Escape artist

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Escape artist

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Damnit, man. Sorry to hear @Arthur Dent .

15.5 years is a good life for a dog and no doubt she was lucky to have an amazing owner/care-giver/friend.

I think about the video you posted frequently, especially now that I'm looking to install a fence precisely to keep dogs in our yard. And, every time I think of it, I'm always amazed at what she did and how happy she seemed while doing it.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Arthur Dent wrote:
May 23 22, 4:11 pm
My little athlete has entered a sad decline at now 15.5 years old. She developed what amounts to dog ALS with her spinal nerves degenerating to the point where she has trouble controlling her hind legs. There is no effective treatment, so I expect she will soon lose all use followed by control of bowels and on to more lethal failures. She’s been a wonderful life companion, and there is no doubt it’s just that the clock runs out without anything to regret. I’d like to be able to approach the situation with some kind of healthy acceptance of the inevitable, and enjoy our remaining time together, but it’s incredibly painful.

Being officially middle aged, mourning the loss of my youth, seeing my parents impending decline, that my years ahead and behind are perhaps equal, what a big emotional waste of time.
Sorry to hear that AD. Make the most of the time you have left with her. Give her lots of cuddles.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

My guy is 14 and is starting his decline, as well. So much has changed in my life since I got him at 22. He's been the only constant. It's going to wreck me but I'm present and grateful with him every day, so I'm there with him every step of the way.His back hips are shot, he can't even scratch himself with them anymore. His ability to not go in the house overnight is extremely reduced. He had zero accidents his entire life (other than when he drank bleached water out of my neighbors fountain, not his fault) but now it happens a few times a week. I love him more than anything else. He's pretty much completely deaf and his vision seems pretty shot, too. Going to be a tough one for me when he passes. For now, he's still eating and very happy to go on walks.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

if i'm allowed to speak of a cat, then im in a similar situation. my elder cat turned 15 this year (as far as i know) and i can tell that in this last year or so he's definitely entered his elderly state. he's still in good shape honestly but you can just tell. he's lost a bit of weight, which might be a good thing actually but he also seems a little more cautious and wobbly sometimes. that said, he can still be engaged with a ball with a bell, loves his catnip cigar and will do the standard "random cat freakout" (where he darts out of a room for seemingly no reason)...he can still jump on the bed and other elevated objects to lay down on or whatever. he's a siamese, can be moody and does that "iconic" meezer cat call which can be painful to listen to but i know i'll miss it when he's gone. he may have a couple years left in him but at same time who knows and that makes me sad.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

thrill wrote:
May 24 22, 10:50 am
For now, he's still eating and very happy to go on walks.
That’s great. Mine still seems very happy too. Her hearing went out some months ago, and other than sometimes being startled that I’m behind her, it doesn’t seem to have bothered her at all. With the failing legs, sometimes she fails to do something, and she’ll just take a second or two to gather herself and will go right back at it. It’s honestly rather humbling and frankly inspiring. Does not let it get her down.

As it’s gotten worse, I have seen one or two flashes of defeat in her eyes at bad moments, which is upsetting, but I think she’ll let me know what she needs.
Last edited by Arthur Dent on May 24 22, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

My Grandmother lost both of her collies over the last year; one was 15+ and the other 13-14. Great dogs, great companions. Difficult thing to go through but you take the trade off of unconditional affection and loyalty. My guy is 7 years old already and still acts like a puppy but it is good to be reminded to cherish the time we have with them. Best thoughts for all your pets.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Arthur Dent wrote:
May 24 22, 11:16 am
As it’s gotten worse, I have seen one or two flashes of defeat in her eyes at bad moments, which is upsetting, but I think she’ll let me know what needs.
I've read a couple of Outside magazine pieces recently covering pet death.

https://www.outsideonline.com/culture/l ... s-old-dog/
In this one, the author said that your dog understands it is declining, too. It may not be aware of it's mortality, but it is aware of not being able to do what it's always been able to do. I have zero notion as to whether that's true, but it's helped me anyway. Makes his decline and death not just selfishly about my experience, but helps me be aware that it's also about his experience, even if it is very different than mine. I lost my grandma a couple of months ago, and her awareness of being near the end and tired of fighting it really helped me cope. She literally told me last Christmas, "this is the last time you're ever going to see me, but that's not tragic. I love you and feel your love for me. You should grieve, but just know I'm ready and have no regrets." It really, really helped me cope with my emotions but also prepared me for my own death, hopefully far in the future. Knowing that in some way, my dog feels similarly, and is not capable of regret, helps.

https://www.outsideonline.com/culture/e ... dog-grief/
This one is just about giving yourself license and space to grieve a pet without dismissing your feelings because human life is more sacred.

Both have helped me in small ways.
Jocephus wrote:
May 24 22, 11:11 am
i know i'll miss it when he's gone. he may have a couple years left in him but at same time who knows and that makes me sad.
1) dog owners implying feelings for a cat aren't on the level, are cruel and stupid.
2) in my experience, cats can age weirdly! My parents cat just passed at 21. At 16 I thought she was done. Barely moved, lost a bunch of weight, but she just kind of settled in that stage for another 5 years. I really hope that is the case for you.

Tryin not to cry at my desk thinking about my guy Teddy. He'll still be there when I get home.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Interesting articles, @thrill .

A couple years ago, Mrs. AW had a dog that was seemingly pretty healthy albeit about 12 years old.

Can't remember everything that happened, but do specifically remember she was acting a little 'off' and climbed up on my lap and was looking at me and licking me. Mrs. AW called the vet and they said to bring the dog in in the morning. The dog was very clingy that night and unfortunately we never got her to the vet. She got up in the middle of the night with labored breathing and Mrs. AW rushed her to the vet but she passed away on the way there. To this day, I still believe she knew she was dying. And was completely calm about it. Mrs. AW was beside herself that 1) she didn't take her to the vet that night and 2) she wasted the last of her time in the car instead of just holding her.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

thrill wrote:
May 24 22, 12:58 pm
2) in my experience, cats can age weirdly! My parents cat just passed at 21. At 16 I thought she was done. Barely moved, lost a bunch of weight, but she just kind of settled in that stage for another 5 years. I really hope that is the case for you.
A move also known as "The Pujols."

Ok, I'll see myself out.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Inara has been doing much better than I feared. When I posted this, she'd had an upsetting episode where she just could not get her back legs working well enough to stand up. Fortunately, that appears to be the exception rather than the new rule. Though I'm sure the disease will progress, so far it's only sort of happened one more time and seems to be linked to not getting enough rest (she needs tons of rest these days). She does have persistent weakness, is kind of wobbly in the back, and sometimes has trouble doing important things like getting into her favorite chair, but she's largely figured out how to adapt and maintain a high quality of life, which is a huge blessing. She's also very proud. When she fell down attempting to get in her chair, my wife helped her back in and then made a huge fuss over her, telling her we loved her and would care for her, etc. As soon as that concluded, she promptly jumped down from the chair, paused a moment to gather herself, and then jumped right back in the chair on her own. I've found that the secret when you help her is to act like it is nothing, and immediately go back to whatever you were doing before.

Not having her old energy, she can't go on too long journeys anymore, so we acquired a dog backpack, which was a hit once we were able to get her in it: