Asheville, NC

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Asheville, NC

Post by Freed Roger »

Tim wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:well, there goes Freed family integrity -we are going back. We will flip the bird to the crooked bigots as we hike paddle and drink beer

Mrs Freed was dragging her feet about going and I had to admit that the Missouri political stance is bassackwards too, maybe even worse..
Again. I can't recommend enough.

http://salsasnc.com/
All right. I better start working on expanding my stomach now.

A couple hour float trip on the French Broad River seems highly doable.

You have any favorite easy-ish hikes around there, Tim? I'd love to do a day long, [expletive], I'd love to do a month-long hike but with limited time, varied interests etc- we may want to keep it simple, high reward to effort ratio. ( I see a bunch of waterfall hikes in Dupont State Forest-have you been).

I'm hoping to run/hike the Shut In Ridge Trail (on my own). Lots of vert, and would serve as a good ball-buster trainer for a trail marathon I'm in for in May.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Thinking about doing a long weekend there for valentines.

I perused the thread and since it's a few years old, wasn't sure how much still applicable.

So my main question is--is hiking this time of year (mid-feb) possible? GF insists we hike while there and i'm ok with it--just wondering what the conditions are like.

Aside from the Biltmore, is there is there anything we should check out? Restaurants? Breweries?

We plan on hiking that Saturday so we'd be looking to fill up Sunday with activities.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

go birds wrote:Thinking about doing a long weekend there for valentines.

I perused the thread and since it's a few years old, wasn't sure how much still applicable.

So my main question is--is hiking this time of year (mid-feb) possible? GF insists we hike while there and i'm ok with it--just wondering what the conditions are like.

Aside from the Biltmore, is there is there anything we should check out? Restaurants? Breweries?

We plan on hiking that Saturday so we'd be looking to fill up Sunday with activities.
Hold tight

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

I imagine you can hike, but it’s going to be cold.

Biltmore is a must, but reserve a week in advance. You get a discount. Also check out their winery.

I’ve not been impressed with the food scene, but many of my friends have been. I do love love love www.salsasnc.com Menu changes daily. Never had a bad meal. If you like tapas Curate gets high marks.

Beer scene is truly bonkers. Wicked Weed, Catawba Brewing and Lexington Avenue are all good. Catawba White Zombie is a great beer IMO

Go to the basement of The Thirsty Monk and drink a few flights.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Tim wrote:I imagine you can hike, but it’s going to be cold.

Biltmore is a must, but reserve a week in advance. You get a discount. Also check out their winery.

I’ve not been impressed with the food scene, but many of my friends have been. I do love love love http://www.salsasnc.com Menu changes daily. Never had a bad meal. If you like tapas Curate gets high marks.

Beer scene is truly bonkers. Wicked Weed, Catawba Brewing and Lexington Avenue are all good. Catawba White Zombie is a great beer IMO

good stuff. Like the sound of the Thirsty Monk.

Is the Biltmore an all day affair? or a hald-day type of thing?

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

go birds wrote:
Tim wrote:I imagine you can hike, but it’s going to be cold.

I’ve not been impressed with the food scene, but many of my friends have been. I do love love love http://www.salsasnc.com Menu changes daily. Never had a bad meal. If you like tapas Curate gets high marks.

good stuff. Like the sound of the Thirsty Monk.

Is the Biltmore an all day affair? or a hald-day type of thing?
I really think you can knock it out in half a day.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

We plan on hiking that Saturday so we'd be looking to fill up Sunday with
We never went to Biltmore, seemed like too much time -for how long we were there.

Definitely hit Biscuithead. Other food and beer, you can make your way -hard to go wrong, on the low or more pricey end.

White Duck Taco (the one in the Arts district- cool graffiti display there) , Salsas. Wicked Weed (brewery) had good food (kind of big though, may not be chill enough for all). Went to Rhubarb and a couple other ones around there. Blackbird.. All good. I really want to go to Curate, (33rd pimped for it)

Breweries - just wing it and sample. on the smallish side, I liked Green Man (the old space is better) Funkatorium, Burial. Hi-Line. Big beer-Sierra Nevada is massive and impressive, but touristy. You can also get all sorts of beers about any restaurant. Thirsty Monk is a great taproom.

We stayed at A-loft hotel, so it was convenient to walking to all the food and beverage. We also adopted the two sibling dogs they had in the lobby (an adoption program-they had to cl us out 1st and we had to make return trip). Their lobby is good space to hang out -good lobby bar and pool table. Movie theater across the street.

Hiking- yeah you will need to with all the food and beer. Weather is hit or miss. And Fog may wreck vistas. it was pretty, still some green with rhododendrons and pines. I did Graybeard Mountain on a college campus (Montreat) on New Years weekend 2017. We drove out along the Blue Ridge Parkway and hit a trail....the drive there is great, so at least do that and check out along the pullouts.. Lobby literature with a beer is what I used to pick one. Waterfalls probably good that time year.

You may want to check out who is at music venues . Orange Peel, Grey Eagle.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Freed Roger wrote:

We plan on hiking that Saturday so we'd be looking to fill up Sunday with
We never went to Biltmore, seemed like too much time -for how long we were there.

Definitely hit Biscuithead. Other food and beer, you can make your way -hard to go wrong, on the low or more pricey end.

White Duck Taco (the one in the Arts district- cool graffiti display there) , Salsas. Wicked Weed (brewery) had good food (kind of big though, may not be chill enough for all). Went to Rhubarb and a couple other ones around there. Blackbird.. All good. I really want to go to Curate, (33rd pimped for it)

Breweries - just wing it and sample. on the smallish side, I liked Green Man (the old space is better) Funkatorium, Burial. Hi-Line. Big beer-Sierra Nevada is massive and impressive, but touristy. You can also get all sorts of beers about any restaurant. Thirsty Monk is a great taproom.

We stayed at A-loft hotel, so it was convenient to walking to all the food and beverage. We also adopted the two sibling dogs they had in the lobby (an adoption program-they had to cl us out 1st and we had to make return trip). Their lobby is good space to hang out -good lobby bar and pool table. Movie theater across the street.

Hiking- yeah you will need to with all the food and beer. Weather is hit or miss. And Fog may wreck vistas. it was pretty, still some green with rhododendrons and pines. I did Graybeard Mountain on a college campus (Montreat) on New Years weekend 2017. We drove out along the Blue Ridge Parkway and hit a trail....the drive there is great, so at least do that and check out along the pullouts.. Lobby literature with a beer is what I used to pick one. Waterfalls probably good that time year.

You may want to check out who is at music venues . Orange Peel, Grey Eagle.
*takes note*

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Skip Sierra Nevada IMO

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Tim wrote:Skip Sierra Nevada IMO
yeah, I most likely wouldn't go back. we hit it on a glorious non-crowded day. sat outside, only drank.

Not that it would be terrible to go, but if you eat there, it is generally a buzzer wait for table type place

South Slope area is where to brewery crawl.