The Car Discussion Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by tlombard »

I definitely did not see that one coming. What has made everything so much worse is the lock down because of the virus. When I talked to my other cousin yesterday she was justifiably mad at the world because she couldn't be at the hospital with her sister and nephew through all of this. Her and her husband literally spent all of last weekend in the hospital parking lot because they weren't allowed in the hospital but wanted to be there in case they could help with anything at all. Even then, his own parents weren't even allowed to stay with him the entire time and their visits were limited.

At this point my concern is all for that side of the family. I'm finishing up a couple of little things with work right now and then I'm heading down to pick up Elijah's older brother (22) to take him to lunch, get a drink... just anything I can think of to help him through.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

What a horrible tragedy. My condolences to your family.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Please accept my condolences, too. That's really kind of you to reach out to Elijah's brother. I feel broken up just reading about it.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

That's terrible to hear. Maybe with all the technology being introduced down the road we won't have to deal with these types of accidents any more. We can only hope.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Sorry to hear.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I spent Friday afternoon with him and have been talking to him and the family since. They aren't doing great but are doing the best they can and there will be a memorial service for him in the hopefully not to distant future when things settle down a bit more. Still doesn't seem real.

Back to work today for me though!

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

There’s not a ton of demand for rental cars right now, and the impact on that industry is starting to show: Hertz, which also runs Dollar and Thrifty, filed for bankruptcy last week.

Even rental agencies that are in better financial situations are still planning for worst-case scenarios by dramatically cutting back on the number of new cars they plan to buy this year.

Their misfortune could mean big bargains for you as rental companies start to unload their fleets to free up cash.
https://twocents.lifehacker.com/get-rea ... 1843677823

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I know a guy who is a manager at Enterprise HQ. He said their lowest point was 30% occupancy, meaning 70% of their cars were gathering dust.

They missed out completely on spring break season. They're hoping for decent summer rental volume. I didn't want to say it to him, but unless they're renting RVs, I don't see this summer being very good for them, either.

For those who care about St. Louis, the Taylor family really stepped into the philanthropic void left by the sale of A-B. I hope, with their commitment to an MLS franchise and other community endeavors, they don't face the hard times that Hertz is going through.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

mikechamp wrote:
May 27 20, 11:05 am
I know a guy who is a manager at Enterprise HQ. He said their lowest point was 30% occupancy, meaning 70% of their cars were gathering dust.

They missed out completely on spring break season. They're hoping for decent summer rental volume. I didn't want to say it to him, but unless they're renting RVs, I don't see this summer being very good for them, either.

For those who care about St. Louis, the Taylor family really stepped into the philanthropic void left by the sale of A-B. I hope, with their commitment to an MLS franchise and other community endeavors, they don't face the hard times that Hertz is going through.
I just hope Hertz makes it until mid-August, because I rented a car for 2 weeks and it was prepaid

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I kinda want a rad dad hot hatch like the Volkswagen Golf R. I totally love hatchbacks but I've never owned one. I'm not even a car guy, but you know being stuck inside makes you crave weird things. It's supposed to be pretty fun to drive.