The Car Discussion Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: 2012 Election Thread (probably contains partisan bickeri

Post by Popeye_Card »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:I don't know if you are picking up what I am laying down. I'm not calling a Camry a crappy car. I'm calling it a boring car.

I'm sorry if that offends Camry drivers.
I'm not even sure what you're saying. What makes a car "boring", specifically?

I kinda agree with AW............. people who think of cars as status symbols are probably lacking some self esteem.
Look at a Camry. That is what makes a car boring, specifically.

This isn't about status symbols. Some people equate cars with personality. Driving a Pontiac Aztec says something about you. Driving a truck says something about you. Driving a Miata says something about you. And driving a Camry says something about you. It says "I settled for this car". Just as ghost alluded to--some people just pick a car. Sorry that I equated that with settling for all things in life.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Popeye_Card wrote:Driving a Pontiac Aztec says something about you.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I'm happy with my '05 Camry. It's sturdy and reliable and gets me where I'm going comfortably which is all I really care about. And it's only at 75K miles so I probably have no worries for another 10 years or so.

I suppose I could've paid another $15K for something with a more bubbly personality though.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:I don't know if you are picking up what I am laying down. I'm not calling a Camry a crappy car. I'm calling it a boring car.

I'm sorry if that offends Camry drivers.
I'm not even sure what you're saying. What makes a car "boring", specifically?

I kinda agree with AW............. people who think of cars as status symbols are probably lacking some self esteem.
It's not that you should buy a car based on a status symbol because you shouldn't. it's that if you are going to spend your hard earned money on a car it should be more just some car. I know that sounds dumb as hell from the guy that drives the ultimate small penis machine but I feel like I have some credibility on the subject of cars. I'm on my phone exchange so I can't elaborate but maybe tomorrow.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

True, but everyone's opinion varies.

I know you love corvettes. I hate them. Think they are one of the ugliest cars made. My brother has an '11 my mom has an '10. They suck. I never ride in them, will always make an excuse why I have to take my truck. A Camry costs half of a vette, but even if they cost the same, I'd take a Camry. That's how ugly/uncomfortable I think a corvette is.

So what you may think is bland/boring, others may like.

I'm a truck guy...always had one, always will. Could care less what they look like on the outside, and am loyal to no brand (have a tundra now). I like sitting up high, and like to have plenty of room. Plus you can throw [expletive] in the back that you don't want in the cab.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I was gonna say, but got distracted at work, that for me all it has to do is run. I don't care if it takes 3 minutes to get up to 60 mph. I've never spent more than $3500 on a car (and that was for a truck that I needed to pull a boat). I understand that people get into cars.

But, if you're not into cars, I don't understand why anyone would spend any money at all. As has been mentioned, almost all cars are pretty reliable now and have been for the past umpteen years. It's not like the bottom is going to fall out of the engine. And, you can get a used Nissan or something like that for $1500 on craigslist. If it breaks down, [expletive] it, sell it for anything you can and go spend another $1500.

The average cost to drive a mile according to the gov is what like $0.55 (this includes everything from gas to depreciation to whatever). So, going with that, and assuming you get 20 mpg at $3.50/gallon and an oil change is $50 every 4,000 miles, the average cost is ($.175/mile for gas + $0.0125/mile for oil) we will round up and say $0.19/mile to drive. That leaves $0.36/mile for depreciation to zero which at $1500 only takes 4167 miles to get to.

Also, I love to show up in a [expletive] car. Yeah, everyone else might be driving BMWs and lexuseses and cadillacs or whatever. Not me. I'll show up in a Hyundai or 90s model silverado or nissan or whatever. [expletive] it dude. Cars as a symbol of status or wahtever are stupid. And I don't know why anyone that doesn't think so would spend money on a car above a couple thousand dollars.
I am with you 100%. Find me something cheap that gets me from A to B cheaply and reliably, and I'm in. We have a Nissan Versa and a used minivan, so a Camry is like a luxury car to us.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Radbird wrote:I'm happy with my '05 Camry. It's sturdy and reliable and gets me where I'm going comfortably which is all I really care about. And it's only at 75K miles so I probably have no worries for another 10 years or so.

I suppose I could've paid another $15K for something with a more bubbly personality though.
How was Applebee's last night? Did you just go with the pint of Bud Light, or step it up to the 23oz?

I am just joking around here about the Camry, but those of you who have lauded it have reinforced my point. It is a safe, reliable car that comfortably gets you from point A to point B. It is a fine car if you "just want a car". I drive an '01 Silverado. I'm not trying to make this about dropping $50k on a vehicle. What you drive does project part of your personality to others. A Camry says I just picked a car, possibly after reading Consumer Reports. My Silverado tells others that I bought one of the last of a dying breed--the step-side truck. And I financed it with the money I've saved over the years not buying Magnum Trojans. And I probably own 12 guns, even though I own zero.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

C'mon Popeye. I do have my limits. The last time I went to Applebee's it was fairly obvious that the riblets I ordered were made from rat meat.

Now we only went there because some stupid cousin gave us a gift card. There's still $8 bucks left on it though - maybe I'll use it sucking up Bud Lights at their bar. :cool:

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

I don't think you could glean any useful information about me by looking at any of the cars I have owned.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

cardsfantx wrote:True, but everyone's opinion varies.

I know you love corvettes. I hate them. Think they are one of the ugliest cars made. My brother has an '11 my mom has an '10. They suck. I never ride in them, will always make an excuse why I have to take my truck. A Camry costs half of a vette, but even if they cost the same, I'd take a Camry. That's how ugly/uncomfortable I think a corvette is.

So what you may think is bland/boring, others may like.

I'm a truck guy...always had one, always will. Could care less what they look like on the outside, and am loyal to no brand (have a tundra now). I like sitting up high, and like to have plenty of room. Plus you can throw [expletive] in the back that you don't want in the cab.

Well I didn't buy my Vette because I think it looks good. I bought it because it goes like hell, and with a few mods it goes faster then hell. It's been a life long goal to go 200+ at Bonneville and in six months I will do that. No other car can be driven across the country, driven 200 on the salt, and driven back for the money I've put into it. I've also already gone over 200mph on tarmac which is something you'd have to pay 100k+ to do in any other car. Sans maybe a heavily modded Camaro or Mustang. Bang for your buck performance there is no equal in existence. That's why I own a Vette. Granted I'm one of the maybe 1% of Vette owners who actually race their Vettes.

Mine will roll over 30k on it this spring and all of them have been hard earned. I've driven everything from Ferraris, Porsches, to custom built hot rods. I'm at the point in my life where I could buy pretty much any of those cars, and I'd buy my Vette again if something happened to mine tomorrow. A 200k Ferrari might be as fast as my Vette around a race track, but it's a delicate instrument to be driven with care and babied. The Vette is a sledge hammer. The solution to every problem in a Vette is get a bigger hammer.

I remember when I ran the Texas Mile two years ago, the first time I broke 200mph. This guy in a Ferrari 458 Italia chickened out at about 180. Back in the "pit" area he was loading it up at the end of the day on a trailer to drive home. A bunch of us were talking and he was afraid to drive it the 500 miles home, might hurt the value, wasn't comfortable, excuse after excuse. Meanwhile I was adjusting my suspension for the over 1000 mile drive me and my Vette had ahead of us. That's why I own a Vette, it is the workhorse of sports cars. I get some people don't like it, but to say you'd take a Camary over it shows you aren't a car person, you will never understand it no matter how hard someone tries to explain it. Go buy yourself a Camary, you should probably get it in silver or white so you can fit in with the rest of your subdivision.

It's not that the Camary is a bad car, it's that you can easily option a Camary to be a 30k dollar car. If you are willing to buy used, which everyone should do, there are some amazing choices under 30k. Too many to list. Even now new there are some good choices. My neighbor owns a Camary and paid 32k OTD. 32k! That is Cadillac ATS, and Mercedes CLA turf. Two immensely good cars for the same price as a freaking Camary it's nuts! However if I were shopping for a four door I wouldn't even go that expensive, I'd pick up a Cruze for 16k, or a Kia Optima which is amazing value for the price. (right around 20k) That's the real reason to hate a Camary. There are better cars for WAY less money. Here's a review I did of the Optima. 25k OTD, stellar car. http://www.infinite-garage.com/?p=1552

I guess my point is, and I preach this to everyone who comes to me for car shopping advice. DRIVE EVERYTHING YOU CAN AFFORD. Also don't rule out used cars. You just might be surprised at what is out there that isn't a Camary.