Book thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Book thread

Post by docellis »

Didn't we have one of these? My search results were inadequate.

So I am reading a book called The Lie by Chad Kultgen. I feel defiled and I think it is a book written for college age people but I can't put it down.

Also bought but haven't read yet: Afghan Campaign by Steven Pressfield. It is historical fiction but from what I can tell despite being set a long time ago it might as well have been written yesterday.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Re: Book thread

Post by haltz »

pop_haines wrote:the funniest book ever written
ftfy

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

pop_haines wrote:
haltz wrote:
pop_haines wrote:the funniest book ever written
ftfy
And a nice fix it is.

The part where Ignatius leads the 'riot' at Levy Pants and the choir sings
while Ignatius is screaming at them to stop...that is just magic. I had to
put the book down or I would have died.
I try to read that book once a year, and the last time I did I was at home working as a classroom assistant, so I was sitting in the back of a high school science class when I read that scene. It was very awkward.

It's easiest to get classics in English here. I'm halfway through 'A Tale of Two Cities.' I love Dickens (please note the 'ens'), but I've never read this one before. He's so witty and sharp. The chapters where the lawyer almost proposes to Miss Manette are absolutely hilarious. The book has taken a while to get going (the expletive and the fan are finally in the same room), but I enjoy his style so much I don't really mind. At times, I do wish he wrote in a different period. I hate how the female love interests of this era are such perfect porcelain dolls. I almost want Lucie Manette to rip an unholy fart in the next chapter.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I have been in a horrible reading slump the past few years. I think I've only read 3 books since moving to StL. But I am trying to get back to it.

I'm reading The Road right now. It is incredible. It is one of those books where I can't wait to get back home and read again.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

I'm finishing up the Godfather.

Confederacy of Dunces is great...and anything by Bill Bryson is hilarious.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

TimeForGuinness wrote:I'm finishing up the Godfather.

They bootleg all his books in the backpacker district here. I've considered them. I'm not a real big fan of travel books, which is probably why I haven't yet. Any specific Bryson suggestions?

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

MrSaigon wrote:

They bootleg all his books in the backpacker district here. I've considered them. I'm not a real big fan of travel books, which is probably why I haven't yet. Any specific Bryson suggestions?

The Mother Tongue; A Short History of Nearly Everything; A Walk in the Woods.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Finally finished Ted Kennedy's memoir, True Compass, last night. Took awhile to grind through it. In fact, I put it aside halfway through to read The Road.

Next in my queue: The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

JackofDiamonds wrote:
MrSaigon wrote:

.The Mother Tongue; A Short History of Nearly Everything; A Walk in the Woods.

Thanks for starting this up doc.

Bryson - The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America
- The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.

I couldnt get into his "short history of nearly everything." "Walk in the Woods" is a good one - lots of good yarns in there.

Recently finished "Where Men Win Glory- Odessey of Pat Tillman" sp? By Jon Krakauer. It was just ok, was disappointed.
[SHOW]
Didn't learn too much, I already knew Tillman's death (friendly fire) was subject to high level cover up for the sake of propaganda.
Not enough story, too many names, and some indirectly related tangents by author. A major hole is that Krakauer did not interview Pat's close brother who joined and served with Pat, Kevin Tillman (assumed he declined)
Now I'm getting back to Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian". The guy is clearly a master writer, but at the end of the day, how many descriptions and tales of hell on earth do you want read about before bed.

"Born to Run." true tales about a tribe of running folk in Mexico and their American counterparts in ultra-running. Its fun to read. Some history and bounces around. Not the best book, but easy reading, you'll get something out of it.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I'm reading the Philip Roth book in which he create a world where aviation hero and Hitler apologist Charles Lindbergh is elected President. One of the guys at work asked me about it and I gave him a brief summary- seven y/o Jewish kid from Jersey's perspective, etc. His comment was, "I don't understand Jewish people. They do a lot of weird things" My comment was something along the lines of, "Do you mean like Pentacostals and Muslims and Buddhists?" He listens to a lot of Glenn Beck so I try not to engage him in conversation.

The 9 y/o is reading The Hobbit and the book of Genesis on her way through the Bible. She's had quite a few WTF comments already.