Best Damned Health Care Anywhere!

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Best Damned Health Care Anywhere!

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Hospitals hire debt collectors to work emergency rooms demanding payment before treatment.
The tactics, like embedding debt collectors as employees in emergency rooms and demanding that patients pay before receiving treatment, were outlined in hundreds of company documents released by the [Minnesota] attorney general. And they cast a spotlight on the increasingly desperate strategies among hospitals to recoup payments as their unpaid debts mount.

To patients, the debt collectors may look indistinguishable from hospital employees, may demand they pay outstanding bills and may discourage them from seeking emergency care at all, even using scripts like those in collection boiler rooms, according to the documents and employees interviewed by The New York Times.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Re: Best Damned Health Care Anywhere!

Post by Hungary Jack »

If you cannot pay the bill you have no business getting sick or in an accident.

Personal responsibility, people.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

I think the front desk of the ER is the best place to put in that death panel we were promised.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I know you all joke about it, but without insurance, it's what like $3-4K to see an ER doctor for something minor like stitches. And it only goes up from there. In all honesty, how do they expect people to afford that? A family of 4 that has to go once/twice a year living on $60k wo insurance would go bankrupt if they had to pay that.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I know you all joke about it, but without insurance, it's what like $3-4K to see an ER doctor for something minor like stitches. And it only goes up from there. In all honesty, how do they expect people to afford that? A family of 4 that has to go once/twice a year living on $60k wo insurance would go bankrupt if they had to pay that.
Short answer? They don't.

Long answer? Social darwinism. If you weren't smart enough to be born wealthy, you'll die off and leave the smart people to create jobs.

IN all seriousness, I was just having this conversation. Maybe someone who opposes UHC (not Obamacare, single payer-Canada-style-care) can enlighten me, but why is it ok for us to have police and firemen to protect us and not health care? Isn't the argument against Obamacare there's no 'choice' to opt out? If you're born a citizen you'd be forced to buy health care? How is that different than say, being hit by a driver and taken in an ambulance to an ER for treatment and being forced to fork over the $100k to pay for it?

And I ask this seriously and genuinely. I understand why the individual health care mandate is concerning and different from say auto-insurance mandates, but I'm very curious to hear why health care should be privatized and not a public system.

If my house gets struck by lightening and caught on fire, it's ok for the government to fund a program to stop that fire. If I get struck by lightening and caught on fire, it's not ok for them to fund a program to save my life - literally and financially?

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

vinsanity wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I know you all joke about it, but without insurance, it's what like $3-4K to see an ER doctor for something minor like stitches. And it only goes up from there. In all honesty, how do they expect people to afford that? A family of 4 that has to go once/twice a year living on $60k wo insurance would go bankrupt if they had to pay that.
Short answer? They don't.

Long answer? Social darwinism. If you weren't smart enough to be born wealthy, you'll die off and leave the smart people to create jobs.

IN all seriousness, I was just having this conversation. Maybe someone who opposes UHC (not Obamacare, single payer-Canada-style-care) can enlighten me, but why is it ok for us to have police and firemen to protect us and not health care? Isn't the argument against Obamacare there's no 'choice' to opt out? If you're born a citizen you'd be forced to buy health care? How is that different than say, being hit by a driver and taken in an ambulance to an ER for treatment and being forced to fork over the $100k to pay for it?

And I ask this seriously and genuinely. I understand why the individual health care mandate is concerning and different from say auto-insurance mandates, but I'm very curious to hear why health care should be privatized and not a public system.

If my house gets struck by lightening and caught on fire, it's ok for the government to fund a program to stop that fire. If I get struck by lightening and caught on fire, it's not ok for them to fund a program to save my life - literally and financially?
The situations are a little different. Your house catches on fire and the rest of us are at risk of that fire spreading. You catch on fire and I'm sure the fire department would be more than happy to hose you down to prevent you from spreading a fire and risking collateral damage.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

We're already paying for universal healthcare; we're simply doing it in the most expensive, inefficient, financially destructive and medically risky way imaginable. If you show up to the ER bleeding/stroking/cancering, you'll get treated. The bill will be 5 or 6 figures. Much much higher than the cost of preventative health care that could have helped prevent your stroke/heart attack/diabetes/cancer.

Your choices are: Pay, and your entire family is financially ruined. Not pay, and your life enters debt collector hell, maybe file for bankruptcy at some point, and maybe never get a house or good job again. Oh, and every other person who receives health care (ie, all of us) ultimately foot the bill in terms of higher costs.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

cards2468 wrote:The situations are a little different. Your house catches on fire and the rest of us are at risk of that fire spreading. You catch on fire and I'm sure the fire department would be more than happy to hose you down to prevent you from spreading a fire and risking collateral damage.
There are houses on their own plots were fire would have no risk of spreading, that would still be saved by a FD.

If a guy shoots me in the leg to steal my wallet, it's ok for the government to fund a program to find the guy and return my wallet but it's not ok for them to fund a program to pay for my treatment of the wound and rehab?

I guess I'm just not sure why fire, police and education are considered necessary to a productive society/country, but if you get sick you get to pay through the nose for it.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

heyzeus wrote:We're already paying for universal healthcare; we're simply doing it in the most expensive, inefficient, financially destructive and medically risky way imaginable. If you show up to the ER bleeding/stroking/cancering, you'll get treated. The bill will be 5 or 6 figures. Much much higher than the cost of preventative health care that could have helped prevent your stroke/heart attack/diabetes/cancer.

Your choices are: Pay, and your entire family is financially ruined. Not pay, and your life enters debt collector hell, maybe file for bankruptcy at some point, and maybe never get a house or good job again. Oh, and every other person who receives health care (ie, all of us) ultimately foot the bill in terms of higher costs.
This is pretty much the reason even as a fiscal conservative that I would like to see some plans put together for how we could make UHC work.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

vinsanity wrote:
cards2468 wrote:The situations are a little different. Your house catches on fire and the rest of us are at risk of that fire spreading. You catch on fire and I'm sure the fire department would be more than happy to hose you down to prevent you from spreading a fire and risking collateral damage.
There are houses on their own plots were fire would have no risk of spreading, that would still be saved by a FD.

If a guy shoots me in the leg to steal my wallet, it's ok for the government to fund a program to find the guy and return my wallet but it's not ok for them to fund a program to pay for my treatment of the wound and rehab?

I guess I'm just not sure why fire, police and education are considered necessary to a productive society/country, but if you get sick you get to pay through the nose for it.
We also pay for the roads we drive on to get to the hospital. But there is profit to be made in medicine; that is why it isn't taken care of by the Feds.