Podcasts

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Podcasts

Post by GeddyWrox »

It's more of a mini-series in podcost form, but Ultra by Rachel Maddow is FASCINATING.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

The podcast form of 1619 Project was riveting, too.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Don't know if I have posted it anywhere before but Michael Rosenbaum has a podcast called Inside of You (hot) which I have enjoyed from time to time; he frequently has guests that I am interested in.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I don't know if any of you were Dave Glover Fans or not but his show is now available on podcast. It's nice now that he's off 97.1 you can tell they aren't forcing politics on him and it seems more like the show was 10 years ago. It is laugh out loud funning often for me.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

IMADreamer wrote:
May 25 23, 8:11 pm
I don't know if any of you were Dave Glover Fans or not but his show is now available on podcast. It's nice now that he's off 97.1 you can tell they aren't forcing politics on him and it seems more like the show was 10 years ago. It is laugh out loud funning often for me.
I did listen to that some back in the day. I haven't dared venture onto 97.1 in probably 8-10 years though.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I used Stitcher as my podcast app. I just liked the interface best. I’m trying to replace it now. So far my favorite is (groan, this is like ordering a meal at Denny’s) “Podurama” and I’ve tried several. But I’m finding all the third party apps really whack my iPhone battery. Overcast was the worst. What app are you using? any battery thoughts?

Apple Podcasts blows, but I may take it up.

PJ Vogt, who effed up and ended the marvelous Reply All*, has a new show called Search Engine. Real good.

*’The Case of the missing hit’ is about as good an episode of podcasting as I think you’ll ever hear.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

The thing about submitting to apple's stuff is that once you stop searching for better alternatives, you stop thinking about how it sucks and just get used to using it. Once you get used to using it, everything is fine & easy.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I use PodcastAddict on my Android phone, and it's great.

I blow hot and cold on podcasts. Like, I had the best part of a decade listening to "Uhh Yeah Dude", then around episode 970 I just realised that I wasn't enjoying it any more, and it was only habit that kept it on my app. They'd gone from partying young men to rather tedious sober middle-aged ones, with one guy talking about guns and living in the desert, the other happy in a long-term relationship...perhaps Covid ruined them.

I listen to lots of Australian comedy podcasts, and a fairly famous TV comic who also does tons of audio...another one that when I actually listened to the shows rather than just having them on while cleaning the house or whatever, realised that he and I would probably get in a fight if we were ever at the same table. Endless dog-whistles about all the hot-button topics, "ohh, this'll get me cancelled" for some garbage non-joke, and I get the sense he's a pretty hateful individual who can just about keep it together for his TV jobs but would quickly turn into the standard right-wing anti-feminist / transphobe if he didn't have to worry about those things.

But there's still "If Books Could Kill", "Who Knew It With Matt Stewart", my friends and their Elvis podcast, "Sports Bizarre"...I'm not short of stuff.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Cancel culture is mostly stupid, even though (at least where it’s not reactionary ragesterbation) its heart is (was?) sort of in the right place.

But I’ve heard plenty of similar voices. It really seems to me (anecdotally and accounting for my bubbles) like cancel culture is fading. I think many of these people are going to hate the end of cancel culture more than cancel culture itself. They’re going to lose their whole bit, and they don’t get to be an irony-blind victim of hating victimhood anymore. It’s all also ragesterbation.

If these guys feel like they have to work on the edges of decency maybe they’re lazy or suck. Anyway, plenty of people are finding clever ways to dance around the line.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
September 19 23, 11:37 am
PJ Vogt, who effed up and ended the marvelous Reply All*,
He really did in that he betrayed his colleagues.

The actual Test Kitchen episodes that got released before the blow up are an incredible time capsule and microcosm of professional class liberalism in the high Trump era. Everything is on display there in exceptional form.