an animal rescue foundation (can't remember which one). Some friends of mine are putting it on in memory of a girl they played kickball with who passed this last summer and she did a lot of work with this foundation so they want to raise money in her memory. I recently found out that as part of the event they will be bringing in adoptable puppies to play with all day. Drinking around adoptable puppies is probably not a good idea for me. I am going to have to be really careful to not walk away with a new puppy.
I assume you live alone. You seem way too busy to give a puppy or a dog the attention it deserves. Keep that in mind...
I absolutely know that I should not have a dog at this time and I will not be adopting one Sunday. When I had Bailey I was living up by the airport in a house that had a backyard that was big enough for me to throw a ball for her to chase over and over again (her favorite thing to do) and a roommate who could let her out on the nights I had something after work and would be home late. My schedule was also a lot more open other than softball two nights a week. I didn't randomly stop by a bar to watch a game or just randomly go to baseball games after work like I do now. I actually had a reason to want to go home right after work.

There are people in my neighborhood who have dogs and I don't know how they do it with no back yards. Sure it isn't a problem to go for a nice walk a couple of times a day when the weather is nice but it has to be terrible when it is freezing cold or storming.
Speaking from someone with two dogs who lived in a high rise apartment in downtown St Paul, it is a [expletive] with dogs in the winter. We had a roughly 2 block walk to the nearest plot of any semblance of grass. Those 2 blocks feel like two miles when it is -20 outside. Not to mention, the elevator knows, and I swear it reduced its speed by 50% whenever my wife or I stepped in so we could take the dogs out.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Swirls wrote:Speaking from someone with two dogs who lived in a high rise apartment in downtown St Paul, it is a [expletive] with dogs in the winter. We had a roughly 2 block walk to the nearest plot of any semblance of grass. Those 2 blocks feel like two miles when it is -20 outside. Not to mention, the elevator knows, and I swear it reduced its speed by 50% whenever my wife or I stepped in so we could take the dogs out.
When I lived in a townhouse in Kirkwood we once got a letter from the leasing office threatening to fine us if we didn't clean up after our dog. There was dog poop in the little patch of grass out front. We didn't even have a dog. Some jerkface would just let their dog [expletive] in our patch of grass and never pick it up. I think they were just letting the dog out of their front door and not even bothering to follow them or use a leash. We never figured out who it was. We had to reiterate multiple times to the leasing office that we didn't have any pets and they eventually left us alone to try and figure out who's dog was pooping up the place but I don't think they ever did either.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

tlombard wrote:
Swirls wrote:Speaking from someone with two dogs who lived in a high rise apartment in downtown St Paul, it is a [expletive] with dogs in the winter. We had a roughly 2 block walk to the nearest plot of any semblance of grass. Those 2 blocks feel like two miles when it is -20 outside. Not to mention, the elevator knows, and I swear it reduced its speed by 50% whenever my wife or I stepped in so we could take the dogs out.
When I lived in a townhouse in Kirkwood we once got a letter from the leasing office threatening to fine us if we didn't clean up after our dog. There was dog poop in the little patch of grass out front. We didn't even have a dog. Some jerkface would just let their dog [expletive] in our patch of grass and never pick it up. I think they were just letting the dog out of their front door and not even bothering to follow them or use a leash. We never figured out who it was. We had to reiterate multiple times to the leasing office that we didn't have any pets and they eventually left us alone to try and figure out who's dog was pooping up the place but I don't think they ever did either.
Why were you pooping in the front yard?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

lukethedrifter wrote:
tlombard wrote:
It is really freeing. You should try it some time. I highly recommend it.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

tlombard wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
tlombard wrote:
It is really freeing. You should try it some time. I highly recommend it.
It's also a really good ice breaker if you have private/reserved neighbors.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

That video isn't working in my browser but I think it's the dog jumping into the pile of leaves video that I watched a thousand times yesterday. So good.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Sure miss taking Big Galoot out in the snow. Was a dominant beast in it. His kryptonite was ice though scared [expletive] of it

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »