Music talk Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I enjoyed this trip into the weeds on Johnny Cash's Hurt. One thing I never appreciated, the messiness of the guitar playing (by Mike Campbell, a true master) and production, matches the message of the song overlaying Cash himself in a beautiful way.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Watched JoJo Rabbit on a tip (thanks @vinsanity!) and was knocked over by this song. I'm actually, literally mad that it took me this long in life to ever hear this song.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

heyzeus wrote:
January 19 23, 2:53 pm
Watched JoJo Rabbit on a tip (thanks @vinsanity!) and was knocked over by this song. I'm actually, literally mad that it took me this long in life to ever hear this song.

i learned about Love after hearing "Always See Your Face" on a VW ad a few years ago, then went down a rabbit hole and wound up picking up their album Forever Changes.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

heyzeus wrote:
I had this same experience. Thank God for Shazam.

I wonder if the band name led to my ignorance of the group and song before Jojo. I definitely think so.

Between Shazam and more especially Spotify (with apologies to artists), I really am living in a fantasy world.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

sighyoung wrote:
January 19 23, 3:41 pm
heyzeus wrote:

i learned about Love after hearing "Always See Your Face" on a VW ad a few years ago, then went down a rabbit hole and wound up picking up their album Forever Changes.
That's a great song! I didn't realize it at the time, but I have already heard songs by Love because they appear in the High Fidelity soundtrack. One of them, Little Red Book, is a Burt Bacharach cover that apparently he hated because they changed the keys, which just makes me love it more.
Then their song "7 and 7 is" has a legit claim to inspiring punk. It's been covered by a ton of punk bands, particularly the Ramones. Hugely influential stuff, particularly in Arthur Lee's vocal delivery and the wild drumming He's quite the story. Grew up in South Central LA, became a folky, but was also into psych rock, surf, and mariachi music, and jammed and recorded with Jimi Hendrix.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Further down the Devo rabbit hole I discovered their 2010 album "Something for Everybody". What a pleasant surprise. Every song is ear candy. This album is more 80s than some of their albums from the actual 80s. A few highlights, but the entire thing is fun and good and worth a listen IMO.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I love this song and this version of it. I have been learning it on guitar as well.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
January 23 23, 10:42 am
I love this song and this version of it. I have been learning it on guitar as well.
That album is excellent. Sad and wise. At the time I was only familiar with him from that SOB song, which is he neat but kind of kitschy. He’s a really talented songwriter, and the voice of course is amazing.

Time Stands was another standout.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I was wondering why the trendier streets in Portland were covered in ejaculate. Turns out Neutral Milk Hotel is releasing their entire catalog plus a bunch of rarities in a box set… wait for it… on vinyl.

Make no mistake, I’m a big fan. This just feels like the perfect storm. If Wes Anderson designs the disc sleeves, I don’t think the loins of the fully realized good/important music fan will ever heal.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
February 6 23, 12:42 pm
I was wondering why the trendier streets in Portland were covered in ejaculate. Turns out Neutral Milk Hotel is releasing their entire catalog plus a bunch of rarities in a box set… wait for it… on vinyl.

Make no mistake, I’m a big fan. This just feels like the perfect storm. If Wes Anderson designs the disc sleeves, I don’t think the loins of the fully realized good/important music fan will ever heal.
Their entire catalog is...two albums? Right? Only one of which is really good. i think I'm set!