The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by IMADreamer »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Yes. Added half a rack of smoked ribs to a pot of chili. Cook in the chili for an hour or so and the meat will fall apart. Pull it out and chop it if you want smaller pieces. Highly recommend doing this. Best way to get smoke flavor into the chili without getting it too Smokey imo.

I have to try this.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

IMADreamer wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Yes. Added half a rack of smoked ribs to a pot of chili. Cook in the chili for an hour or so and the meat will fall apart. Pull it out and chop it if you want smaller pieces. Highly recommend doing this. Best way to get smoke flavor into the chili without getting it too Smokey imo.

I have to try this.
The one thing to keep in mind is if you follow something along the lines of 3-2-1 where it's smoked, then wrapped, then glazed and seared, it will probably take a little more on the front end smoking. I usually go closer to 2.5-1-15 minutes at 250-275 degrees. For me at least, the ribs don't get up to the 195 degree range until they're wrapped and then cooked longer. The crockpot on high is around 185 degrees, so to get them really 'cooked' it'll take more time on the smoker as you want them fully cooked as the crockpot isn't hot enough to finish it. The crockpot just turns them into a moist meat (obviously). The added smoke is definitely not an issue for the ribs as it all gets absorbed into the chili which can handle a lot of that flavor, imo. Also, if the ribs don't get all the way up into that 195+ temp range, even after sitting int he crockpot, the meat can still be a little chunky and not the fall apart consistency. Regardless, if you want the rib meat really small, it's not tough to take it out of the chili after an hour or so and chop it up like you're pulling it.

The biggest question I still struggle with is rather or not to glaze the ribs with honey before adding the ribs to the chili...because it's really a question of adding straight honey into the chili. The way I usually do it is to not add honey to the ribs going into the chili, then go ahead and wrap the remaining half with honey/butter like normal and add the juice from that into the chili.

I will say, it's definitely worth doing. It turns out really well.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I do this w/ turkey after Thanksgiving. Leftover smoked bird goes in chili. It's ok the day I make the chili. It's great the next day after it's sat in the fridge overnight.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Chili is always better the next day! (Unless crockpot meat has been added)

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:Chili is always better the next day! (Unless crockpot meat has been added)
[SHOW]

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:Chili is always better the next day! (Unless crockpot meat has been added)
Crockpot meat aside, ground or chunks of meat?

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Crockpot meat aside, ground or chunks of meat?
Either. For regular chili I use ground chuck. Alot of it with very few beans.

If I have leftover brisket or pulled pork, the brisket will usually start out as chunked but end up more shredded. Pulled pork is usually pulled/shredded.

If I have leftovers from a rib roast (prime rib) that usually goes in a pot of vegetable soup.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Always Chunky Chili

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

33anda3rd wrote:Always Chunky Chili
I’m on Team Chunky Chili. The meat chunks can carry so much more of the flavor of the anchos and guajillos and the cascabels.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

lukethedrifter wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:Always Chunky Chili
I’m on Team Chunky Chili. The meat chunks can carry so much more of the flavor of the anchos and guajillos and the cascabels.
Also one of the most important things in soup/stew/chili is fat, which brings mouthfeel, which makes flavor better. I want to see those little beads of fat on the top, but not too many. I want this any any soup--ramen, pho, chicken noodle, so on. You can regulate that a lot better by buying whatever your cut--sirloin, tri-tip, whatever--and breaking it down as you please, regulating the fat %.

Also I'm a staunch no-bean chili guy unless I'm making a vegetarian chili, and I want it texture-wise to have something to chew on, and ground beef doesn't do the trick like some cubed beef.