Legalizing marijuana

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

If marijuana was legalized, would you be more likely to use?

Yes
31%
No
47%
I already do
22%

Total votes: 68

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: Legalizing marijuana

Post by 33anda3rd »

Freed Roger wrote:I wonder why more dispensaries couldn't get open in Metro East considering the large population.
Border politics, likely. If the MO/IL border area was full of IL dispensaries taking revenue on legal weed from the prison and police system in MO, the MO state police would have plenty of reasons to stop motorists as they pass back along the border and at that point it's just way easier for MO residents to call their weed guy like they have for years.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Michael wrote:I was going to buy some stuff this week but the lines were even more crazy then I had expected and it appears the dispensary closest to me has run out product for rec users. Oh well. Maybe next week.
I drove down to Ottawa (about 45 min from me) on Friday afternoon. I waited in line for about 30 minutes. I was surprised at the procedure. They give you a list and you order like you're ordering sushi. There is no product on display. You give them your order and they bring it to you at the register. Apparently this is new as a girl I know who has her med card says it wasn't like that before. Anyway, I got two 1/8s for $60 ea and a 250mg vape pen for $33. Got my buddy 10 hard candies for $33. I'm very happy with the quality.

When I asked the guy who was handing out the order sheets to the line how he was doing, he said "pretty good, just selling some weed". :lol:

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

33anda3rd wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:I wonder why more dispensaries couldn't get open in Metro East considering the large population.
Border politics, likely. If the MO/IL border area was full of IL dispensaries taking revenue on legal weed from the prison and police system in MO, the MO state police would have plenty of reasons to stop motorists as they pass back along the border and at that point it's just way easier for MO residents to call their weed guy like they have for years.
Someone from MO interviewed in an IL line said this was way better than going to a dealer guy, because dealers here also dealing meth etc. Not sure if this common, I've never been to one. I suspect with cell phones, deals for weed became easier, more suburban

Dealers I am most informed about are the ones that ply the teenagers. There its juul products, weed, booze (Loco).

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
Michael wrote:I was going to buy some stuff this week but the lines were even more crazy then I had expected and it appears the dispensary closest to me has run out product for rec users. Oh well. Maybe next week.
I drove down to Ottawa (about 45 min from me) on Friday afternoon. I waited in line for about 30 minutes. I was surprised at the procedure. They give you a list and you order like you're ordering sushi. There is no product on display. You give them your order and they bring it to you at the register. Apparently this is new as a girl I know who has her med card says it wasn't like that before. Anyway, I got two 1/8s for $60 ea and a 250mg vape pen for $33. Got my buddy 10 hard candies for $33. I'm very happy with the quality.

When I asked the guy who was handing out the order sheets to the line how he was doing, he said "pretty good, just selling some weed". :lol:
The one in Collinsville is doing it that way too (or maybe it was Quincy), with the order sheets. I believe they also had an orientation tent you passed thru, to explain legalities and give info on variety of products (edibles -watch out).

These aren't dumb people selling weed legally, at least this first wave. They had to jump thru a lot of hoops to get to this point. They also probably had connections and $ and pivotal role in getting this on the ballot and to fruition.

In MO, it sounds like the same forces lining up to get it rec legal. Lots of money involved.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Freed Roger wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:

The one in Collinsville is doing it that way too (or maybe it was Quincy), with the order sheets. I believe they also had an orientation tent you passed thru, to explain legalities and give info on variety of products (edibles -watch out).

These aren't dumb people selling weed legally, at least this first wave. They had to jump thru a lot of hoops to get to this point. They also probably had connections and $ and pivotal role in getting this on the ballot and to fruition.

In MO, it sounds like the same forces lining up to get it rec legal. Lots of money involved.
Plus anyone granted a license so far was already a medical provider, so I'm sure they're very experienced with people new to the product.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Sunnyside is one of the few north side Chicago dispensaries with some product. I was in the area so I popped over to see what the wait was. The line was 4 hours long. Nope.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Michael wrote:Sunnyside is one of the few north side Chicago dispensaries with some product. I was in the area so I popped over to see what the wait was. The line was 4 hours long. Nope.
93 new licenses coming in May. But leave it to Illinois to screw this up. Many who had a chance to buy legal were turned off by the lines. I can only imagine they are thinking "why wouldn't I just keep buying from my guy?" Lost opportunity.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

For me nothing really changes. I'm sure the lines will die down in a week or two, and I suspect the prices will eventually drop as well. I'm glad it's off to such a strong start. I can wait.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I also haven't gone because of the lines.

It's bizarre to me that they didn't foresee massive demand or maybe they did and just didn't prepare for it. Either way I'm waiting out the rush.

None of the dispensaries in my area have their menus on weed maps or leafly, which is lame as hell. I want to order online and just pick up in the store, or better yet, have it delivered like in the civilized/sophisticated weed states out west.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Oregon sales went full-on rec in 10/2015, and according to Bottonfield the market is oversaturated already. The few i visited there - just a clerk and me, maybe one other customer. The stores don't require a lot of frontage, the inventory of joints, edibles etc doesnt take hardly any space.

Not sure how WA is different. I crossed over there and the store I saw was kind of like a fort, had fencing to enter. Maybe they cultivate some on the grounds, which I am guessing requires the containment.

i suspect the state regs will have a say. In IL i understand , has a gradual roll-out of licenses.

It will happen in MO, just depends on how the $$$ situation vs the MO politicians beholden to right wing whatever you call ems that fear weed.
Money will win.