The Car Discussion Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by tlombard »

ThatGuy wrote:
tlombard wrote:Then her parents laughed at her and made fun of her the rest of the night.
I feel like the best parenting stories should end like this.
I agree. As long as it isn't mean spirited, parents should absolutely make fun of their kids any chance they get. It's good for their development and transition into the real world where you are going to be the butt of many jokes for the rest of your life!

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Can anyone else spot the potential problem with this vehicle?

Hint: No, it's not the neons.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/subaru-f ... 00530.html

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

mikechamp wrote:Can anyone else spot the potential problem with this vehicle?

All your stuff will fly out the open liftgate and you'll crash into things because the hood's open.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

redbirdjazzz wrote:
mikechamp wrote:Can anyone else spot the potential problem with this vehicle?

All your stuff will fly out the open liftgate and you'll crash into things because the hood's open.
Yes!!

:thumb:

Also,
[SHOW]
It's name is an expletive.

Indu WangZi
Everyday Player

Post by Indu WangZi »

The F U C K mobile...nice.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Driving a dealer loaner while car is in shop for recall work over the weekend- pretty nice Subaru Ascent.

After a while, I noticed it has a lane adjustment feature at highway speeds - when veering to edge of a lane before or without a signal -it will nudge the steering back. Was really weird. The nudge felt similar to how car can react with a high crosswind. there was some of that gusty crosswind happening yesterday, to make the nudge effect more confusing.

Not a fan. I played around with it a bit to see how it functions.
The auto-nudge won't correct if you veer hard enough, like when intending to change lanes, it beeps at you when you cross lanes unless you signal. I tend to be a guy that signals even when nobody is around, so 99.99% of time I am ok with that warning feature. However, I wouldnt like that warning barking at me if it was the rare occassion I had to jump lanes to avoid something imminent.

The thing that is bothersome with the auto-steering nudge though, when it goes at a time when you want to gently swing out to use the whole lane.

There are plenty of occassions when it is wise to veer over and use entire lane, such as when smoothing for control thru a tight turn, or there is a car on side of the road and left lane is occupied, or some obstruction. Think about when you are stuck between two vehicles, or a semi and one of them is swerving in its lane. ....i'd want to gently give as wide a berth as possible, without having to compensate for that auto-nudge. I would hate to be going I-70 West of Denver, and having the car doing [expletive] I don't want.

I did get a little more used to it today, but I probably still, not a fan. I presume this feature could be turned off. But then drivers can have that problem with being adapted to drive with certain features, then switching to a car that doesn't have them.

Good thing I am a high-skilled driver.

Blue fonted only to make it humble brag.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Anybody want a Vette? They're going fast! As of this writing, there were 5 left.
Hertz just put more than 20 identical yellow 2019 Corvettes up for sale at a steep discount as the company reportedly prepares for a potential bankruptcy

While Hertz attempts to sort out its finances, the folks at Jalopnik recently noticed a slew of black-and-yellow Hertz 2019 Chevrolet Corvette Z06s suddenly appear for sale online. The cars are available on the popular car-buying website Autotrader and on Hertz's own car-sales website. On Wednesday, you could see 19 for sale, down from the "over twenty" that Jalopnik reported on Monday.

A Hertz representative confirmed to Business Insider that these were indeed the Hertz 100th Anniversary Edition Corvettes, among the 100 made exclusively for Hertz in 2018 to celebrate the company's centennial. They were available to rent at airports in Atlanta; Boston; Chicago; Dallas; Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Orlando, Miami, and Tampa, Florida; Las Vegas; Los Angeles; New York; San Diego; and San Francisco.

Each Anniversary Edition Corvette Z06 came with Hertz custom interior badging that had a personalized Hertz centennial plaque and included the car's model number.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hertz-just-p ... 58890.html

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

People, wear your seat belts and put the phones away when you're driving. I don't know for sure in this case if his phone was involved but either way, it isn't worth your life or somebody else's. He was 18 so I'm guessing the phone was involved. Either that or was still tired when he left for work and nodded off.

https://www.myleaderpaper.com/news/acci ... 4ff65.html

This one definitely doesn't have a happy ending as Elijah was taken off of life support at 6pm yesterday and passed quickly. He was my cousin's second oldest child.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Sorry to hear, tlombard.