Podcasts

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Podcasts

Post by IMADreamer »

Smith Corks One wrote:
August 27 19, 7:32 pm
Just discovered Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - holy [expletive], dude does some deep dives on major historical events. Started with Blueprint for Armageddon, which is about WWI. 6-part series, and each part is between 3 and 4 hours long. Very detailed and entertaining.
Hardcore history is one of my favorites.

I just started listening to "it could happen here" which is about how America could descend into civil war. It's fascinating.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

"Out Alive" by Backpacker. Half hour or so stories of woe in the wild. Man, the one with dude surviving several days with leg compound broke thru the skin. Whoa [expletive]

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

The Three Questions with Andy Richter is great.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

yeah i need to start listening to it

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

conan on Andy's podcast so you know i gotta post it

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/c ... 0474312748

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I hesitate to even recommend this because it's so weird, but it's pretty popular apparently.

https://www.sleepwithmepodcast.com/

The whole point is to help you fall asleep. I have trouble some nights - mostly thinking about some political or personal issue, or some creative thing I'll probably never do anything with. It gets pretty bad. Sometimes the creative stuff is good and fun to think about but I can end up getting 4 hours of sleep on a bad night. My wife snores so that also contributes.

Anyway, the podcast is this guy who just rambles for an hour every episode. He switches up the subject matter. Some are about tv episodes - he's gone through The Good Place, Star Trek TNG, Game of Thrones. Some are running stories he makes up and pretends to be different characters. The trick though is that he never pursues any line of thought or conversation to completion. He chases down whatever comes into his head for a short way and then diverts to something else. You don't get caught up thinking about what's happened or what might happen because it's never going anywhere. Lots of stumbling over his words and "uhhs" too.

This combined with his voice - he describes it as "creaky dulcet tones" - probably annoys some people, but for me it works incredibly well. I've probably never stayed awake more than 20 minutes into an episode.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Breaking the three year morotorium.

Some of my podcasts have gotten tired. Others blew up spectacularly (Reply All). I should be more empathetic, but I'm tired of comedians talking about their mental health problems and totally phoning in podcasts. However, these things I've been listening to for years can be a good level of unessential distraction when I need something more than music at work. Famous people jerking each other off has also gotten old.

Lately I've been drawn to the higher productuon quality shows. People at NPR or NYt are just better at telling stories. New shows to me like Hard Fork or classics like Planet Money. But I bet there's people doing interesting and creative things with lower budgets and less bona fides.

I don't do social media so I probably miss some of the buzz. What are you guys listening to these days?

Other shows I recommend: Story of the Week, The One You Feed is good but hit or miss. Plain English is a good show, like a less heady Ezra Klein.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I want to redo the above verbose post thusly:

What podcasts are you listening to these days?

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

ghostrunner wrote:
May 20 20, 12:54 pm
I hesitate to even recommend this because it's so weird, but it's pretty popular apparently.

https://www.sleepwithmepodcast.com/

The whole point is to help you fall asleep. I have trouble some nights - mostly thinking about some political or personal issue, or some creative thing I'll probably never do anything with. It gets pretty bad. Sometimes the creative stuff is good and fun to think about but I can end up getting 4 hours of sleep on a bad night. My wife snores so that also contributes.

Anyway, the podcast is this guy who just rambles for an hour every episode. He switches up the subject matter. Some are about tv episodes - he's gone through The Good Place, Star Trek TNG, Game of Thrones. Some are running stories he makes up and pretends to be different characters. The trick though is that he never pursues any line of thought or conversation to completion. He chases down whatever comes into his head for a short way and then diverts to something else. You don't get caught up thinking about what's happened or what might happen because it's never going anywhere. Lots of stumbling over his words and "uhhs" too.

This combined with his voice - he describes it as "creaky dulcet tones" - probably annoys some people, but for me it works incredibly well. I've probably never stayed awake more than 20 minutes into an episode.
Just saw this post. But I also highly recommend Sleep With Me. I never used to have this problem but around the start of the pandemic I found that I would drift off to sleep but then wake back up and as soon as I did my mind would start racing. A friend of mine recommended this and I've been a nightly listener ever since. I even support him on Patreon.