Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Post by thrill »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
January 25 21, 9:20 am
Dang, NBCSN covered a lot of hockey.
Just add Peacock to your ever-expanding list of streaming subscriptions that have almost certainly exceeded the amount you used to spend on cable! Easy peasy.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

thrill wrote:
January 25 21, 9:29 am
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Just add Peacock to your ever-expanding list of streaming subscriptions that have almost certainly exceeded the amount you used to spend on cable! Easy peasy.
Truth

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

tlombard wrote:
January 25 21, 11:54 pm
thrill wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Truth

People really didn’t think this was going to work out in the consumers favor did they?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

cardinalkarp wrote:
January 26 21, 11:46 am
tlombard wrote:
January 25 21, 11:54 pm
thrill wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Truth

People really didn’t think this was going to work out in the consumers favor did they?
plus, now the WWE network is essentially shutting down and being merged into peacock...so now WWE network accounts will become peacock accounts because the larger corporation bought out the "smaller" corporation. granted, i dont have WWE network so who cares... but if i did i'd have concerns.

people thought that there would be a media reckoning, changing the landscape forever! hundreds of streaming options for all the niche parts of media that not everyone likes! and people would be able to just grab what they like and have a few subscriptions, think of all that consumer power and choice! but, like *everything*, it's going to be, a handful of media conglomerates that own everything. plus, most of these services still have ads so what is one even gaining compared to standard television, etc.

stuff like this always makes me laugh... it's this "oh, competition is good! free market!" crap that business people espouse but as soon as they can gobble up a market they will do it and not think twice on the hypocrisy.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

It is almost to the point where I can just cancel every one of my streaming subscriptions (feels like I have 100 of them) and spend that money at the bar every night to have a couple of drinks and watch the games.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i got email in the middle of the night from netflix saying they're increasing fee $1

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I have a friend who has been hoarding and ripping physical media to a media server by buying discount DVD's and blu rays for a decade+ and now has a streaming library that is legitimately impressive. Weird hobby, but pretty funny to see how it's paid off in these streaming wars. My man doesn't care where the office or friends end up. He doesn't even like friends but bought it just to have in his streaming service.

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

thrill wrote:
January 29 21, 8:09 am
I have a friend who has been hoarding and ripping physical media to a media server by buying discount DVD's and blu rays for a decade+ and now has a streaming library that is legitimately impressive. Weird hobby, but pretty funny to see how it's paid off in these streaming wars. My man doesn't care where the office or friends end up. He doesn't even like friends but bought it just to have in his streaming service.
I don't have a server but I share your friend's penchant for buying physical media when it's things I like enough that I don't want to worry about where it's streaming.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

ndistops wrote:
January 29 21, 9:55 am
thrill wrote:
January 29 21, 8:09 am
I don't have a server but I share your friend's penchant for buying physical media when it's things I like enough that I don't want to worry about where it's streaming.
His setup is very slick and, I think, free. I can access any of his stuff via mobile app and airplay it to my apple TV or firestick.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

fwiw
On January 3, 2021, it was announced that Roku is in advanced talks to acquire rights to Quibi's library.[46] On January 8, 2021, Roku officially announced that all of Quibi's 75 programs would be streamed on their platform on free ad-supported channels.[5][6] Roku acquired the content from Quibi for an amount less than $100 million.[47]