Music talk Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by TimeForGuinness »

ghostrunner wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:If you aren't going to Fleet Foxes at the Pageant, Black Francis is playing at the Old Rock House that same night.

I'm seeing Fleet Foxes, but would rather catch Black Francis.
Wonder why he's going by Black Francis again?
Yeah, I dunno...I'd love to see him. Too bad it's on the same night as FF.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

At the end of "A Day in The Life", after the big E major to end it and before the gobbledy-gook stuff, Paul placed a tone that is apparently inaudible to humans. He put it there for his dog. Knowing it's there drives me absolutely crazy because I subconsciously think I hear it, but it's not even possible. That's a top 3 song for me, but I'm kinda pissed at Paul for that.

Swingingbunt
All-Star

Post by Swingingbunt »

Tambourine Man wrote:At the end of "A Day in The Life", after the big E major to end it and before the gobbledy-gook stuff, Paul placed a tone that is apparently inaudible to humans. He put it there for his dog. Knowing it's there drives me absolutely crazy because I subconsciously think I hear it, but it's not even possible. That's a top 3 song for me, but I'm kinda pissed at Paul for that.
Now I need to go listen to this song to see if I can hear it...even though I know I can't. Thanks, dick. :)

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

Swingingbunt wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:At the end of "A Day in The Life", after the big E major to end it and before the gobbledy-gook stuff, Paul placed a tone that is apparently inaudible to humans. He put it there for his dog. Knowing it's there drives me absolutely crazy because I subconsciously think I hear it, but it's not even possible. That's a top 3 song for me, but I'm kinda pissed at Paul for that.
Now I need to go listen to this song to see if I can hear it...even though I know I can't. Thanks, dick. :)
LOL, I'm trying to find out if we can hear it, but IIRC we shouldn't be able to. I may have to dig out my McCartney biography because I'm sure that's where I read it. I'm listening again with headphones and swear it's there.

Swingingbunt
All-Star

Post by Swingingbunt »

Tambourine Man wrote:LOL, I'm trying to find out if we can hear it, but IIRC we shouldn't be able to. I may have to dig out my McCartney biography because I'm sure that's where I read it. I'm listening again with headphones and swear it's there.
I can't hear it without headphones for sure...and my good ones are at school. Of course, my ears aren't at their best after two summers spent around 120-125 decibels of brass playing for 6 to 8 hours per day.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

I may bust out Audacity and edit that part of the song out. [expletive] you and your damn dog, Paul. I hope your dog gets thrown off Rainbow Bridge by a bear.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

Okay, Swinging, after a bit of research I've found that it's a 15khz tone and is audible. I can barely make it out but it's there. I cannot hear 17khz.

Check this out.

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can ... ring-test/

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

I think that tone and the inner groove chatter was only available on certain foreign LP pressings. I think they also put it on the CDs and the tone was definitely audible. And it might have been John's idea.

Going to the North Coast Music festival in Chicago in September and Of Montreal is performing there so I've been listening to them a lot lately. I prefer the early stuff, of which they'll probably play none.

Also downloaded the complete Shaggs discography, which is bizarre and unsettling.
[/youtube]

Adrian Wapcaplet
All-Star

Post by Adrian Wapcaplet »

Gotta love the Shaggs. There was talk of a movie about them, but to my knowledge it was never made.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

Richie Allen wrote:I think that tone and the inner groove chatter was only available on certain foreign LP pressings. I think they also put it on the CDs and the tone was definitely audible. And it might have been John's idea.
I'm listening to the CD version @ 256 kbps and it's there. Good to know I'm not that crazy.

The Shaggs? I need to explore their discography a bit now.