This neighbor complaint is a new one on me.

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: This neighbor complaint is a new one on me.

Post by IMADreamer »

HOAs are weird. My little community has been trying to get an official agreement for years and myself and one other neighbor refuse to sign up. At one point they tried to write some official note from a lawyer saying if everyone else voted for it we would be signed up no matter what. My lawyer wrote back a letter that basically said "lol [expletive] off." According to the couple families pushing it, it will increase property values, but we already live on the outside of town, where it is peaceful and quiet. On a lake, and everyone keeps their houses immaculate and well landscaped. I just don't see the point. Not to mention the way it's all set up you can't really see each others homes except in the winter when the trees are bare.

I'm not opposed to the idea on the surface, some ground rules for everyone is probably ok. We are all good neighbors now but down the road who knows who moves in. However I know it just doesn't stop at a few ground rules. They want things like no cars parked outside at night, or if you build a new shed or garage it has to match the aesthetic of the neighborhood, whatever that is. Judging by the main instigators that's tacky lighthouses and matching Hawaiian shirts. I'll pass.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Re: This neighbor complaint is a new one on me.

Post by mikechamp »

IMADreamer wrote:
June 24 20, 3:47 pm
HOAs are weird. My little community has been trying to get an official agreement for years and myself and one other neighbor refuse to sign up. At one point they tried to write some official note from a lawyer saying if everyone else voted for it we would be signed up no matter what. My lawyer wrote back a letter that basically said "lol [expletive] off." According to the couple families pushing it, it will increase property values, but we already live on the outside of town, where it is peaceful and quiet. On a lake, and everyone keeps their houses immaculate and well landscaped. I just don't see the point. Not to mention the way it's all set up you can't really see each others homes except in the winter when the trees are bare.

I'm not opposed to the idea on the surface, some ground rules for everyone is probably ok. We are all good neighbors now but down the road who knows who moves in. However I know it just doesn't stop at a few ground rules. They want things like no cars parked outside at night, or if you build a new shed or garage it has to match the aesthetic of the neighborhood, whatever that is. Judging by the main instigators that's tacky lighthouses and matching Hawaiian shirts. I'll pass.
Fight the power, man. And if you're feeling the pressure at any point, re-read your last 4 sentences.

And don't forget that you'd probably also get to fork over an annual fee for this added joy in your life. Wouldn't that be "teh best"?