Dogs

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Dogs

Post by lukethedrifter »

Son in law was all about the huge [expletive] pure breeds. Can’t recall the breed Gus was but he pinned s-i-l’s gf over a shoe or something and he basically sided w the dog. Had to finally go to rescue farm. Next up, Louis, a Dogue de Bordeaux. Couldn’t be outside in heat for more than a few minutes. Stairs dangerous to heart. Pure vanity. So effed up in my opinion; breeding ipoor health & short life spans is also cruel.

At least this time he went with a “heritage” breed bulldog.

Hope this doesn’t hurt any feelings

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

cardsfantx wrote:
..it may not be YOUR experience/what you believe, but backed by freaking nature/science/basically any trainer you'd take a dog to, they would tell you that you need to have a kennel/cage/den area for a dog to be able to go to. his/her area to get away and be by themselves. not a dog pillow/bed next in your room, or your bed...their own "room"/area they can go to. just like you and your kids have...their room.
yep I acknowledged that the people (trainers etc) say that is the way it should be with crate space. Someone has to claim the expertise. I'm not going all PETA over this-saying Dogs can be happy in a number of scenarios.

It's the "they all like their own room" or den thing that doesn't add up. Aren't dogs pack animals naturally? My more free- range house dogs, they seem to mostly want to be where we are. And when they sleep and lounge around, which is often, they sample around based on conditions ( a cool floor, a sunny spot etc etc), rather than wandering around looking for their own room.

I compared this to the obedient "dog walking" rules. Family members should definitely be able to curtail their dog on a walk. But the strict heel-trained obedience thing isn't always part of this - even in our case with a 90lb lab.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Freed Roger wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
go birds wrote:
Shes a bernedoodle--i sound so manly when i say that.

There's no doubt she will warm up to it, but it's the interim i'm worried about. Sound carries throughout this building.
The Berne part is Bernese Mountain Dog, right?
They had them guarding the Alpaca farm we visited on vacation. Sign gave the history. Cool looking dogs- and sign expressed these dogs are doing a job, guests shouldn't try to pet/socialize.

They had a real solid woof.

My brother's dog -mostly Antolian shepherd -it was dog that was bred to notify and guard farms too. Dog was great but my bro never solved the barking nuisance, especially at night. I think he even gave the collar thing a try for a while, to no avail. But then he never had any prowler problems.

Maybe there are some tips out there for barking.
If I recall, you try to teach some sort of stifle command for the dog. But it has to be done timely, which makes it hard to implement. I wonder if you could have one of those listening devices (Google home) programmed to issue your stifle command when gone.
the dog we have now is a Bernese Mountain Dog; our dog before him was an Anatolian Shepherd.
Barking issues?
not the Anatolian shepherd...he was actually oddly quiet. don't know if it's something maybe with the herding aspect/didn't want to frighten animals/wanted to be stealthy??...I dunno...but I remember how I thought it was odd that he only barked a handful of times; literally

the Bernese yes; not too much inside, but when we let him out he'll bark at anything that moves. it's prob annoying I know, but personally I don't mind a loud/deep bark. it's the yapping of small dogs that gets to me.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I was not pleased with the loud deep barks of the two big white dogs at the campground last week.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

lukethedrifter wrote:I was not pleased with the loud deep barks of the two big white dogs at the campground last week.
yeah, if he won't shut up/get it out of his system after a few mins, I'll take him back inside.

esp living where pretty much everyone has a pool/hangs out outside all day/night during the summer, no one wants to hear that for long.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

250 dogs killed by pissed off monkeys
A group of monkeys in a small town in India took "revenge" on the local dog population this month by throwing them off of the top of tall buildings and trees. It is reported that the monkeys have killed about 250 pups in the process and are now targeting villagers.

The monkeys, located in Majalgaon, India started the rampage after some of the dogs allegedly killed an infant monkey. News18 reported that when the monkeys see a dog approach, they catch them and throw them from a significant height to the ground.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

That's the first conversation of many conversations that eventually leads to the Planet of the Apes scenario.

After seeing that and the videos of chimps going to war, orangutans spear fishing, etc, I'm convinced primates and apes are way smarter than we understand.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I think I'm still basically pretending, inwardly, that none of this happened. But over the weekend Duncan, my little rescue beagle of the last 14 years, had two seizures. I didn't know what was happening at first, and I thought she was dying. I took her to the emergency vet, who is pretty certain the seizures are being caused by a brain tumor. There's nothing to do but give her anti-seizure medicine and wait for the inevitable, which will most likely come when we decide she is suffering too much to make her go on. Could be a month, could be more months, but it's not really negotiable that this is the future that is coming.

We told the kids. I didn't think it would help them to lie and say she's ok and then let it be an awful surprise when the day to say goodbye comes. There were a lot of tears.

Anyway, this is Duncan, and she's a mess and she's been my best friend for a long time.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Going through this myself, I really wish I could offer something more that could help other than to say that I have little doubt that Duncan knows that she is loved and that you are all there for her and will care for her in whatever way is best. It’s perhaps a cliched sentiment, but nonetheless true, that the inevitability of loss is the price we pay for love, and there is no question that it’s one worth paying.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Arthur Dent wrote:
September 6 22, 9:28 pm
Going through this myself, I really wish I could offer something more that could help other than to say that I have little doubt that Duncan knows that she is loved and that you are all there for her and will care for her in whatever way is best. It’s perhaps a cliched sentiment, but nonetheless true, that the inevitability of loss is the price we pay for love, and there is no question that it’s one worth paying.
Thanks AD, I appreciate the truth and kindness in your words. I hope your journey goes as peaceably as possible too.