Music talk Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by IMADreamer »

Smith Corks One wrote:
May 12 21, 10:22 am
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
May 11 21, 10:44 am
It may just be me but 90's grunge music has not aged well.

I no longer enjoy most of it outside of Soundgarden.
Still love me some Alice in Chains.
I do as well. I don't listen to Nirvana or Pearl Jam though. They just don't do it for me any more. Possibly because classic rock radio has Pearl Jam shoved up their asses right now.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Really liking Nathaniel Rateliff album - And it's Still Alright. (snuck by in the pandemic) More acoustic Americana style - I like better than the Nightsweats stuff.

Also - I had concert tickets gift - the Pagaent for a cancelled DBT show - i see they are back here in October. wonder if tix are still good? wonder if my wife can find them in email?

Also pondering whether I should just buy them anew to support the cause. but I was supporting musicians a bit, bought about a dozen stream shows over a year.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Freed Roger wrote:
May 26 21, 10:09 am
Really liking Nathaniel Rateliff album - And it's Still Alright. (snuck by in the pandemic) More acoustic Americana style - I like better than the Nightsweats stuff.
He's really great. My introduction to him was the SOB song which was fun but kind of kitschy and leaning so hard on throwbackiness genre you don't know what to make of it. Turns out he's totally legit. Great album. Time Stands is beautiful. I had a similar experience with Leon Bridges--I didn't give him nearly enough credit because I thought he was just trying too hard to be Sam Cook.

On a somewhat related note, one thing that's changed about music is that seemingly-novelty artists stick around.

Like Doja Cat, the girl that did that I'm a cow, moo thing. She's on top of the charts these days.

And Lil Nas X had one-hit wonder written all over him with Old Town Road, but he's managed to still be relevant. Some people trying to be provocative are just uninspired, desperate bozos--like Marilyn Manson. Nas is at least interesting, IMO (though I haven't cared for any of the music).

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Been on a metal kick recently, having discovered St Louis has a pretty decent doom metal band of their very own, Fister. Then, going through my unlistened albums the other day, I heard The Body, an incredible band (listed on Wikipedia as experimental metal, and that tag serves them well). Just listening to their self-titled debut and it's absolutely top drawer, incredibly powerful and interesting, and I highly recommend checking them out if you're in the mood.

SunnyJim
Veteran Player

Post by SunnyJim »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
June 4 21, 4:00 pm
Been on a metal kick recently, having discovered St Louis has a pretty decent doom metal band of their very own, Fister. Then, going through my unlistened albums the other day, I heard The Body, an incredible band (listed on Wikipedia as experimental metal, and that tag serves them well). Just listening to their self-titled debut and it's absolutely top drawer, incredibly powerful and interesting, and I highly recommend checking them out if you're in the mood.
Thought you might appreciate this:

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Another new Chvrches song. This one features Robert Smith (The Cure):

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

SunnyJim wrote:
June 8 21, 3:42 pm

Thought you might appreciate this:
Coincidentally, I was playing The Damned's version of "Nasty" from the Young Ones the other day.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

This is wonderful

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
June 16 21, 11:47 am
This is wonderful

That is perfect.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

We went to a car event today. Local thing and they had a live band. It was a bunch of high school kids. Honestly they sucked.........and then they played Van Halen "Eruption/you really got me" and if you closed your eyes they could have been Van Halen. Not even kidding, I actually looked because I assumed it was a completely different band. Been a long time since I was blown a way by some local no name band. For one song they did that. As soon as that was over they went back to suckatude.