Phone bills

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: Phone bills

Post by tlombard »

I use a Moto G with Boost. I paid $130 for the phone but I think you can get it for $100 or less now) and I've been very happy with the phone and service. It took me 18 months to get there but starting out at $55/month for unlimited everything wasn't bad and now I'm at $40/month. If you pony up for a 4G phone with LTE, that is included too.

The only downside that I've had with Boost is that it only uses Sprints actual network so my phone doesn't work at the lake where I have land even though everyone else with Sprint can roam onto Verizon's network (or whoever). I'll get signal from time to Time but not often. I had switched from T-Mobile and they didn't get service anyway so I've learned to live with it.

Oh, and I guess the other downside is that you have to pay full price for the phone up front but over the long haul it is MUCH cheaper.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Michael wrote:My wife and I bought google nexus phones. The phone is great because it's powerful, inexpensive and you always get the latest/most pure form of the android OS. With the phones we signed-up for the t-mobile pre-paid 30 dollar unlimited 4G data and text with 100 voice min plan.

It's a great deal and I love not having a contract.

For our land line we use Ooma and that's been a great (inexpensive) experience too.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with what we're paying for our phones.

Still relevant. Great phone setup!

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I was going to go that same route with the Nexus a few months ago before I got my Moto G but then I found out that as of last month the apps that let you use your Google Voice account (the only number I use) would no longer work because Google was changing some things around. I don't use 100 voice minutes very often but there are rare months where I need to. I didn't feel like making the change to save $10/month and pay a bunch more for the phone. The Moto G isn't the most powerful but it is vanilla Android and works great. I had a 4G phone previously and honestly, the extra speed didn't really prove more useful. My music streams just fine over 3G! I can even get over 24 hours from the battery with my normal usage. My previous phone was lucky to get six or seven.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Michael wrote:
Michael wrote:My wife and I bought google nexus phones. The phone is great because it's powerful, inexpensive and you always get the latest/most pure form of the android OS. With the phones we signed-up for the t-mobile pre-paid 30 dollar unlimited 4G data and text with 100 voice min plan.

It's a great deal and I love not having a contract.

For our land line we use Ooma and that's been a great (inexpensive) experience too.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with what we're paying for our phones.

Still relevant. Great phone setup!
I'll take a look at that. It's a tradeoff. If I stay with Verizon I can get a really nice phone for free, but my monthly bill is higher. Buying my own phone up front but going to a cheaper monthly plan will eventually save money....since I have to do it for both myself and my wife, we'd be looking at 2 phones...it would take about a year give or take for it to pay off...Less if I go the used phone route.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I'm rocking an iPhone 4s still, mainly because i believe once I upgrade, i lose my (grandfather'd) unlimited data plan, since Verizon did away with those a couple years ago.

It still works just fine, although the 3G seems incredibly slow at times.

I had heard that they were eventually going to phase the unlimited plan out for those grandfather'd in, but haven't really heard anything new on it and i certainly don't wanna ask a Verizon rep--anyone got any new info on that?

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I've been looking at T Mobile. They have no stores here, and their main network is not here either. They have i wireless as their affiliate network here instead, and sadly, i wireless' plans are not quite as good. So I will have to see if I can get the T Mobile plans here or if they will make me deal with i wireless. At least i wireless has a deal that would save us quite a bit a month, but it is a contract deal, not a no contract deal.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

SEATTLE -- A few hours after Amazon unveiled the Fire Phone, I sat down with T-Mobile CEO John Legere, just ahead of his own crosstown "Uncarrier" event.

Legere had spent the previous day firing off tweets railing against what was then a rumored partnership between AT&T and Amazon. He was still on fire Wednesday when he called Amazon's presentation a "boring show." So I had to ask: Aren't you afraid of burning your bridges with the online retailing giant?

"F--- 'em," he said.
http://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-ceo-f ... -and-more/

nsfw - 80s action amazing-ness but language
[SHOW]

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Talked with Verizon yesterday to activate an old phone because my current one went kaput. They saw my contract ends next month and asked me if I was going to renew. I told them I was thinking of switching to Straight Talk to save some money. They went digging around and magically found me a couple deals. First, they said my wife's number was eligible for unlimited talk, text and 1GB of data for $50/month. 1GB will be plenty for my wife. And my number, which has been with Verizon for like 15 years, was eligible for unlimited talk, text, and 4GB of data for $50/month. This was a new offer and they were having some trouble implementing it. They said I'd get it but would text me when the switch was made. And these changes won't affect when either of us are eligible for a phone upgrade, either.

So it's worth talking to these people before you switch. I reduced my bill by like $35/month.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Several months ago I decided to also switch my cell phone plan to T-Mobile connect. For $15 a month I get unlimited voice and text with 2.5GB of high-speed data. The data amount is light, but during the pandemic I'm not using much phone data anyway. I can always upgrade to the $25 dollar plan which includes 5.5 gig of data. That should be more than enough for me during normal use.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Michael wrote:
March 25 21, 8:07 am
Several months ago I decided to also switch my cell phone plan to T-Mobile connect. For $15 a month I get unlimited voice and text with 2.5GB of high-speed data. The data amount is light, but during the pandemic I'm not using much phone data anyway. I can always upgrade to the $25 dollar plan which includes 5.5 gig of data. That should be more than enough for me during normal use.
Do you get the mlb.tv connection with that plan?